Tie Bomber Cut Away version

swgeek

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started this project at the same time as my regular SS Tie Bomber a couple years back. i just recently started working on it again and thought I'd start a thread about it.
First my SS Tie Bomber.

IMG_1106.jpg

When I made my first bomber, I made molds of all the parts I would need for the cut away version.

IMG_1041s.jpg

The idea behind this model was to depict the cut away like something you'd see in a war museum.

This is the start of the cut away section of the weapons bay.

IMG_1111s.jpg

I drew up the ribs in Illustrator and cut them on the laser cutter at work. (Nice to have access to toys) The skin is .015 styrene vacuformed over a piece of PVC pipe.

The main body taped together, so I could see if I liked the direction I was going.

IMG_1120s.jpg

IMG_1117s.jpg

The wings.
The left one cut back to give a better view of the bomb bay side.

IMG_1473s.jpg

IMG_1693s.jpg

The right wing, with some panels removed to show mechanical access to the wing and a pair of solar panels removed to show internal structure. This part was again drawn up in AI and laser cut out of .0625 acrylic.

IMG_1914Bs.jpg

The start of the bomb rack. I cut four larger rings and four smaller ones, (not shown in this picture) then glued them together with some strip styrene. They still need paint and detailing.

IMG_1150s.jpg

IMG_1155s.jpg

The main bomb chute almost complete.

229s.jpg

Thanks for looking. More progress to follow soon (I hope).

Looking very, very nice! Quite excellent, in fact!

No, I'm not the least bit humbled now by my current, feeble attempt at a cut-away build of an Space:1999 Eagle transporter ... :unsure

Damn you .. now I'm gonna have to finish my bomber!!!
Man am I a lazy ass!!

Great job on it .. looks really cool!

I think you just out-Eaton'd Jason Eaton on the creative TIE Bomber thing........:lol

I saw your TIE Bomber at the 2011 (or was it 2010) ValleyCon show. Looking forward to this..........

Gene

FINALLY!!!
Oh yeah well... OK, you're right, it's about friggin time.

Looking very, very nice! Quite excellent, in fact!

No, I'm not the least bit humbled now by my current, feeble attempt at a cut-away build of an Space:1999 Eagle transporter ... :unsure
No way man, let's see it. I've always liked the Eagle design.

Damn you .. now I'm gonna have to finish my bomber!!!
Man am I a lazy ass!!

Great job on it .. looks really cool!
Haha thanks! although I have to blame you for finding some of the unkown parts on the bomber and forcing me to retro fit mine.:cry

I think you just out-Eaton'd Jason Eaton on the creative TIE Bomber thing........:lol

I saw your TIE Bomber at the 2011 (or was it 2010) ValleyCon show. Looking forward to this..........

Gene
Very kind words, considering the level of Jason's work. and I think it was 2010.

Wow, thanks everybody for such high praise. The pressure should keep me on track to get this done. unfortunately with my work schedule of late, I'm only going to have weekends to work on this. more pictures to follow.

Hahaha, totally kicks my butt!!! In a great way, too. But if I had access to a laser cutter and lathe, I might give you a run for your money ;)

Looking forward to seeing more!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back