Top Gun: Maverick

280852703_5546971731982262_5014546880122226297_n.jpg

Just saw this in IMAX. Absolutely AWESOME! So much fun, really. Filming blew away expectations by far. I cant even begin to explain the scope of the amazing shots they were able to capture. Worth seeing just for that alone. In IMAX you can feel the roar of the jets in your chest. I love the original and was jumping out of my seat with excitement waiting for this to start. Watching it made me feel like a kid again. I'm probably not being entirely objective but in this moment I really don't care. Looking forward to seeing it again Friday. Enjoy!

Just saw this in IMAX. Absolutely AWESOME! So much fun, really. Filming blew away expectations by far. I cant even begin to explain the scope of the amazing shots they were able to capture. Worth seeing just for that alone. In IMAX you can feel the roar of the jets in your chest. I love the original and was jumping out of my seat with excitement waiting for this to start. Watching it made me feel like a kid again. I'm probably not being entirely objective but in this moment I really don't care. Looking forward to seeing it again Friday. Enjoy!
Was lucky enough to check it out tonight - was absolutely a ton of fun. Hope you all dig it as much as I did.

Just saw it in Imax. Wow!
That’s how you stay true to source material AND make an awesome update.
So fun and the aerial footage alone was worth the price of admission.

Might have to catch this again at the theater.

We saw it today. No Imax near us. This made up for having to miss Celebration due to a death in the family.
It was so damn good. I am ready to see it again as soon as possible. It truly was worth the wait.

Just got back from seeing it. Liked it overall, but there were lots of corny and cheesy parts that had me rolling my eyes. The younger cast was not believable in their roles at all. Enjoyed all the callbacks to the original and the climax was great in IMAX.

Absolutely loved this start to finish. I enjoyed it way more than the classic original, and IMO they improved on literally everything, the visuals blew me away and had me wondering if I was too old to join the Navy/Air force to fly planes lol, I will definitely see this again with my father who also loves planes.

Saw it last night. Thumbs up.

It stays inside the box of expectations (mass commercial appeal, fan service, etc). But it's about the best movie they could have made within those limits.

Just got back from seeing it. Liked it overall, but there were lots of corny and cheesy parts that had me rolling my eyes. The younger cast was not believable in their roles at all. Enjoyed all the callbacks to the original and the climax was great in IMAX.

How do we identify spoilers?

There are spoilers ahead (ye be warned)...

Agreed...

I'm too old school to accept that Hollywood must bring in new blood, and wasn't thrilled with the new young cast, and their banter seemed - eh - fake. Just was not emotionally vested in these characters, with the exception of Rooster...

Actually liked how they essentially templated the original (similar to how The Force Awakens did).

Wanted a deeper dive into the emotional conflicts of Rooster / Maverick / loss of Goose - would rather have seen a bit more of that in place of the invented "Maverick held him back in school" subplot (though I suppose / concede the two are tangentially related).

The new mission and training got a bit tedious, but it worked - they needed a 'vehicle' to carry the plot through training and final act / conflict, and the bombing run worked for this purpose.

Knew they'd come up with some contrived manner in which to place Mitchell & Bradshaw back in the seats of a Tomcat... Contrived as it was, it was handled well. A lessor movie would have fumbled this. Strong nod to the fact that they didn't just jump into the cockpit, and fire her up.

EDIT: And I loved seeing Maverick in an F-14; not gonna lie!

Loved all the nods to the original (beyond the overall templating) - too many to cite, but even Penny's (was her last name mentioned?) car being a 30+ year-old Porsche...

Most poignant of the film was the manner in which they handled Ice Man...

EDIT: How they handing Ice Man AND how they handled Val Kilmer - graceful, respectful, deftly handled...

Last edited:
Damn it you guys. I swore I wasn't going to see this movie.

Everyone has that one movie (besides Star Wars) that they grew up with, watched a gagillion times, always quote, obsessed over, and know in their heart of hearts that no sequel could ever possibly live up to. For me, that movie is Top Gun. How dare they make a sequel?! Probably going to be a crappy cgi fest!!! I even avoided the trailer because there's no way it could entice me. That's why I haven't even commented in this thread. There's no following perfection. That's right, I said perfection!

Now hearing all the praise I'm wondering if there might be a chance. Dare I dream that a modern sequel to a classic movie could actually be good??? I'm eventually going to curiosity watch it when it's available on TV or streaming but catching it in IMAX sounds like the way to watch if it really is this good.

Damn it you guys. I swore I wasn't going to see this movie.

Everyone has that one movie (besides Star Wars) that they grew up with, watched a gagillion times, always quote, obsessed over, and know in their heart of hearts that no sequel could ever possibly live up to. For me, that movie is Top Gun. How dare they make a sequel?! Probably going to be a crappy cgi fest!!! I even avoided the trailer because there's no way it could entice me. That's why I haven't even commented in this thread. There's no following perfection. That's right, I said perfection!

Now hearing all the praise I'm wondering if there might be a chance. Dare I dream that a modern sequel to a classic movie could actually be good??? I'm eventually going to curiosity watch it when it's available on TV or streaming but catching it in IMAX sounds like the way to watch if it really is this good.
Ron... it really is that good. I saw it a second time today and I enjoyed it just as much if not more since I could focus more on the little things I missed the first time. I saw the original in the theater and still remember like it was yesterday. I could not be happier with what they did with this movie.
Now as far as the new cast... watching it the second time made them more enjoyable. Because now I had some familiarity to them. They were as fleshed out as the original characters were IMO.
I have seen multiple times now about the character Penny. I am trying to figure out how the people who say they are fans of the original don't know who she is. While we never saw her she was referenced twice in the original.

I have seen multiple times now about the character Penny. I am trying to figure out how the people who say they are fans of the original don't know who she is. While we never saw her she was referenced twice in the original.

Totally...

"...and one Admiral's daughter...!!"

"Penny Benjamin...?

"And YOU, *******..."

Well - we all know the rest!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back