Time Bandits Map of the Universe

I did forget to post this last year. Check out the Time Bandits action figures. LINK
If the map background looks familiar, it's mine, used with permission. I also sent them vector art for the Time Bandits logo.

I want a black rock in that packaging, so I have a piece of evil to go with my Time Bandits map.

Not to derail breakfastmachine's thread too much, but does anyone know whatever happened to merlinb and their version of the map?
It's still available as "Fantasy Map of the Universe" :unsure: ... though pops right up when you search Time Bandits Map.

jheilman Sorry to hear of the C&D! But glad the work continues a long tail with the toy packaging.

That's a great question, but not quite simple to answer. The stories I've heard, and perhaps someone can chime in to corroborate or contradict this, is that there were two maps made: The Shooting Map and the Credits Map, as you mentioned.

The Shooting Map is only seen in the movie with our heroes and it's details can only be discerned from screenshots. With that in mind, recreating the map solely using this reference is likely impossible without access to the actual production prop. (Rumor has it this is owned by Terry Gilliam.)

The Credits Map used at the very end of the movie, is supposedly the map that has been scanned and included with the Criterion Blu Ray/Special Edition release. This map can be scanned, blown up, and reviewed in higher detail, but the color is significantly different than what's seen in the Shooting Map and it's missing the script at the top of the map, as well as the clock panels on the left side (Shooting Map) let alone both sides (Credits Map).

I believe the previous replicas made are hybrids of the Shooting and Credits Maps. The replica I'm recreating will be a hybrid, with the primary basis in the Credits Map.

I am chiming in on this discussion years late. Been collecting and replicating props for 20+ years. But for various reasons, I have been inactive over about the past decade, so I missed this whole thread.

I’m not sure whether this has been cleared up since the above was posted, but the scan that was included in the DVD release is a hero version with clocks on one side only. The clocks are cropped out in the image. This is most apparent in the scene when Og sneaks up and grabs the map off of Evil’s desk. You can see that the weathering, the fold creases, and the folded-down area on the top right part of the middle of the map match the DVD photo. According to designer Bernard Allum, there were three maps made for the movie. At least one of them had additional art on the back, which can be briefly seen when the credits map is rolled up.

There were three maps made. One seen during production and one seen in the credits. The third map is a mystery. It was made to use during rehearsals. The production map was scanned and offered as a fold out in the DVD from the mid 2000's. The credits map was scanned and offered as a fold out in the Criterion Blu Ray. The production map had clock panels only on the left side. The credits map had clock panels on both sides. Both of these maps still exist somewhere and I'd love to see them some day.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back