Tips and advice for making wands from found sticks.

SamIAmNot

I’ve been making wands for a little under 3 weeks and have only had a Dremel for about a week. This is my first step into making and while I’ve watched tons videos in an attempt to learn, things like Cornelius Creations, I’m finding it difficult to understand a good bit of the advice given in video form. I’m wondering if anyone has any advice for a newbie woodworker who is strictly using sticks and branches found in the backyard.

Pictured is my only attempt at a replica so far, as most of my work is of my own design.
DSC01660.jpeg

I will say that using green (fresh cut, not dried out) wood can lead to your project split and crack when the wood dries. If the wood comes from long dead wood which is still on the tree or off the wet ground you may not have that problem. Green wood however is often easier to carve, so as a new carver that is a useful feature. My issue was always investing a lot of time on a project and then having it becoming flawed later. During the learning period that may not be as big of an issue. Good luck. Your pictured wand looks good.

I will say that using green (fresh cut, not dried out) wood can lead to your project split and crack when the wood dries. If the wood comes from long dead wood which is still on the tree or off the wet ground you may not have that problem. Green wood however is often easier to carve, so as a new carver that is a useful feature. My issue was always investing a lot of time on a project and then having it becoming flawed later. During the learning period that may not be as big of an issue. Good luck. Your pictured wand looks good.
Thanks a ton! Now that I think about it I have had a few wet ones end up feeling easier to work with in the moment but seem to warp and crack in places, but I wasn’t sure why until reading your advice. I have started going out early in the mornings and gathering some to stir inside for a few days and dry out and repeating the process when I start to run low, so hopefully that improves their stability over time. Thanks so much for the advice and the compliment, I really appreciate it!

A dead branch still on the tree works best (in my opinion). It takes time but it’s good to clip it and let it acclimate for a bit in whatever environment you’re working in.

Your elder wand looks great! Excited to see the next ones.

A dead branch still on the tree works best (in my opinion). It takes time but it’s good to clip it and let it acclimate for a bit in whatever environment you’re working in.

Your elder wand looks great! Excited to see the next ones.
Thank you! I’m already planning my next iteration. Been having difficulty recently with the quality of wood I find. Feel like I was getting lucky in the beginning. They’re not turning out how I wanted them to anymore, with the last 3. I’ve gotta push through and figure out what my problem is but I’m still having fun.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back