Tip Top Workshop x AndersFP Good Samaritan build

tennantlim

When DaveChaos announced his Hellboy Good Samaritan kit run, I was in like Flynn and instantly confirmed my interest. The fact that the kit was designed by none other than AndersEFP , whose PKD design is IMHO a masterpiece and one that I've built thrice, sealed the deal for me. Amazingly the kit reached me in no time at all and it is an exquisite one. It includes pressure casted resin and pewter parts, attachment hardware and electronics, and even the grip has faux wood textures!

Here are the main parts of my kit out of the box and dry-assembled. Isn't she purrty?
20210522-164506.jpg

Going into this build, I made the following decisions;
- No electronics. For no other reason than keeping the build simple and not have to deal with changing batteries. Yeah I'm THAT lazy lol.
- I want this to be more personalized so it's not going to be accurate against the actual prop.

Ultimately, this build was going to be a soul soother in between my long, intensely stressful work days. Hence it will be slow going and I won't be documenting frequently.

One of the first things I did was polish up the pewter parts.
20210604-152921-01.jpg

It's worth mentioning that the seams on this kit are extremely easy to clean up with a little sanding and filing. Having said that, I took my time (literally only about an hour each time every other day) and eventually completed the clean up over about two weeks. I also added dings and impact marks with a punch and mallet.

Moving on to the painting process.
20210612-163018-01.jpg

It's pretty straight forward. Black primer, gloss clear, graphite powder, and silver Rub n Buff along the edges of the main gun parts. For the pewter components. I applied black oil paint and buffed the high points with steel wool. Easy peasy!

The grip was a fun one.
20210616-210317-01.jpg

I thought the textures were a little...much. So I sanded the grip down to an almost smooth finish. It was then given a coat of primer, brown base paint, and streaks of acrylic in three shades of brown. Finally I sealed it with a coat of gloss clear to tie the whole varnished walnut aesthetics together.

I owe the next part of the build to wayouteast where he fixed the warping receiver lid whenever the trigger is pulled. Check out his epic build here.
20210624-081848.jpg

20210624-081940.jpg

I sawed and hand filed a 2mm aluminium sheet to shape and drilled two holes in their respective locations for attaching the trigger guard. For some strange reason, I'm inclined to leave it unpainted. For now.

The silver lanyard ring was replaced with a slightly thicker brass/gold one to add visual contrast against the silver base.
20210625-223733-01.jpg

Finally, I worked on the 4 ammo rounds.
20210629-232326.jpg

20210629-230215-01.jpg

The shells were sanded smooth, sprayed black and gloss clear, and applied with gold leaf Rub n Buff. The primers/buttons were coated with Molotow chrome and the translucent ammo tips were given a coat of gloss clear to enhance their clarity.

That's it for now. I'm waiting for Dave's upgrade bits and I'm trying to figure out how to braid the lanyard.

Last edited:
another awesome build! love the faux wood handle! great work (y)
no worries, my build will be waaaaayyyy slower than yours!

That's it for now. I'm waiting for Dave's upgrade bits and I'm trying to figure out how to braid the lanyard.

Tip for the lanyard (though I don't think it's 100% accurate to the movie prop which looks as if it had more complex leatherworking).

Take a double length strip of leather and loop it through the ring so that each side has an equal length. Then take a single length strip the same width and lay it in between the two halves of the double length strip. That gives you three lequal engths which you can simply plait together using the 'alternate sides to the middle' technique, keeping the strips as flat as possible. The middle strip will be securely held by the braiding. If you want, you can wrap and tie thread tightly around all three strips just below the ring for added security. Finally, tie another few turns of thread around the braid ends to secure them and stop it all unravelling, leaving a short length of all three ends loose.

Tip for the lanyard (though I don't think it's 100% accurate to the movie prop which looks as if it had more complex leatherworking).

Take a double length strip of leather and loop it through the ring so that each side has an equal length. Then take a single length strip the same width and lay it in between the two halves of the double length strip. That gives you three lequal engths which you can simply plait together using the 'alternate sides to the middle' technique, keeping the strips as flat as possible. The middle strip will be securely held by the braiding. If you want, you can wrap and tie thread tightly around all three strips just below the ring for added security. Finally, tie another few turns of thread around the braid ends to secure them and stop it all unravelling, leaving a short length of all three ends loose.
Much appreciated! Truth be told I simply lack the time to sit down and thoroughly do the research, but I'll get down to it at some point.

I did however watch asavage 's build videos (several times for inspiration!) and grabbed some shots of his lanyard.
Screen-Shot-2021-06-13-at-08-56-00-AM.png

It looks to be a four-strand braid going by the loose ends here.
Screen-Shot-2021-06-13-at-08-40-20-AM.png

As I mentioned in my first post, this will be more of a personalized build so screen accuracy isn't a huge priority for me. But I do like the braid that Adam did so I'll push on in that direction.

Last edited:
Another small step towards completing this not-so-little project. I've spent quite a significant amount of time looking for the right type of braid for my Samaritan and I finally settled on this 4-strand round braid. It's been deliberately executed in a loose, uneven technique to give it character, implying it has been gradually unraveling over the centuries.
IMG-20210722-132038-880.webp

The leather braid was dabbed with neatsfoot oil to age it.
IMG-20210722-132038-906.webp

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back