Top Gun: Maverick

This is by far my most anticipated movie of the year.

I don't know about that. I'm interested only because i saw the featurette before SW about them sticking 6 IMAX cameras in the cockpit of the F18 and wanting to bring you as close as you can to being in the plane.

Man, I really don't want to be excited for this movie. I saw the latest trailer in IMAX in front of Ghostbusters and ok I'm kinda excited for this movie now.

So, honest admission here. I was never a fan of the original 1986 film. Saw it once in the theater.
With this new trailer, you can pretty much guess the entire plot. Seems like it will be by-the-numbers.

And military members here on TheRPF: any interviews I have ever seen with military pilots, they seem to be extremely competent but also very composed/reserved individuals. They respect authority and the chain of command. I'm NOT saying that we don't have hotheads and prima-donnas in the U.S. military, but the original Top Gun and the sequel trailer make the pilots out to be cocky, condescending, overly confident individuals who feel better than everyone else and aren't afraid to express their views and raise conflict with their superior officers.

...is that really the case with combat pilots? I'm honestly asking., as I can't imagine that is the type of persona the military fosters or desires.

And this kid, last seen playing with Starscream in the original film....
29.jpg

...is now all grown up, and blames Maverick for his daddy (Goose's) death.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
So, honest admission here. I was never a fan of the original 1986 film. Saw it once in the theater.
With this new trailer, you can pretty much guess the entire plot. Seems like it will be by-the-numbers.

And military members here on TheRPF: any interviews I have ever seen with military pilots, they seem to be extremely competent but also very composed/reserved individuals. They respect authority and the chain of command. I'm NOT saying that we don't have hotheads and prima-donnas in the U.S. military, but the original Top Gun and the sequel trailer make the pilots out to be cocky, condescending, overly confident individuals who feel better than everyone else and aren't afraid to express their views and raise conflict with their superior officers.

...is that really the case with combat pilots? I'm honestly asking., as I can't imagine that is the top of persona the military fosters or desires.
Fighter pilots are, to a certain degree, fairly cocky individuals, it's one of the character traits that they look for in fighter pilots. But they're not like what you see in movies and TV, that's just an exaggeration to help sell the character and the plot. Military personnel, particularly at the more junior levels (both enlisted and officers) while trained and encouraged to use their own initiative and judgment, aren't generally inclined to directly disobey orders.

...is that really the case with combat pilots? I'm honestly asking., as I can't imagine that is the top of persona the military fosters or desires.

And this kid, last seen playing with Starscream in the original film....
View attachment 1560878

...is now all grown up, and blames Maverick for his daddy (Goose's) death.

View attachment 1560877
Aaand apparently decided to copy his aesthetic right down to the mustache?

Well they had to scour the movie multiple times to appease China. They wanted to make sure it wasn't just Maverick's Taiwan tour patch...

It doesn't make sense because the only big powers the U.S./NATO would be fighting now would be Russia or China, with China being the most likely. So I'm not sure who the bad guys will be in this, though Russia always works.

I agree with JoeG back in NOV , didn’t think I would be excited. Thought this would be a stream at home deal, then I saw the trailer in IMAX before the Batman and wow am I looking forward to it. That iconic bell/gong noise then the jets ripping by out of nowhere….. oh yeah

This sequel has been long sought after and now finally happening many folks are excited. In my opinion to simply see a continuation of some sort and on another level just see what has transpired for Pete Mitchell aKa Maverick. I always fall back to what Jerry Bruckheimer said in the first trailer this movie is a love letter to aviation. I am hoping it’s a good solid movie great flying etc etc. It may inspire the next generation of Aviators to join and fly for the military. Anyways I have worked with all kinds of military pilots and depending what pilot you talk to it’s a mixed bag.

Many pilots are cool headed, composed, level headed and down to earth. They don’t gaff off anyone and actually listen because you never know if they will run into you again or serve together at a different commands. Now there are pilots who think they are greatest thing to fly in the skies and big egos. Those pilots really don’t last to long because their egos get them in trouble eventually.

Military pilots breakout into different sections depending how they do in flight school and how they score. Sometimes based on the needs of the Navy, Airforce etc etc.
Fixed Wing (Jets and Turbo Props) or Rotary Wing (Different types of Helicopters). There are other aircraft, but I just mention these.

Last edited:
Many pilots are cool headed, composed, level headed and down to earth. They don’t gaff off anyone and actually listen because you never know if they will run into you again or serve together at a different commands. Now there are pilots who think they are greatest thing to fly in the skies and big egos. Those pilots really don’t last to long because their egos get them in trouble eventually.
So...their egos write checks that their bodies can't cash?

Aaand apparently decided to copy his aesthetic right down to the mustache?
Facial hair regulations in the military are fairly strict, and mustaches are one of the few things that are permitted.

As I shared with one of my friends, I’m unreasonably excited for this movie. Top Gun was a classic in our house growing up. And as much as I don’t like Cruise’s personally, one can’t refute that he makes some awesome action movies!

Sean

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back