Anders PKD Blaster problems

Imagehunter

I'm currently building Anders amazing PKD and I'm having some problems sourcing some components. First the Canal switch. Does it have to be a DPDT or can I use a SPDT? Has anyone used a different switch. I'm in Canada and prefer somewhere in country if possible. The second problem is the 5mm x 5mm magnets. I can't find those anywhere in this country. What kills me is we're on the metric system and every place that sells magnets only has imperial sizes.

So if anyone can help me source the magnets and a switch I would be incredibly thankful.

Hello!

I'm in the UK, but I used the same search criteria I used here on Canadian Amazon.

The switch can be tricky to find, especially one with a long enough toggle/lever that's white (which is movie accurate). You might have to settle for a black one and paint it as I did. You only need 2 positions - 'on' and 'off' - so an SPDT will work fine. The important thing is the overall dimensions, since the space for it to fit into is tiny, and the toggle/lever being long enough to project through the aperture enough to be accessible.

The switch dimensions need to be around 8.5mm x 4mm x 4mm max. Try searching for an 'SS-12D07 micro vertical slide switch' and you should get quite a few results, although most will come from China. Here's one result on amazon.ca. For safety, get one with the longest toggle - you can always trim it to length with side-cutters.

For an example, here's a pic of three of the switches I've used successfully (the white-toggled one is the most accurate but is a bit tricky to use in place as the handle is slightly too short).

IMG_3619.jpeg

It did take a bit of searching but I did find some 5x5mm magnets from amazon.ca - item 11 in the dropdown if the link doesn't take you directly to that option. You can use 5mmx3mm, though, by filling the bottoms of the sockets with epoxy or similar. The important thing is that the exposed surfaces in both the should be ever so slightly proud and in contact with each other to carry power to the green LEDs.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build - the end results are fantastic!

Hello!

I'm in the UK, but I used the same search criteria I used here on Canadian Amazon.

The switch can be tricky to find, especially one with a long enough toggle/lever that's white (which is movie accurate). You might have to settle for a black one and paint it as I did. You only need 2 positions - 'on' and 'off' - so an SPDT will work fine. The important thing is the overall dimensions, since the space for it to fit into is tiny, and the toggle/lever being long enough to project through the aperture enough to be accessible.

The switch dimensions need to be around 8.5mm x 4mm x 4mm max. Try searching for an 'SS-12D07 micro vertical slide switch' and you should get quite a few results, although most will come from China. Here's one result on amazon.ca. For safety, get one with the longest toggle - you can always trim it to length with side-cutters.

For an example, here's a pic of three of the switches I've used successfully (the white-toggled one is the most accurate but is a bit tricky to use in place as the handle is slightly too short).

View attachment 1731263

It did take a bit of searching but I did find some 5x5mm magnets from amazon.ca - item 11 in the dropdown if the link doesn't take you directly to that option. You can use 5mmx3mm, though, by filling the bottoms of the sockets with epoxy or similar. The important thing is that the exposed surfaces in both the should be ever so slightly proud and in contact with each other to carry power to the green LEDs.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build - the end results are fantastic!
Top man!

Thanks so much for your help. I feel like an idiot searching for hours and not finding these magnets. What did you type in the search bar that I didn't think of?
Good call on the switch too. I didn't even think about the length of the toggle.
Thanks to you I stand a chance of finishing this build in this decade.
You are a gentleman and a scholar sir, I tip my hat to you!

Top man!

Thanks so much for your help. I feel like an idiot searching for hours and not finding these magnets. What did you type in the search bar that I didn't think of?
Good call on the switch too. I didn't even think about the length of the toggle.
Thanks to you I stand a chance of finishing this build in this decade.
You are a gentleman and a scholar sir, I tip my hat to you!
You're welcome! :)

I just tried "5mm neodymium magnets" (which gave lots of results for magnets that were 5mm in diameter but mostly 1mm, 3mm or other sizes in depth). I went through those results until that link I shared came up and offered multiple options for the sizes... one of which happened to be the one we're after!

You're welcome! :)

I just tried "5mm neodymium magnets" (which gave lots of results for magnets that were 5mm in diameter but mostly 1mm, 3mm or other sizes in depth). I went through those results until that link I shared came up and offered multiple options for the sizes... one of which happened to be the one we're after!
Yeah I searched the exact same thing. I swear I went through every option with a 5mm option. My back up plan was the 5x2 and the 5x3's. I'm so glad you found the 5x5.
As you might say I'm well chuffed and over the moon! (Sorry, I've been watching a ton of The Repair Shop)

Hey Imagehunter-- I have some spare switches that fit Anders blaster, and I believe I might even have magnets as well. if you cover shipping to Canada I'd be more than happy to send a switch and magnets your way. Feel free to DM
View attachment 1731372View attachment 1731373
Thanks, that's very generous. I just ordered some though. Thanks to wayouteast for helping me find them, they're on there way and I should have them tomorrow. I sincerely appreciate you though, I'm sure one of my fellow builders could use them.
By the way that's a beautiful build you did there.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back