TMNT Leo costume, my first build

benboy23

Ok guys im a complete novis, infact i doubt im even that but after Months of lurking on here and other forums I finally feel ready to start my ninja turtle suit. I think I've soaked up enough knowledge to get this done. It's going to take a few months to complete so please be patient. But I will try and post as many updates as possible and will welcome any comments and advise along the way

Firstly I'd like to thank Matt(heroprops) for the mask which is on its way, can't wait to receive it. And within the next few weeks he will be providing me with his shell :) this is either going to be the one I use on my costume or the reference for the one I make!

Ok so this is how I intend to attack this project...
I'll be starting off this week with my duct tape dummy. I will then be placing a spandex body suit over the top of this as the base for my muscle suit! This zips up the back and cover my entire head, the face will be cut out. My plan is to make this suit out of just 3 pieces, the muscle suit, shell and mask. Of course this will probably change as I go along lol

Next step will be to create the muscles out of upholstery foam, I have some great reference pics which will help and I do want this to be as close to the real thing as possible! Once I am happy with the muscles I may be 'skinning' over the muscles with a thin layer of foam, probably 3mm but this depends how smooth I can get the foam used to form the muscle shape...

Next will be several layers of latex, latex paint and finishing touches, shading etc.

Most of the other turtle builds I have seen comprise of quite a few seperate elements, such as seperate forearms, legs and hands etc. I'm hoping to avoid doing this and having one complete muscle suit. I've got some pretty good ideas how I'm going to do this and as I go along you will see if they have been a success or failure lol

Wish me luck
Ben

Quick update

Done the basic foam structure for one of the arms. Anyone know how to upload images from an iPad or iPhone??

Cheers

So far got the basic muscle structure done on both arms, still need to trim and cover with 3mm foam that will act as a skin and cover the rough edges and will hopefully take the latex well.... The legs and feet will be done the same way, the feet are attached so some old gym shoes, which will be glued to the undersuit, this way I can wear the suit easily outdoors...

The chest wil be covered in 1/4 inch foam that I am still waiting to come...

Last edited:
Looks like you're making some good progress but it is difficult to see everything. You may want to resize your pictures a little ;)

Hopefully smaller this time....lol

1328285037586.jpg

1328285128706.jpg

1328285161442.jpg

Been crazy busy with work these last few weeks so not had much chance to update, but ivemhad a couple of hous tonight so did a bit of trimming and 'skinning' on the chest and arms. I think it's turned out quite well and you can see a real definition to the arm muscles just as I wanted, the Texture is great too and should take the latex really well (hopefully)

Next Step is the legs then latex.....

1329421036644.jpg

1329421150630.jpg

1329421273959.jpg

1329421313713.jpg

this is lookin good, when i saw the first pics i was wndering how u were going to 'smooth' the muscle shapes and then i panned down. great job, are u following the muscle shapes from pics from the film?

this is lookin good, when i saw the first pics i was wndering how u were going to 'smooth' the muscle shapes and then i panned down. great job, are u following the muscle shapes from pics from the film?

A little yeah, but it would be impossible for me to get it exactly the same, so I'm also using reference pics from other simular builds and kind of winging it too and giving It my take on what I think it should look like.... I have tried to get the definition as close to actual muscle as possible

Looking great, nice to see another Yorkshireman on here :)

My only thought at this point is that the feet look very narrow, possibly consider widening them??

Yeah the feet, so far, are just the basic structure. I'll be adding definition and skinning them too which will help to bulk them out, but not too much, I want him to look quite steam lined and in proportion all over

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back