Tomenosuka PKD Issues

NakedBrain

Hey folks,

I just received my Tomen PKD, 2049 version, from Hollywood Collectibles, and I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed.

I took a year to pay, and was so excited to finally receive it, but that quickly faded when I opened the box. The first thing I noticed was that the box had already been opened, apparently, as there was some residue from what looks like fingers that had something on them, on the the foam topper. I pulled the PKD out, and noticed it had been put back in the bag hastily, because it wasn't even covering the entire gun.

As soon as I lifted it up, the rattling struck me; the cylinder rattled awfully by just manipulating the replica, knocking back and forth with even the slightest movement.
I noticed there was a small chip in the bottom of one of the grips, right above the pommel. A haze of fine scratches cover both sides of the shroud in front of the cylinder, as if it was handled a lot... seems like it should be smooth and shiny, like new. The last big issue is the light unit that snaps into the replica... it's SO LOOSE, and it visibly moves back and forth in its position A LOT while attempting to switch it on and off.

I'm not trying to nitpick, and I don't expect 110% perfection from any prop manufacturer, but I can't imagine Tomenosuke would have let a prop with this many issues out of their factory, let alone that it seems like someone at HCG took it out and possible messed it up.

I've struggled the last couple days, trying to figure out what the best course of action is... the PKD is now out of stock at HCG, and I don't want to spend another $200 to get the OG version that they now have. I don't want to call and accuse them of selling me something that was previously manipulated and possible damaged by them, but when I spent $1000 on a prop that I did a lot of thinking about and research on before purchasing, I expected much more than what I received.

I feel kinda silly at writing this, but I'm really bummed after a year of being patient, and the amount of money I spent.

I'd appreciate any input as to how to proceed, or from anyone who has dealt with HCG and what it was like... THANKS!

Last edited:
That’s really tough man. I’d recommend rebuilding it, polishing the pieces, and getting replacement grips if they are really bad. If the pieces have paint flaws, I’d recommend using an airbrush to correct them. Unfortunately not much can be done about this but if you really aren’t happy with it, try and make it your own.

This is one of the things that’s cautioning me against buying a Tomenosuke because it’s really a hit or miss. That’s why I opted out for a resin kit that came out looking really good, especially since it was my first time building one.

Sorry man, that really sucks. I hope the best for you and maybe one day you’ll be able to get it back to looking good again.

you have paid a lot of money for it,you should not have to fix it yourself! when the 2049 came out a lot of them had a problem with the grips,mine included. they where replaced.i bought mine from hcg. they wanted photos but they had no problem resolving the issue.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I have extensive studio scale modeling experience, so I'm sure I can make it my own and have a lot of fun doing it... aside from the fact that it's actually damaged, and was clearly fooled with before it got to me, is what upsets me the most. I had, of course, heard about "loosey-goosey"
pieces that people had gotten, but I'd never heard of any that were this bad.

So, I guess bottom line is, do I want it enough to keep it, or return it and probably never get another one. Ugh.

First-world problems, for sure. ;)

You could see if the kit version is available from tomenosuke directly and it’s much cheaper. If so, you could buy that one and ask HCG for a refund. Then build the kit version.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back