Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread *Last Updated 12/01/13*

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/15/12**

:) thanks guys. P4r4, dunno if youre using foam or not, but i sped up the shoulder straps part by combining the small little parts into one big part. so i had one big side, one big top, and one big side. then mirrored for the other strap. i can paint the "separation" details later. but i think the shoulder straps were the most time consuming.

im losing confidence in my helmet. day two and i got a little crazy with the sand paper and lost my resin lines. so i gotta build a few areas back up with bondo. man this is such an arduous task its unbelievable.

this is after three thin layers of bondo with sanding in between each coat.
it seems like im just adding bondo and sanding it back off, rinse and repeat.. like its neverending. :( really getting frustrated and losing hope. i dont wanna start over.
still got some sanding to do, but suns down so i gotta call it a day.
ARslc.jpg
6GbGF.jpg
0YCmt.jpg

i know theres some areas that have lost control, so i can dremel that later.
learning as i go and trying to understand the bondo process and the point of it and how to use it like it should. I need guidance so i dont waste any more time, so i'll be reading up on the fiberglass/bondo threads

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/15/12**

The best tips that I have found in terms of Bondo usage is to only use a little amount, don't slather it on to begin with, then slowly build it up. Once it's mostly smooth you only need to use a glazing putty or something similar to fill the little holes and dents left over.

As for the shoulder straps, yeah I thought of doing that AFTER I was halfway through building them at which point I went "Ah bugger it" and just kept going lol...Had I realised it would be at arduous as that I probably would have planned a head a little more lol. It has definitely been the most fiddly/time consuming part thus far.

Oh, and yes, I am using foam lol.

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/23/12**

well, heres an update.

short on time, i put the fiberglass helmet on hold. i just dont have the time to bondo and resculpt the helmet. so i made a 3rd helmet, and im gonna docholiday it and after halloween i'll make it animated. its the best helmet ive made so i dont wanna screw it up.

so far everything got a a coat of elmers, 1 coat matte mod podge, 1 coat gloss mod podge, 2-3 coats plastidip, 2 coats adhesion promoter, 2 coats primer. now imma let it dry maybe sand a bit and then spray the metalflakes.

im a little dissapointed in how the edges turned out, i thought with all the different layers of paints the gaps would have filled and my edges would be cleaner and realistic.
nope. mine ended up being gapped, and lots of little spikey spots. i went over all my edges with a glue gun to flatten everything out for better prep, but it looks like it didnt help much. Hopefully when i give it the gloss color and a clearcoat all that will be less visible.

mod podge, gloss coat
8QrSD.jpg

FJVQl.jpg

helmet looks great, no brush marks at all. three coats of plastidip.
motJ1.jpg

look at my edges. i dunno what to do about it. they give awful shadows, but im thinking the metalflake red and gloss will hide them better
ZrFq0.jpg

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/23/12**

some pic updates. suit is kinda final for now. i probably wont continue the build for a while i burnt myself out real fast. took a total month and half to complete. 8-10 hours everyday on it. :\ but its well worth it, it came out great thanks to docholiday and darkside and others who helped. fits great, just gotta build the boots, a new ab wraparound, fingers, and better hip pods. and paint touchups from the party last night, sustained battle damage, probably because i didnt clear coat it.

enjoy the pics.

ECQmH.jpg

zCIP4.jpg

uYCMv.jpg

efWt8.jpg

jqP0R.jpg

gRxqQ.jpg

weB2e.jpg

vM7ll.jpg

OSWIs.jpg

tqCqa.jpg

EWCMP.jpg

Re: Torx' Iron Man Mark VII Foam Build Thread **Last Updated 10/28/12**

heres a question to the IEEE buffs out there.

when i get the patience and time, i'd like to simplify my led and wiring setup.
currently, as you can see its basically two of the pushbutton led lights with wire extensions that i soldered on. and theyre joined to where it takes one push button to turn both on. the cable going out the back and down into the chest area to two aaa battery packs. i kinda suck at circuitry design, but the only component i see on these push button boards are a single resistor bridged between the positive battery point and switch

i'd like to have a very simple and low profile wiring setup with button cells and a single button switch to alleviate the rear cable and battery packs in teh chest. any ideas?

ILGmFDC.jpg

Last edited:

thanks, nah theyre the push button led pods you can get in the three packs at local drug store, walmart, etc etc I desoldered the leds and added extension wires.

heres another pic i recieved, i'd like to put together an inner insert around the arm pits that close the gaps of my undershirt. maybe somethng with some parts and doodads that give it a technical working look.

tEFoP.jpg

had a little photoshoot by myself...
imma hold off on finishing the mark 7 in favor of the ip/wm from im3 ;)

Last edited:

great build!
Was wondering, have you (or anyone) thought of using Glospex for the eyes? Only just discovered them myself this week. Would thought you could get away with using the blue ones for IM

glospex is a wonderful idea, has anyone implemented this yet to any suit?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back