Tie Pilot Helmet (new pics on page 3)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Keith, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Here is a really nice Tie helmet that i've just finished assembling. Its made from VERY high gloss plastic. The quality is fantastic and the helmet is very accurate.
    I was going to wait until i had some decals and metal ear greeblies before i posted any pics of it, but here you are anyway:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm just finishing off another one of these at the moment also. I will try and get some better pics taken outside in daylight when both helmets are fully finished with decals and so on.

Thanks wakychimp for hosting,

Keith.

2. JRX

JRX Well-Known Member

Wow - that looks really really good to me - :) :) :) - great work ...

You making those yourself (molds castings and stuff???) ???
    If so, you could do some in white as well and make the AT AT Driver also - :D

3. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Hmmm......Are these the helmets sold on ebay by that Irish guy?

4. Keith

Keith Sr Member

I don't make these, all i have done is assemble it. The pics don't do it any justice though. I'll have to try and take some outside.

Keith.

5. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Looking good. Always liked the TIE helmets better than the AT-AT helmets, though.

Any info on the maker and the price? You can pm me if you don't want to post it here. :)

6. Star Wars Helmets

Star Wars Helmets Sr Member

Keith,

Can you show a shot from underneath?

Cheers

Jez

7. HDPE

HDPE Well-Known Member

Very nice Keith :)

I look forward to seeing the end product.

8. Firespray

Firespray Well-Known Member

Sweet looking helmet Keith. It looks pretty accurate. Puts my classic action to shame.

9. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Here is a picture from the bottom. As you can see there is no liner in it yet and i've not fitted the neck trim to the bottom of the face:
    [​IMG]

Keith.

10. yakcam

yakcam Sr Member

Hot *...

That is a beautiful helmet... Nicely assembled too :thumbsup

Are the kits available to purchase? or are they a small run done by an enthusiast?

Cheers,

Kraig

11. EVO3

EVO3 Well-Known Member

Nice. Very clean work. You'd make the Empire proud. :D

12. gizmo

gizmo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

WOW very nice Keith.Beutiful job on the assembly. :thumbsup

Cheers
    Ben

13. dashrender

dashrender New Member

Great work. An ATAT driver is one of my next projects. keep us posted as you finish it.

14. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

Keith - awesome work mate. It's the best assembly on this kit that I've seen and definately the best TIE helmet out there...

15. natty15d

natty15d Well-Known Member

Looks superb Keith

Nathan

16. Star Wars Helmets

Well given the source was most probably the SDS I'd say second best ;)

Although its nice they put the mohawk right :lol

Cheers

Jez

17. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

If the source is an SDS why does it look so accurate?
    I'm glad to say the maker of this particular helmet didn't waste any money on an SDS helmet and I know this for a fact.
    Wouldn't the faceplate have the weird thing going on the tubes - just like the prototype helmets?
    Wouldn't the trident look completely wrong?
    It's not a copy from an SDS - actually it's very accurate. :lol

18. Star Wars Helmets

hmmm...

I know this was previously denied but imo the key thing here is the unwillingness to reveal where the cast has come from in any way (cue SDS jibe here. :lol)

Bottom line is almost no one (TE aside) has the balls/finances to recast an existing piece, nor would take the risk to do so. This clearly doesnt derive from the TE source as the face shape is totally different. If it was cast from an original piece then surely the maker would want to advertise the provinance with images of the source?

IMO the lack of undercut (a clear fault with sds helmets) is a giveaway as the undercuts on the original TIE and trooper helmets were far greater. Sure its gone through some improvements with the side profile of the cheeks and mohawk but imo the source is clear.

Maybe therefore its best that we "agree to differ" on this like we did before.

Cheers

Jez

19. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

i thought 1 was made just to "see if it could be done", oh and you never did say how you were going to kill me if you told me where the master came from.

just my 2 euros

20. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

If you're going to Recast a faceplate why go to the trouble of spending $800 on something you're going to have to do so much work on - there's a ton of faceplates out there that don't have the 'flare' that cost a lot less.
    I saw this helmet being created from the very start - the guy that made the helmet has never seen an SDS let alone bought one so I'm afraid you're completely incorrect about the origins of the faceplate - you can differ all you like mate. :lol

21. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

Nice to be the subject of your sparkling wit and repartee Zorg.
    I guess the guy that makes 'em can do what he bloody well likes without explaining anything to anyone.
    It's better than anything else out there.
    Once again Keith nice work mate.

Edited for the spelling.

22. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

my pleasure................anytime :thumbsup

23. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Thanks everyone :)
    As for it being recast from an SDS, i have never owned an SDS Tie helmet as i didn't like the look of it, so i don't know too much about the "x-wing" part of the SDS Tie.
    But i can tell you for sure that the face on this Tie is definitely not cast off an SDS helmet.

So if the face is not cast from an SDS, the mohawk is more accurate than an SDS and given the fact that two halves of an X-wing helmet could come from just about anywhere then i don't see what "ties" :lol this to the SDS helmet at all.

Keith.

24. Star Wars Helmets

How so?

It would be good to clear this up one way or another, since last time this helmet came up there was no clear outcome.

Cheers

Jez

25. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

From hence forth this helmet shall be known as the 'IH mystery Tie helmet' :lol

Edited for spellage.

26. Star Wars Helmets

"Mystery" helmet - that was Meatsocks response too :p

27. RKW

RKW Sr Member

Perhaps Keith could take a closeup pic of the front right side edge of the mohawk as the SDS has a distinctive nick on that edge. The alignment of the teeth seem different on this helmet compared to the SDS but it was the right side tube that had me wondering at first.

28. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

Don't want to get involved with the arguing part of this thread but the original TIE and X-Wing helmets have the same nick as the SDS on this edge.

So if it was cast from a real prop or SDS it would still have the nick.

If it is a casting of the military helmet APH-6 (I think) it wouldn't show this mark.

Also it is well known the SDS has the same nick as originals so if you were to recast it and not remove the nick you would be plain stupid.

Anyway sorry for sidetracking your show off thread.

Nice helmet Keith remember and post when you get decals and greebles on.

Cheers Chris.

29. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

Oh my Jez. That's so harsh.

It's good to see some friendly satire on the boards from time to time :lol
    Once again Keith - Great looking helmet.
    If AA had used the original moulds for his TIE helmet it would probably look a lot like this. :lol

30. rebel scum

rebel scum New Member

Looks nothing like the AA face plate AT ALL.

Nice one Keith. It looks the business :thumbsup

Chris

31. Studio Stasis

Studio Stasis Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy, I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you are no Jack Kennedy."

That quote is what these debates remind me of.

It doensn't take an expert to see this helmet does not resemble an SDS. If you send it to me I'd be happy to mod the hell out of it to make it resemble an SDS if you like. I can fettle a tumblehome with the best of them. :p

Keith, good work. I imagine these will never be publicly available eh?
    I never purchased an SDS due to "original mold" obvious discrepancies but this looks straight off of the set. The jealousy begins to set in with each picture you post.

Josh

32. SithLord

SithLord Sr Member

It's a nice helmet but I'm curious whether it was sourced from another fan-made helmet or an original or an SDS? Every other new helmet shown on RPF for the first time is shown with some mention of how the helmet was made or from what it was derived from. That is part of the interest and discussion of this forum. The mere insistance of not wanting or caring to discuss the source makes this unknown helmet and it's maker suspect for reasons already mentioned. And to mention a second one is being made, correct me if I'm wrong, implies a run of helmets? A cheap screen-accurate TIE helmet kit? Sure that sounds great, but as a collector I'm also interested in its source as maybe I'd like one for myself ;).

T

33. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Thanks again for the compliments.

Jez, i can't really put into words how i know for sure the face is not from an SDS helmet. Its just really different. IMO, its not just the bottom of the SDS face hanging down thats the problem, there are other problems with it as well, but i have said all i wanted to say about the SDS helmets already, i'm just not interested anymore.

I fully trimmed both of these helmets as well as build them, so i've been looking at them a lot over the past week or so. Trust me, its not from the SDS.

Keith.

34. KevVader

KevVader Sr Member

...whatever it is....I LOVE it. :thumbsup .....nice.

35. TK765

TK765 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks sweet Keith :thumbsup

36. jeezycreezy

jeezycreezy Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic Keith.

I can tell you one way in which your helmet differs drastically from the SDS TIE helmet: Your helmet won't fall apart after a month. ;)

Cheers.
    TJ

37. MarkG

MarkG Well-Known Member

Keith, that is one sweet looking TIE lid, whatever the origins are.

Bright & glossy, just what you want from a display piece.

Hope you get those greeblies soon too. :)

38. Star Wars Helmets

Keith, I'll take your word on this.

However I am sure you'll agree that it does get frustrating when new helmets are shown (and I recall this helmet being shown off by others a good 6-9 months ago), without any willingness from the producer to indicate any degree of provenance.

Like I said, if you're sure then thats good enough for me

Cheers

Jez

39. RKW

RKW Sr Member

:lol

Here's a quick comparison.
    [​IMG]

I like the fact this mystery helmet has accurate greeblies in the mohawk.

40. Keith

Keith Sr Member

Can anyone tell me the correct diameter of the imperial cog decals?

Thanks,

Keith.

41. TK765

TK765 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

They are 3" in diameter.

42. DrStranglove

DrStranglove Sr Member

With LFL going after SDS right now, if I made the helmet, recast or not, I would not want too many people knowing it at all.

43. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

Good point but at the same time the maker of this helmet isn't going to advertise in mainstream magazines or make hundreds of them.
    I think AA brought more attention on himself by claiming he was the rightful copyright owner.

Anson

44. Keith

Keith Sr Member

I just sent payment for the decals, so i should have them in a few days :)

I'll post pictures of both of the helmet together when they are finished.

Keith.

45. LDR

LDR Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Keith, where did you get the lenses? Did they come with the kit? I have been looking for a once piece one for a TK helmet, but have only been able to find separates. The lenses look perfect.

Nice one.

Lewis

46. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

I've just been looking at RKW's excellent comparison photo and I'm curious to know something...
    It was stated that the decals were directly copied from a mint 1976 set so why are they completely different to the decals on the original helmet?

47. voice in the crowd

voice in the crowd Sr Member

I know everyone seems to love picking holes in SDS but those decals look the same to me. Maybe I need to go to Specsavers.............

The lighting and quality of the comparison pics adds to the problem.

If you look at the right hand side decal on the original it has more lighting than the left hand side and it is clear the left hand side looks different and less detailed.

The SDS pictured has more sunlight and the reflection on the white parts of the decal are effected by the glare.

Anyway just look at the pictures on www.sdsprops.com they look 100% exactly the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.sdsprops.com/pilot-popup3.htm

http://www.sdsprops.com/pilot-popup2.htm

I can see a small difference due to scaling, lighting and angle but really it is far from completely different. The pics on SDS website are far better reference.

Is it possibly to have a show off thread without starting another SDS nit pick.

Back on topic - great helmet Keith can't wait to see it with accurate decals :)

Cheers Chris.

Modified to simplify 7am garbled nonsense :)

48. AnsonJames

AnsonJames Sr Member

Have a look at this gif file...

[​IMG]

Anson

49. Keith

Keith Sr Member

The lens came with the kit.

Thanks,

Keith.

50. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

That can be caused by camera, angle, zoom and how far back the one taking to picture is standing. You cannot trust pictures like that, since they are basically created by optics and lenses; hense, prone to inaccuracy.

Just my two cents.