RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I actually see two weathering jobs on the necks
Dunno... i now see the all black last flange of the emitter, but the closeup shot looks like a different saber still.. maybe the control box was cast in resin, and copied. Id heard rumors of that...
So I used a little harbor freight metal hacksaw to make buttons out of 1/4" Delrin or black acetal. My firsts were too perfect - the entire length of that area on the control box, so a little long... my next ones matched the 12 and 11.8 sizes I found. They are a hair larger than the cast I have and both by the same amount
So, i made separate pieces and one with a "spine" - for this i chopped through 3/4 of the way, rotated it 90 degrees and did the same thing again. This left a bit at the bottom and at the back of the buttons. One my second I even cut a bit out of the bottom surface of the gap to match the casts with a groove on the bottom too.
View attachment 1441703 View attachment 1441704 View attachment 1441708 View attachment 1441711 View attachment 1441712
Now here are test shots to mimic the ones we have been looking at. Guess which ones are separate and which ones have the spine haha
View attachment 1441702 View attachment 1441705 View attachment 1441706 View attachment 1441707 View attachment 1441709 View attachment 1441713 View attachment 1441715 View attachment 1441716 View attachment 1441717
Now I WAS able to bend and twist the attached buttons and get them to sort if stay crooked but they tended to bend back. Im also not sure why they would straighten them out again if they were one piece. They are aligned today, is what I mean, only both tipped away from the box a little. If they were separate pieces I can see them being re glued over and over and maybe they did a better job this time... considering the state of the rails I think they did archival restoration and not really a lot of repair. Bent derlin is hard to straighten back out... and i do see some dings on the buttons and I was able to ding up mine with a metal file
Delrin is really satisfying to cut.. but my blade also left too small a gap I think... i would have to cut the halves a part and glue them slightly more separated to match the prop