Tomenosuke Blade Runner Blaster OG Edition

The OG? I think so, but take my word for it. I'm a newbie.
20210409_171303.jpg

I was able remove the white wash on the grips by soaking them for a few hours in SimpleGreen and brushing it off with a nylon brush and some wooden toothpicks.

My OG kit arrived from Japan to the UK this week. Wasn’t even delayed for customs fees, just went straight through (somebody told me we just signed a free trade deal with Japan which, if true, is great news for model kits). It joins my 2017 first-release ‘2049’ kit and my 2018 second-release ‘2049’ kit. One ghost and one LAPD done with those two. Now to tackle the screen-accurate version.

A433235F-01C5-41E3-AB19-27C5FA9F0AEB.jpeg

After owning a couple of the wonderful Tomenosuke guns (and giving up on and selling a Sidkit (RIP)) I came upon my holy grail blaster.

In 2016 I was lucky enough to purchase 1 of 20 Tomenosuke blasters with hand-polished prep and blueing by Nobutaka Toku himself. When they were first announced on his blog I never stopped harassing Mune from Styles On Video JP until I could get on that list. I don't know how many of these gems made it to the US but I have one of them. I think there's one other guy on this forum who owns one, too.

I prefer the blueing because that is how it looked to me ever since I was that stunned teenager watching this film in 1982 and countless times on VHS.

Here's an old photo that is unfortunately watermarked by Photobucket. I'll post better ones when I get a chance.

The photos don't do it justice. The barrel/slide are actually a deep blued mirror finish, like a Colt Python from the 1970's.

tomenosuke.jpg

I had the Pro and sold it off . The paint finish for me ruins the gun . They have to blue these barrels like the signature edition . That flat finish is terrible you look at it and it scuffs . Not sure why when they update these that is not the first thing they fix .

Ok, last mod!
I got the replacement grips today and swapped them out with the stock set that had all the stark white paint in the checkering.
I think these look way better! The color is slightly richer than the stock grips, and now I've finally got a blaster that I'd be proud to use to blow away renegade replicants. ;)
Thanks again to all those who modded theirs and showed that a remarkable prop can be improved upon.

View attachment 1435486
Hello, I was wondering where you got replacement grips at?

As I mentioned yesterday, the conversion on my OG is finished! (Except for the grips, which should be here by the middle of next week.)
Here are a couple of overall shots to start things off.

View attachment 1432846 View attachment 1432847

Next, I'll show the work I did on each component. I didn't do a 100% teardown. I left the trigger and hammer assemblies intact on the Bulldog portion. As far as that goes, the biggest mod was to replace the existing barrel. I got a beautiful blued steel barrel from a vendor on ebay, and swapped it out by carefully cutting the Tomenosuke barrel off. This was the most nerve wracking step for me! I did it by hand with a fine hacksaw, and then sanded the nub smooth. It went really well though, and the real steel barrel looks amazing.

View attachment 1432851 View attachment 1432852

I also used a red Scotchbrite pad to polish the exposed parts of the Bulldog body, including the cylinder. This lightened those areas and gave them more of a metallic look.

I also removed the grip frame and polished it with 0000 steel wool. This exposed the underlying silver metal so that it can be seen much better through the amber grips.

View attachment 1432853 View attachment 1432854

On the Steyr upper and the trigger guard, I soaked the parts in white vinegar and then used steel wool to remove the factory finish. I probably soaked them for a total of around 4 1/2 hours, doing 2 or 3 rounds of scrubbing. I disassembled the parts before soaking.

I bought a bottle of Novacan liquid, which I had read about in another Tomenosuke thread, and applied it to all the parts, after I had cleaned them with acetone. After applying the Novacan and rinsing the parts, I lightly went over them with steel wool to even out the finish.

View attachment 1432855 View attachment 1432856

I did some light overall scuffing on the plastic Steyr magazine, then used an X-acto blade to add some scratches. All scratches throughout the process were referenced from Karl Tate's incredible Worldcon photos.
I even carefully carved out the small missing chunk above the on/off switch.

View attachment 1432857 View attachment 1432863 View attachment 1432864

On the side plates, I used an X-acto blade again to add some surface scrapes and a minimal amount of chips.

View attachment 1432865 View attachment 1432866 View attachment 1432868

View attachment 1432869 View attachment 1432870

The right side plate was also the only place I used any paint at all: the little nick on the binding post. I used a tiny amount of brass metalizer on it.

View attachment 1432871

I did some chipping on the butt plate, and also added the small gouges on the rear area.

View attachment 1432872 View attachment 1432873

I slightly reworked the weathering on the backstrap, as the stock weathering pattern was basically a smooth curve.

View attachment 1432874

So that's pretty much it! A very satisfying process to improve, in my opinion, an already outstanding replica.

Thanks to everyone who previously posted their tips and techniques on their own Tomenosuke conversions! They were immensely helpful.

"Have a better one!" ;)
Just got mine. So.its normal to have it look like it's missing a screw on the back of the grip huh?

Just got my og. Is it normal for the revolver part that holds the bullets to rattle when I shake the gun?and moves A little when I tip it over. And the sniper bolt thing to come up really easy when I pull it up? And the back of grips look like it's missing a screw.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back