Time Bandits map

Originally posted by joatrash@Mar 15 2006, 06:23 PM
First image.

I've spent the last two days drawing blue squiggly lines. Now I have to spend two more days drawing white squiggly lines. Then I can get to work on the symbols. Remember, this is not going to be an idealized map. Weathered or clean, almost every flaw and crooked line will be there. (I actually have to spend time screwing up the white latitude lines to make them blend in.)

Still a long way to go though.  :)
[snapback]1206574[/snapback]​

You're off to a fine start Joatrash :thumbsup Keep it up. Take you time, and keep us posted.

Another update. Been working tirelessly on this and here is the latest version. I still haven't gotten to work on the symbols- they're up next. My friend and I are also discussing the (admittedly remote) possibility of doing a double-sided print, with a "stained parchment pattern" on the back. Sorry for the low-quality pictures and thanks again to the Wackychimp for hosting.

Entire map, without borders. It's going to have borders, but I'm not sure the clocks will be there or not since the original I am basing this on doesn't have them.

map_test3.jpg

A little more detail (still only a fraction of the final size).
map_test3_detail.jpg

This is looking awesome...what is your main reference? using the fold out from the DVD?
Are you doing this in Photoshop?
I'm gonna follow this on carefully....

Yeah, but one of the three (as far as we know) props did not have any clocks. They're easy to add, but I'm afraid of hurting the accuracy of the reference-piece, especially since I'm including all the original's "flaws". On the other hand, I guess those that didn't want them there could just cut them off.

One prop had the clocks cut off on the right side, but it still had them on the left. I haven't spotted any with both sides missing.

Hmm, wierd.

The one included with the DVD doesn't have them at all. It doesn't look like it has been cropped at the edges, but then again it has been rather sloppily scanned in severa sections (which I've had to compensate for when redrawing). Perhaps they scanned the one with clocks on one border and decided to cut them off. But adding them again is no big hassle compared to the other stuff.

We're going to start looking at different types of canvas and cloth in the next couple of weeks.

Originally posted by joatrash@Mar 18 2006, 02:18 PM
Hmm, wierd.

The one included with the DVD doesn't have them at all.
[snapback]1208380[/snapback]​

I'm fairly certain that the screen used map always has the clocks on the ledt side. You can see it in this screen cap from the movie shown on the weathering tutorial:

holding.jpg

Map Weathering Tutorial

I'm not sure why they chose to chop them off from both sides of the DVD map, but I don't think you'll find a scene in the movie with a map that looks like that. If I'm mistaken I'd appreciate it if someone could provide a screen cap of time index from the movie.

You really shouldn't depend on the knuckleheads that produce the DVDs, when it comes to determining any kind of screen accurate anything. They can't even get the photos on the covers of the DVDs correct.

The maps HAVE the clocks.

Take the advice of the old timers here. That's kind of what this place is all about. Helping each other. Well at least for some of us.

Great progress by the way.

Originally posted by joatrash@Mar 18 2006, 06:17 PM
On the other hand, I guess those that didn't want them there could just cut them off.
[snapback]1208343[/snapback]​

Well said. Not sure if anyone else agrees, but I think the clocks should be printed on each side of the map like the prop map at the end of the movie (screencap pictured below).
Now, if someone doesn't care for the clocks on one side or both sides, then they can cut them off.

[attachmentid=7307]

Yeah, I'm not trusting the DVD version 100%. Like I said, they seem to have been a bit sloppy when scanning it. I'll be aiming to include the clocks.

Just a little heads up: I'm going to take my time on this and get it right. It's going to be a few weeks before I get a handle on the printing side of things. :)

/Joe

Joe,

I am sorry I didnt see this thread from the beginning. THis is one of my favorite props of all times, and it great seeing your progress here.

I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

I just love the different shades of black and dark blues. It gives it so much depth, just like a deep space picture from the Hubble Telescope.

Originally posted by joatrash@Mar 16 2006, 11:34 PM
map_test3.jpg

Another update. I've put some more detail into the symbols by enhancing what was already there (but faded), added the "starfield" in the background which I have concluded is not just weathering on the original. Also roughed up the gradients in the large circle to make them more organic. (will look great in print, I think)

tb_demo1.jpg

tb_demo2.jpg

So far, I'm pretty satisfied with how it's turning out. This is still a few weeks away from being done, so please be patient all. And thanks for the kind words. :)

Thanks again to the Wackychimp for hosting.

/Joe F

Originally posted by joatrash@Mar 27 2006, 06:40 PM
This is still a few weeks away from being done, so please be patient all.
[snapback]1214356[/snapback]​

No problem. Please, take your time and do it right. The contiued updates continue to impress :thumbsup

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back