Time Bandits map

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by JOATRASH FX, Mar 14, 2006.

1. JOATRASH FX

JOATRASH FX Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Note: this thread has now turned into a progress thread for my version of the map. New pics and info will be added as needed. Look below for the latest images.

Is anyone sitting on any good photos of the actual prop map (any version) from Time Bandits and would like to share them? I want to know what is says in all the small symbols and screencaps are worthless for picking out the small details. I have one of the old fan-made versions, but a lot of the tiny print has been left out of it.

2. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think that is gonna be a tough one.

3. JOATRASH FX

Yeah, I Googled the hell out of it and didn't find anything useful.

4. RelicMaker

RelicMaker Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Here's all I have, but it's still hard to recognize anything. I hope it helps.

-Brenton

[attachmentid=7207]

[attachmentid=7208]

[attachmentid=7209]

5. Jedi Bailinkski

Jedi Bailinkski Well-Known Member

I am sure I have the movie somewhere, I'll see if I can't get any good screen shots for you.

6. BrundelFly

BrundelFly Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Well, when the last run of these were made someone came forward with the actual TIFF file of the real prop from the movie.
    Thats what the last version of maps were made from.

Someone has it...

7. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Also the Special Edition DVD came with a small version of the map that provided additional text along the border.

Member kapow did the artwork for the ones I printed but they didn't have the border text. It was unknown at the time.

A THIRD version was made but not by me. It had the border text but was printed on an inferior material and the image wasn't nearly as sharp. Sadly I no longer have access to the printing machines I used to or I would do another run.

8. JOATRASH FX

Heya Ballinski... sincere thanks for the offer but I don't need screen-captures. (I can do that myself and they're not good enough, even on the latest "rescanned" DVD version.) :)

The fan-made one I have was drawn by Kapow. It's very clean- no weathering and very "perfect" graphics. It's a good looking map for sure, but I want the version I am doing to be a lot rougher.

I can't imagine how the originals were made unless they were hand-painted or screen-printed by hand onto the canvas. I would guess that since the film was very low-budget, they wouldn't have been able to employ any cutting-edge tech when making them and that was years before DTP, Illustrator, Photoshop and so on anyway. I have the version on the 2-disc DVD too, but that scan isn't perfect- some bits seem to be misaligned.

What I am doing is using the DVD-version for reference. I'll likely clean up and redo a lot from scratch, but I want to keep it kinda "rough" so I may opt to keep the unitelligable lettering as it is, but "enhanced" and cleaned up. I can't just scan it anyway, because there is the issue of print-dots and moiré patterns developing.

9. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I wish I could hlep with this, but I don't have access to any resources that have not already been mentioned. I'll just have to provide "moral support" by wishing you the best of luck on this project. I would love to have a version of this map on canvas. I'll watching for progress :thumbsup

10. RelicMaker

I can help clean all that up for you if you'd like... It is possible to scan it and bring it back to its original context as if it were created in illustrator before.

11. takevin

takevin Sr Member

if someone can chime in with that tiff that would be great. I have a high end printer.

12. JOATRASH FX

Thanks again for the offer RM. I've got it covered for now. :)

The run my friend and I are doing (if it turns out well) will be printed on a current-model high-end Canon photo-printer. Looks like it will be done on white canvas and we're also thinking of giving it a matte-laminate for protection. Look for an announcement in the JY soon, we just have to get some details sorted.

I've got a few hours down on it now, redrawing details. (File size is upwards of 1gb. Print size will be roughly 25X35.) The more I study the original from the DVD, the more I am convinced that it was hand-drawn. A lot of the detailing is very asymmetrical and uneven. The small print seems to be written in Latin. I want to keep the grime and dirt in the print, but I'm unsure if I should incorporate the fold-creases or not. The final version is definately going to look hand-drawn and rough. Will post some progress pics soon.

13. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

In my opinion you should not include the creases or weathering..I have one of Micdavis' maps and it looks great once it has real weathering on it..Folds and dirt and such.
    This is just my opinion and if yours look awesome I'll be down for a copy ;)

14. JOATRASH FX

The question there would be accuracy- which is more accurate a printed version with more or less exact weathering or a clean version weathered "for real"? The weathering on the actual map is very distinct and some of the "weathering details" would be hard to get exactly right.

If there is enough demand, we could possibly let everyone choose which version they want. What I was thinking of doing is keeping the stains, color-fades and built-up grime in the map because they are so blended together with the symbols and details in the map.

15. RelicMaker

If you're going to offer both a printed weathered version and a cleaned up version, could you post a picture of both so we could choose which one fits best for us.

Thanks,
    Brenton

16. JOATRASH FX

Of course, wouldn't have it any other way. :)

17. yodaman

yodaman Sr Member

18. JOATRASH FX

First image.

I've spent the last two days drawing blue squiggly lines. Now I have to spend two more days drawing white squiggly lines. Then I can get to work on the symbols. Remember, this is not going to be an idealized map. Weathered or clean, almost every flaw and crooked line will be there. (I actually have to spend time * up the white latitude lines to make them blend in.)

[​IMG]

Still a long way to go though. :)

(thanks to the Wackychimp)

19. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

dang dude...

that is coming along remarkably well.

keep up the great work.

20. RelicMaker

That is coming along really nice...

21. SFPROPS

SFPROPS Well-Known Member

The capture from his map is just a tiny fraction of the lower left corner - not the entire map.

22. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

You're off to a fine start Joatrash :thumbsup Keep it up. Take you time, and keep us posted.

23. JOATRASH FX

Another update. Been working tirelessly on this and here is the latest version. I still haven't gotten to work on the symbols- they're up next. My friend and I are also discussing the (admittedly remote) possibility of doing a double-sided print, with a "stained parchment pattern" on the back. Sorry for the low-quality pictures and thanks again to the Wackychimp for hosting.

Entire map, without borders. It's going to have borders, but I'm not sure the clocks will be there or not since the original I am basing this on doesn't have them.

[​IMG]

A little more detail (still only a fraction of the final size).
    [​IMG]

24. burningman

burningman Well-Known Member

This is looking awesome...what is your main reference? using the fold out from the DVD?
    Are you doing this in Photoshop?
    I'm gonna follow this on carefully....

25. kapow

kapow Well-Known Member

This is fun, isn't it??? :lol

26. propsculptor

propsculptor Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

[​IMG]
    The Fortress of Ultimate Darkeness and The Most Fabulous Object in the World.

27. RelicMaker

Having the clocks on the border would be best, since the one in the movie had them.

28. JOATRASH FX

Yeah, but one of the three (as far as we know) props did not have any clocks. They're easy to add, but I'm afraid of hurting the accuracy of the reference-piece, especially since I'm including all the original's "flaws". On the other hand, I guess those that didn't want them there could just cut them off.

29. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

One prop had the clocks cut off on the right side, but it still had them on the left. I haven't spotted any with both sides missing.

30. JOATRASH FX

Hmm, wierd.

The one included with the DVD doesn't have them at all. It doesn't look like it has been cropped at the edges, but then again it has been rather sloppily scanned in severa sections (which I've had to compensate for when redrawing). Perhaps they scanned the one with clocks on one border and decided to cut them off. But adding them again is no big hassle compared to the other stuff.

We're going to start looking at different types of canvas and cloth in the next couple of weeks.

31. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

I'm fairly certain that the screen used map always has the clocks on the ledt side. You can see it in this screen cap from the movie shown on the weathering tutorial:

[​IMG]

Map Weathering Tutorial

I'm not sure why they chose to chop them off from both sides of the DVD map, but I don't think you'll find a scene in the movie with a map that looks like that. If I'm mistaken I'd appreciate it if someone could provide a screen cap of time index from the movie.

32. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

You really shouldn't depend on the knuckleheads that produce the DVDs, when it comes to determining any kind of screen accurate anything. They can't even get the photos on the covers of the DVDs correct.

The maps HAVE the clocks.

Take the advice of the old timers here. That's kind of what this place is all about. Helping each other. Well at least for some of us.

Great progress by the way.

33. RelicMaker

Well said. Not sure if anyone else agrees, but I think the clocks should be printed on each side of the map like the prop map at the end of the movie (screencap pictured below).
    Now, if someone doesn't care for the clocks on one side or both sides, then they can cut them off.

[attachmentid=7307]

34. JOATRASH FX

Yeah, I'm not trusting the DVD version 100%. Like I said, they seem to have been a bit sloppy when scanning it. I'll be aiming to include the clocks.

Just a little heads up: I'm going to take my time on this and get it right. It's going to be a few weeks before I get a handle on the printing side of things. :)

/Joe

35. amish

amish Sr Member

Joe,

I am sorry I didnt see this thread from the beginning. THis is one of my favorite props of all times, and it great seeing your progress here.

I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Thanks for sharing.

Tom

36. RelicMaker

I just love the different shades of black and dark blues. It gives it so much depth, just like a deep space picture from the Hubble Telescope.

37. JOATRASH FX

Another update. I've put some more detail into the symbols by enhancing what was already there (but faded), added the "starfield" in the background which I have concluded is not just weathering on the original. Also roughed up the gradients in the large circle to make them more organic. (will look great in print, I think)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, I'm pretty satisfied with how it's turning out. This is still a few weeks away from being done, so please be patient all. And thanks for the kind words. :)

Thanks again to the Wackychimp for hosting.

/Joe F

38. Megatron

Megatron Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looking good.

39. RedTwoX

RedTwoX Sr Member

No problem. Please, take your time and do it right. The contiued updates continue to impress :thumbsup

40. RelicMaker

That's looking really great... I can't wait to see this printed...

41. JOATRASH FX

A small update. Some bad news unfortunately. It looks like I won't have access to a printer capable of doing this map in the near future, so I'm going to have to look for another way to get it done. Either another local shop or maybe I'll do a 4-color silkscreen by hand. Either way, it probably means that the cost per print is going to be a lot higher than the other versions of this map that have been done.

On the good news side, things are coming along nicely. I'm on the final stretch of getting the map done. After that I'll be fine tuning the details and adding a layer of weathering (for those that want it).

But I'll keep everyone updated as always. :)

42. RelicMaker

I would definitely prefer the printed canvas from a printer.
    Keep us up to date with this.
    It's looking great. Great work.

43. Agrippa

Agrippa New Member

Take your time and do it right. It's looking fantastic. Well done.

44. Mola Rob

Mola Rob Sr Member

I always thought that map was a work of art. If you are going to be offering them on canvas I want one (or two). :)

45. JOATRASH FX

The map is now finally DONE and in the junkyard for those who missed it.

Any further questions will he answered here:

TB map in the junkyard

:)