Star Trek TOS - Type 2 Phaser

DB537

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I recently got an Anycubic Mono resin 3d printer. The Wand Co. Phasers are out of production now and have become super expensive recently, so I decided to make this type 2 Phaser as a test piece to take the place of the Wand Phaser that I sold earlier this year.

This replica was made from the 'midgrade' phaser files that are posted on Thingiverse. After a couple of failed prints due to incorrect settings, the parts turned out great, with very little sanding needed to remove the print lines before painting. I added some metal and acrylic detail parts from eBay to make it look a little better. As with all of my prop builds, there are no electronics or lighting.

The P1 is a solid piece with no metal, only the one added acrylic part. The silver details on the P1 were masked and painted on. The rectangular depressed area for the 'sight' on top was filled with Elmer's Glue-All, which dries clear and gives just the right amount of color contrast to make it look like a separate clear part. Apoxie Sculpt was used to fill in the curved gap in front of the metal fins, and I had to do some other minor Dremel work, filling, and sanding before painting the parts.

I used Zynolyte Dark Gray primer for the P1 base color, Krylon 'Acryli-Quik' Shadow Gray for the P2 body, and Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic for the handle/power pack. The Krylon Acryli-Quik is an excellent acrylic lacquer spray paint that dries fast and has worked great for everything that I've used it on so far. Rustoleum in any form is difficult to work with and takes forever to dry. I avoid it whenever possible, but haven't found a decent replacement yet for this specific paint. The Zynolyte primer works well enough, but I may try to find an alternative the next time I make one of these.

TOS Phaser II - 1.jpg

I recently got an Anycubic Mono resin 3d printer. The Wand Co. Phasers are out of production now and have become super expensive recently, so I decided to make this type 2 Phaser as a test piece to take the place of the Wand Phaser that I sold earlier this year.

This replica was made from the 'midgrade' phaser files that are posted on Thingiverse. After a couple of failed prints due to incorrect settings, the parts turned out great, with very little sanding needed to remove the print lines before painting. I added some metal and acrylic detail parts from eBay to make it look a little better. As with all of my prop builds, there are no electronics or lighting.

The P1 is a solid piece with no metal, only the one added acrylic part. The silver details on the P1 were masked and painted on. The rectangular depressed area for the 'sight' on top was filled with Elmer's Glue-All, which dries clear and gives just the right amount of color contrast to make it look like a separate clear part. Apoxie Sculpt was used to fill in the curved gap in front of the metal fins, and I had to do some other minor Dremel work, filling, and sanding before painting the parts.

I used Zynolyte Dark Gray primer for the P1 base color, Krylon 'Acryli-Quik' Shadow Gray for the P2 body, and Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic for the handle/power pack. The Krylon Acryli-Quik is an excellent acrylic lacquer spray paint that dries fast and has worked great for everything that I've used it on so far. Rustoleum in any form is difficult to work with and takes forever to dry. I avoid it whenever possible, but haven't found a decent replacement yet for this specific paint. The Zynolyte primer works well enough, but I may try to find an alternative the next time I make one of these.

View attachment 1374323
beautifully made!

Thanks everyone!

It turned out well, but I really can't take much credit for the end result. The 3D files were made by Shipbrook on Thingiverse, who I think may be an inactive member here. The metal and acrylic parts were made by Jon Paul Lussier. All I did was print the parts, paint them, and put all the pieces together.

I hope to be able to learn 3D modeling well enough to eventually create my own props someday, but I'm not quite there yet.

Excellent job! This looks about as close to the actual Hero screen porp as anything I've seen.

You said you used the mid-grade 3D file by Shipbrook on Thingiverse. Are there any others you have come across since then that you think are more accurate to the actual screen hero prop? I'm working on a Rubies mod now, but I want to do a 3D print after that.

Excellent job! This looks about as close to the actual Hero screen prop as anything I've seen.

You said you used the mid-grade 3D file by Shipbrook on Thingiverse. Are there any others you have come across since then that you think are more accurate to the actual screen hero prop? I'm working on a Rubies mod now, but I want to do a 3D print after that.
I haven't found anything better yet, but it's good enough for now.

I haven't found anything better yet, but it's good enough for now.
After taking a look at a lot of reference photos, and looking at that Shipbrook file, it's pretty good actually... I'm working on a Colt 1911 right now oh, but when I'm done, the phaser is next!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back