TMNT Leo costume, my first build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by benboy23, Jan 30, 2012.

1. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Ok guys im a complete novis, infact i doubt im even that but after Months of lurking on here and other forums I finally feel ready to start my ninja turtle suit. I think I've soaked up enough knowledge to get this done. It's going to take a few months to complete so please be patient. But I will try and post as many updates as possible and will welcome any comments and advise along the way

Firstly I'd like to thank Matt(heroprops) for the mask which is on its way, can't wait to receive it. And within the next few weeks he will be providing me with his shell :) this is either going to be the one I use on my costume or the reference for the one I make!

Ok so this is how I intend to attack this project...
    I'll be starting off this week with my duct tape dummy. I will then be placing a spandex body suit over the top of this as the base for my muscle suit! This zips up the back and cover my entire head, the face will be cut out. My plan is to make this suit out of just 3 pieces, the muscle suit, shell and mask. Of course this will probably change as I go along lol

Next step will be to create the muscles out of upholstery foam, I have some great reference pics which will help and I do want this to be as close to the real thing as possible! Once I am happy with the muscles I may be 'skinning' over the muscles with a thin layer of foam, probably 3mm but this depends how smooth I can get the foam used to form the muscle shape...

Next will be several layers of latex, latex paint and finishing touches, shading etc.

Most of the other turtle builds I have seen comprise of quite a few seperate elements, such as seperate forearms, legs and hands etc. I'm hoping to avoid doing this and having one complete muscle suit. I've got some pretty good ideas how I'm going to do this and as I go along you will see if they have been a success or failure lol

Wish me luck
    Ben

2. MooCriket

MooCriket Master Member

Looking forward to seeing your progress and...good luck!

3. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Thanks moo, should have some pics up end of this week

4. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Quick update

Done the basic foam structure for one of the arms. Anyone know how to upload images from an iPad or iPhone??

Cheers

5. coofunkcurly

coofunkcurly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Photobucket app. ;) Then you should be able to copy and paste the img codes right into your response.

6. benboy23

benboy23 Member

So far got the basic muscle structure done on both arms, still need to trim and cover with 3mm foam that will act as a skin and cover the rough edges and will hopefully take the latex well.... The legs and feet will be done the same way, the feet are attached so some old gym shoes, which will be glued to the undersuit, this way I can wear the suit easily outdoors...

The chest wil be covered in 1/4 inch foam that I am still waiting to come...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  7. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

LARGEST PHOTO'S EVER! :facepalm

8. BoozeBeGood

BoozeBeGood Sr Member

Looks like you're making some good progress but it is difficult to see everything. You may want to resize your pictures a little ;)

9. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Hopefully smaller this time....lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Thanks for the info mate :facepalm

11. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Been crazy busy with work these last few weeks so not had much chance to update, but ivemhad a couple of hous tonight so did a bit of trimming and 'skinning' on the chest and arms. I think it's turned out quite well and you can see a real definition to the arm muscles just as I wanted, the Texture is great too and should take the latex really well (hopefully)

Next Step is the legs then latex.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. pinder91

pinder91 Sr Member

This is taking shape. I can't wait to see this progress.

13. J Scorn

J Scorn Sr Member

this is lookin good, when i saw the first pics i was wndering how u were going to 'smooth' the muscle shapes and then i panned down. great job, are u following the muscle shapes from pics from the film?

14. benboy23

benboy23 Member

A little yeah, but it would be impossible for me to get it exactly the same, so I'm also using reference pics from other simular builds and kind of winging it too and giving It my take on what I think it should look like.... I have tried to get the definition as close to actual muscle as possible

15. modellbaubert

modellbaubert New Member

Can't wait to see more pics! Wonderful!!

16. batfan10

batfan10 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to see this!!

17. Gumbyack454

Gumbyack454 Member

really excited to see this build! Looks really good so far

18. Dirty

Dirty Member

Looking amazing so far and doing your homework seems to be paying off. Can't wait to see finished shell

19. doomseeker

doomseeker New Member

Looking great, nice to see another Yorkshireman on here :)

My only thought at this point is that the feet look very narrow, possibly consider widening them??

20. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Yeah the feet, so far, are just the basic structure. I'll be adding definition and skinning them too which will help to bulk them out, but not too much, I want him to look quite steam lined and in proportion all over

21. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Do any of the members here know where I could get a hold of some replica elbow and knee pads?? If I can buy them for the right price I'd prefer to do that, I do have the foam and faux leather to make them but really would prefer not to lol

22. Gumbyack454

Gumbyack454 Member

Did you get your mask yet?

23. benboy23

benboy23 Member

No not yet! Hoping to receive it by this weekend

24. Gumbyack454

Gumbyack454 Member

How did you contact Hero for a mask? I sent a Pm but never got a response.

25. benboy23

benboy23 Member

I just sent a pm but he does take a few days to get back to me, must be a busy guy, but he always gets back to me.

maybe send another, he may have a few to get through.

26. Gumbyack454

Gumbyack454 Member

Thanks! I'll try it again

27. Wookieefoot

Wookieefoot New Member

Any updates? :)

28. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Got the muscle suit done but not latexed. I have managed to source some knee and elbow pads and wrist straps, these are original ones from the coming out of their shells tour :) (thanks slim)

I will hopefully have the shell, mask and pads all sorted for the back end of this month. When I do I'll be doing a test with the whole thing on :) to make sure the muscle suit is proportionate before I apply the latex and paint. I'll post pics of the legs and pads soon. Then the test run of the whole suit to get your opinions.

Stay tuned.....

29. darthfoster

darthfoster New Member

TMNT was a hit for me growing up. This will be cool to see when it's finished. I was a big Donatello fan myself? Leo was pretty cool with his Katanas.

30. Shades

Shades Well-Known Member

what is the "skin" over the foam? It looks great!

31. benboy23

benboy23 Member

It's just 4mm packing foam. Really flexible and strong. It should take the latex well too and give a great skin effect too :)

32. Wookieefoot

Wookieefoot New Member

Sweet, can't wait! :)

33. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Here is a quick update, this is just a quick test run of the hands just to test for sizing and fit, did this before work so was rushing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are the pads off slim

[​IMG]

34. Gumbyack454

Gumbyack454 Member

Looks good

35. Gumbyack454

Gumbyack454 Member

36. Bradleyw

Bradleyw Well-Known Member

really impressed with the work gonna be interesting to see the colour of the skin. are you gonna shade the skin around the muscle or block colour. either way awesome keep it up

37. ben reilly

ben reilly Member

this suit looks awesome! good job on the muscle structure. can't wait to see it finished!

38. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Thanks guys. Brad- I will be shading after I have laid the green latex layers. I have a small spray gun that should do the trick just nice :) 2 weeks left to work then I have a week off. I should be able to get the latex done. I didn't expect this to be finished till October so I am way ahead schedule.

39. sirbrad

sirbrad Well-Known Member

Looks great so far man! I also saw this in theaters as a teen and is one of my all-time favorites, movie and cartoon! I am known for horror costumes but want to try this one day as well. Also doing an 89 Batman currently and did a Terminator 2 last Halloween. But this inspires me to try a TMNT even more! Where do you get all your foam? Keep up the great work!

40. benboy23

benboy23 Member

I did teen wolf last Halloween, the white suit version :)

I got most of my foam from eBay! Really cheap. The foam for the arm and shoulder muscles came from my sisters old sofa haha :) as did the leather for the pads (this won't be used now though after the pads I made are totally rubbish)

41. chanfan

chanfan Well-Known Member

Haha wow! Can't wait to see this one take shape! :)

42. sirbrad

sirbrad Well-Known Member

How is it going?

43. benboy23

benboy23 Member

Slowly but surely, didn't get as much done in my week off as I thought I would. Got a few layers of latex down, but will need a lot more...

44. CardBoard King

CardBoard King Active Member

OMG my inner child is screaming

45. Mattdavid

Mattdavid Member

Looks good so far, I'm pretty shure it'll be fantastic at the end.