Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland Costumes

SP, I keep seeing pictures of you and your group from CC on Facebook but can't comment on them since they're all people I don't know who post it but I have to say you guys look FLIPPIN' AMAZING!!!!!!!! I LOVE that RQ so much and Panda looks gorgeous!!! Her wig is phenomenal! Perfect colour!!!!

Hii!!! That's me! [The RQ]. I've been stalking the forum for a while >>; I figured I should surface now that pics of me in my costume have. I'm actually not quite finished with it, there are details I'd like to add that I didn't get the chance to finish in time for SDCC. But thank you again! :]

-Sarah

here a pic of the whole group
38661_511662863326_196501009_30417218_3793608_n.jpg

im hunting more down
and i have to email some photographers to get more
ill keep you all posted

here are some seriously awesome ones taken by Jason Holmes
38405_1496467365577_1050898430_1465823_4581296_n.jpg

38405_1496467405578_1050898430_1465824_1771192_n.jpg

38405_1496467445579_1050898430_1465825_1411111_n.jpg

Jake became our photo-bombing sweeney for the day XD

and Crimson i dont really know about the wig, Panda got it online thats all i know

but i do know she plans on selling her choker
its made from real pearls and silk i believe

you can shoot her a PM if your interested

Hi everyone!

I'm new to RPF, and I must say that I love all the costumes I've seen so far, and I truly appreciate all the fine details and artistry everyone exhibits in their work.

I found this site in my hunt for Frabjous Day Mad Hatter reference pics, and you guys have so many to offer. I was looking for some advice however, and maybe someone could point me in the right direction. I wasn't sure how to go about the swirls on the Hatter's cuffs. They appear frayed obviously, but how is everyone making them? Are they cut bias tape style with the edges left raw? It looks like some people used yarn and "shag yarn" for all the trim on the coat. Basically, i'm just trying to think of a way to get the frayed look and the curved shape (I don't want the fabric bunching up.) Any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!!Thanks!!!

haha i used ribbon on my brown coat
i i suggest you dont do that, it takes forever and you need a ton of ribbon

for my blue coat i used the fuzzy edge of the lining fabric
and as great as the fuzzy stuff looks youll end up having to buy more fabric then yoyu want

so both ways looks good but you lose money one way or another

Congrats to Chad and crew for winning an award at the SDCC Masquerade!

Best Young Fan: Frabjous Day – Worn By: Chad Evett, Cassidy Kahler, David Eckhart and Kathleen Dennis. Designed and Made By: Chad Evett, Cassidy Kahler, David Eckhart and Kathleen Dennis.

Congrats to Chad and crew for winning an award at the SDCC Masquerade!

Best Young Fan: Frabjous Day – Worn By: Chad Evett, Cassidy Kahler, David Eckhart and Kathleen Dennis. Designed and Made By: Chad Evett, Cassidy Kahler, David Eckhart and Kathleen Dennis.

That is actually a major misprint, when we were called to the stage we were told we won "Honorable mention--Best presentation"

Thanks so much guys for all your nice comments ^-^
Hopefully by the next con Mirana will be finished.
Also, I'm gonna tackle an Um dress for my cousin and Stayne for my bro.

Wish me luck XD

not to mention i have two more Hatter costumes to make
XD

and im thinking i might take the cuffs off the blue coat and shrink them up a little

the cuffs on the brown coat cant be changed and there just a tad over the size they should be
but looking at pictures my blue cuffs are huge!
so ill probably make them smaller

this just means i have to resize the pattern a bit as well
for the next 2 coats

Those who have made the Alice rabbit hole dress-
Did you use and alter a pattern, or make your own?

I'm not having any luck finding fabric the color I want-did you dye yours?
If so, what brand and shade did you use?

Those who have made the Alice rabbit hole dress-
Did you use and alter a pattern, or make your own?

I'm not having any luck finding fabric the color I want-did you dye yours?
If so, what brand and shade did you use?

I created my own pattern when I made this dress for a friend. It didn't turn out terribly well- she lives in another state, and I'm pretty new to sewing and hadn't made something for someone else before. That being said, I would go that route again if I were making it for myself or for a local friend. For me, trying to figure out which size to cut and how to alter the pattern would be as (or more) frustrating than drafting/draping something that works.

As far as fabric goes, I don't really have any input. My version had to be cheap, because I was paying for it just so she could be part our AiW group at MegaCon. I couldn't be too picky, and my fabric options here were very limited. This costumer is making a very nice, accurate down the rabbit hole dress though: Through The Looking Glass... . She dyed her fabric and also made her own pattern. It's looking fantastic!

Here's my less fantastic version:

2483687.jpg

Hey Skarlett,
I was going to make it for a friend, but that fell through. Here was my plan for what it's worth
I found a corset pattern that has the right shape for the main part of the bodice. I planned to drape the sleeves and whatnot. I'm gonna look through my collection tomorrow so I can get you the number.

As for the skirt and petticoat, these two links have decent tutorials that should help you
"Making Your Own Petticoats"
Browsing deviantART
I was planning on making a two-tiered Circle skirt. Just plan on making your skirt a couple inches longer than you want the actual skirt to compensate the seam in the middle

As for the embroidery, I think the only way is to do it by hand. Or you could try to do it on the machine by using the darning switch(the one that keeps the feed dog down)

I hope this helps. And this is definately not the only way to make it XP So if someone has an easier way, do it!
Also, I think Connor knows where to find the buttons :)

yeah there is an online store were you can find the exact ones
(ill have to find it again)
BUT! you can get real cheap versions of the buttons at JoAnns
they look the same just made of plastic is all

i have been collecting them just in case we need to make the dress

You might talk to Cassidy about her dress, Hers is screen accurate right down to the piping and the buttons. Shes on here somewhere to. . .

Thanks for the tips!

I think your dress is lovely and it photographs beautiful :)

I actually have a dozen (I think) of the exact button-someone on LJ was ordering a gross and I got 12 or 14-can't remember? I think I got 12, but after going to FIDM maybe I need 14? Maybe that's it?
Are the Joann's buttons the same size as the exact buttons?
Remember who the brand is?
:)

I've been planning and sketching the dress for months now, and it keeps getting pushed back on the construction list. The ricrac skirt (that isn't even seen in the film) and the rabbit hole dress were meant to be made for the film opening, and neither happened.

I've found a sky blue, a baby blue, and a royal blue-but no dusty blue.
I've debated making it in a sky blue (kind of the traditional Alice color) since I've found a sheer to match for the skirt overlay and sleeves, but before going that route wondered if anyone here had found a perfect match to dye anywhere :)

Yes please share the pattern number once you find it :)
And I'll take a look at those petticoat links now!

BTW-Cassidy's dress is the perfect color-was hers a fabric find or a dye?

It's B4452. The site says it's out of print, but still avaliable.
B4452 | Misses' Top and Skirt | Bridal | Butterick Patterns

You'll have to alter the seam placement a bit and make the back one piece. Shouldn't be too tough if you make a muslin.

I have the pattern with sizes 8-10-12-14
If this will work for you, I can see if Kinko's will copy it for you :)

I'm also going to the fabric store today, if I find anything dusty blue, I'll be sure to let you know

Chad gave me a dress pattern that I used for the bodice. I altered that quite a bit. As for the skirt I pretty much just guessed, not always the best idea but thats typically the way I do things. The Fabric for both my Rabbit Hole dress and Little Alice dress were curtain panels that were lucky finds at threift stores. Sorry I know this is'nt much help:unsure.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back