Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread *Last Updated 12/01/13*

torx

Thread edited because of lost pictures.

so heres the final result + some in progress pics

i used various sizes of foam, chest mostly 10mm, chest sides 6mm.
back 10mm, with orange portions being 6mm
helmet a mix of 6mm and 3mm
biceps/forearms 6mm
thighs 10mm, shins 10mm and portions 6mm, with the boot shields being 3mm
i used doc's pva-mod podge-plastidip-duplicolor primer/primer adhesive/paint method. Worked out very well with little to no cracking. Wrinkles can be taken out with a hairdryer.
I used walgreens push button lights for the hand and eyes. A push button was glued onto the side of the helmet, with a wire going down into the back where the batteries were. A multicolor tri-led light was mounted in the chest.
I didnt get to finish the abs/boots/elbows/ and a few other things..

as of 12/01/13 i plan on getting the suit back out, heating out the wrinkles, finishing what needs to be done, and repainting. I'll update this thread again when i begin.

FNxgz4F.jpg

7EBflr2.jpg

bpuY8ap.jpg

IzYZ3tm.jpg

LZc1Of7.jpg

kiX9Xd9.jpg

OI8COTn.jpg

ToEBvNJ.jpg

ILGmFDC.jpg

LAdBpMV.jpg

eQrxWi6.jpg

yUjI3JF.jpg

IQMQvQp.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread

I like the helmet! I am working on the same one right now in pep. I am modifying it at the moment to be 7 from 6. I would love to see the pics you taked about, but your link is broken at the moment! could you fix it? I am not sure what to do with foam, but good luck and I will keep an eye on this!

you put some fiberglass resin on foam ? it didnt melt ? also if you want a good helmet you defenetly want to make it in reg pep

Looking good. I also did the foam, resin, bondo for the helmet take your time if you pile it on to thick and you'll be sanding for days also spray what you think is smooth and true with a bit of primer run the sand paper over this will show you the low spots.

Good luck
P.S. I'm going to start a new helmet tomorrow after building the mark VI suit my pep skills and line work have gotten much better. Now I see all the mistakes. I'm also going to put the resin on the hole mask first then cut out the face mask I messed up the jaw doing it separate.

Cheers

See my mark VI build
http://www.therpf.com/f24/first-build-mark-vi-my-5-year-161023/

you put some fiberglass resin on foam ? it didnt melt ? also if you want a good helmet you defenetly want to make it in reg pep

The resin works great on the foam I did the inside and the outside of the helmet to stiffen it up only draw back is if you 5 year old son wants to put it on and run into doors with it the foam still moves and the bondo + glass cracks

See my mark VI build
http://www.therpf.com/f24/first-build-mark-vi-my-5-year-161023/

yeah but since the fb resin is heating while curing ; it happened alot of time tthat littertly melted the foam

awesome input, thanks guise.

nah didnt melt the foam, i slopped it on without even thinking about it.
i woullda been mad pissed if it just melted in my hands.

and YES, i shoulda went with my gut instinct and kept the faceplate on to keep it structurally stable while i resin it. but oh well.
its been almost 24hrs and its only tacky now. given its cold out, so i'll put some heat on it or run another layer with double hardener.

i'll glass the inside today, another layer of resin on top, and hopefully i can really bondo by friday. this is quite, a process. i'd like to just resin THEN bondo, but it needs some strength. Im trying to learn about this process so i can move forward with other pieces and maybe make things easier.

awesome builds too guys, i had lurked those thread before and was inspired.

Im very interested. I was considering doing exactly what you are doing here. (maybe next time) Im glad its working for you. I would suggest however that you get some fiberglass mat and add it to the inside to give the structure real strength. very interested to see how this comes out. good luck!

okay, so i pulled out the fiberglass sheet, long sleeves, goggles, respirator, gloves, pants..
pulled it out to cut and i could just see the little shards of glass spears falling off onto my clothes. at that point i said fugg it and wrapped it up and disposed of it. im scared of that stuff.

so i put another layer of xtra-hardened resin inside and outside the pieces.

im thinking about using a bondo product with impregnated fiberglass already in it??
is there such a thing? im trying to avoid these wild stray fiberglass hairs as much as possible. or else i'mma start looking into strengthening alternatives. that fiberglass stuff is scary

EDIT: im thinking newspaper. we did projects in hs using elmers glue and newspaper. hardened like a rock. so thats def an alternative. i could use newspaper and resin or glue i guess.

Last edited:

Rather than using fibreglass matting, try using fibreglass cloth instead. I used that for my Cap shield and it doesn't fray and fall apart like the matting does. It's almost like using a smooth cotton sheet except it's made of fibreglass. Below is a link to the place I buy it from with a pic of it, it's an Australian place but you should be able to find a supplier of a similar product wherever you are I would imagine:

http://www.amcsupplies.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_136&products_id=264

Also there on the first page of my build thread (in my signature) of it having been used and you can see what sort of material it is in the pics where it's overhanging the edge of my shield base. I have had no problems with it fraying or falling apart, I even store it rolled up inside my house with no problems.

What I did for my helmet, and am still working on it. Is i took rags and cut them into roughly 2x2 inch squares. layered them with white glue on the inside and then used something called foamcoat instead of bondo. gets really hard and is water based, which is nice, a company called rosco makes it.
my thread can be found here
http://www.therpf.com/f24/perfectionists-ironman-mark-vii-large-update-page-156255/

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/05/12**

10/05/12 Scrapped original helmet after resin caused it to deform. learned my lesson and redid another helmet with thicker foam 6mm, and braced with wood dowels. resin coated two times on top, once so far inside. Saturday i should begin to attempt fiberglassing after getting a scare introduction a few days ago. Also started on darkside's mark vii suit. thanks dude!

the helmet seems to be alot wider at the top. i guess cuz i didnt cut 90's like i should have, but it fits great and after i fiberglass and bondo i'll cut it all apart.

which leaves to ask, what should my next step be?
fiberglass the inside, THEN cut?? or fiberglass inside, bondo outside and inside, THEN cut?? im confused on what i should do. seeing as this is foam and not paper.

as for the rest of the suit, imma cut precise as i can and just spray with plastidip
T7lMb.jpg

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/08/12**

update, i put in some work sunday.

- finished biceps (need cutting for better arm movement and allow pushing up further close to the shoulder pads)
- finished elbows (waiting to decide what imma do for hinging)
- finished shoulders
- finished one hand, it looks like poo compared to others here, its been the hardest to get right. imma add a bit more foam layer to it and dremel edges to give it a more rounded look
- helmet needs sanding and bondo.

8HKlX.jpg

VHBR1.jpg

4OETN.jpg

kTpgt.jpg

0jiG0.jpg

bvChr.jpg

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/08/12**

bought more foamies, working with black is harder, i ended up using my silver sharpie marker to see my cutlines better.
everything is kinda easy to slip on and off
got the upper/lower forearms done today.
Still got the handplates and dremel work to do on the hands.
i'm leaving the fingers out of this build for now unless i have time. its low priority.
biceps are kinda big, but i have large triceps and upper arms so its kinda hard to scale it right for my small frame.

JjuRD.jpg

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/15/12**

gotten alot done, but it seems like the to-do list just keeps getting longer as i find more stuff to do and i got a deadline by the 27th, actually the 26th.

ive make a great hurdle by accomplishing the back, took two days but it fits like a glove (unchanged scale so darkside must be my same height)
- finished neck, upper lower forearms, thighs
- made it to the bondo process on my helmet
- lots of little tweaks left to do, trimming for proper fitment, hinges for arms and legs, and figureing out how to clasp everything together. i got a few snaps from the craft store but they require alot of pressure and tension to unsnap. so i dunno. I think i'll goto the fabric store and get those plastic push locks that backpacks have.
- also picked up all the necessary items for sealing and painting via docholiday's tutorial

heres a few pics

used varying thickness, 10mm and 6mm, also improvised in a few places to smooth out and lower build time
xx4NU.jpg

quick shot of the led push button light temp attached to the hand. will embed alot smoother and flush later b4 paint. your basic 3 pack tri-led push buttons from the drug store
ydRC3.jpg

im moving at a much slower pace than everyone else here, so i gotta skip the boots and wear a pair of custom iron man nikes imma do. and the wraparound for the abs, and finglets.

Last edited:
Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/15/12**

Lol mate you're moving a lot faster than I am on my stepdaughers build...I haven't even finished the back yet...It's annoying the hell out of me. 6hrs work on it and I've only just finished up the shoulder strap parts because of all the fiddly little bits. So you're doing just fine! Keep going and you'll get there.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back