Tom Baker Sonic Screwdriver SHOCKING EVIDENCE!

Ok, I'm reviving an older thread here but only I didn't want to start a new on when one already existed for such purposes.

Basically we already know that the device used for the Pertwee/Baker/Davison sonic was first used in the Thunderbirds and then repurposed for Doctor Who but today I noticed this from Episode 3 of "Colony in Space" when Caldwell uses a devise to free Winton from his restraints. He appears to be the using the sonic with the Thunderbirds paint scheme (that being just the black spiral) with a clip added to the handle and a tip that I just can't seem get a good capture of. Although I can tell it's red, or partially red.

c-058-Colony-in-Space-01-In-Ep3-Alt-Prop-Use.pngc-058-Colony-in-Space-02-In-Ep3-Alt-Prop-Use.pngc-058-Colony-in-Space-03-In-Ep3-Alt-Prop-Use.png

Then, of course, by Episode 5 the classic Pertwee paint/tape was applied for it’s use by the Doctor to detect the Master's security trip. I suppose it's possible that there were two of these props but I feel it's more likely just one that was repainted and repurposed during production.

c-058-Colony-in-Space-05.pngc-058-Colony-in-Space-04.pngc-058-Colony-in-Space-06.png

The clip would explain the screw hole near the bottom of the handle. you can see the tip in the thunderbirds movie.
The tip looks like it might be copper or just reflecting some light to me.

I guess after claiming he'd found it, Jet Bettle hoped this thread would dissapear if he never posted in it again. :lol

I miss the days when people talked about props rather than people on this board. Ah well, sorry if my posting my findings dredged up some bad blood here. That was not my intention.

Wow this takes me back. Yes terrasolo by all means please keep at the observations and pics.

As to the origin of this thread, Jet Beetle never produced the evidence because his life got severely sidetracked not too long after as he began dealing with his failing health and some financial and personal issues. However looking at the evidence at hand I'm pretty sure the classic sonic never started life as an Activator. Jet Beetle was either well-meaning but wrong or just plain having a laugh. Knowing him, either was equally possible.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back