Thundercats Sword/Dagger of Omens

New update: Anyone remember the awesome test I did with super glue? Well It didn't work. I don't think the glue was deep enough on the actual piece to cause the wrinkle effect.

uploadfromtaptalk1392076722720.jpg

So I've had to scrape as much out of the gap as I can. It looks terrible. I've had a bit of a play to try to fix it but I'm still not sure about it.

uploadfromtaptalk1392076839080.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1392076860079.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks Razorsharp. I was just hoping to get the optical distortion from the lens but these do look WAY better in profile.

Have you thought about trying water clear resin inside the camera domes? That may add a touch of refraction for them to distort the TC logo underneath... It could be worth a play about with :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there. Sorry. Been mad busy with work. I'm ready to throw it in rubber but I'm still not that happy with the pattern/texture bit.

More updates soon.

uploadfromtaptalk1394783894573.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394783908778.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1394783920410.jpg

Rubber has been chucked! I was going to attempt a matrix mould but panicked at the last minute.

Should get a pull by monday...

looking good! any reason you've moulded the eye into it though? wasn't the plan to have the eye showing through the "glass" dome? moulding without the dome would've meant adding electronics would be possible too to make the eye light up, and you'd also be able to get a better finish on the eye having it a separate piece (could either tint or paint red from the inside, and on the outside it would look like red glass). Unless the dome was just in for the pics and taken off before pouring rubber on it, then ignore me :)

My thinking was by moulding it with the eye it'd be easier to pour and keep it strong. My plan was to drill out the eye on mine to place a clear version in. Worst case scenario I can remould it without.

Moulding began and finished this week and it will begin again next week.

uploadfromtaptalk1395302823741.jpg

My first mould was the worst I've ever made. I was a bit naive about the whole show to be fair. I did get some pulls which showed good detail but the form was awful.

uploadfromtaptalk1395302841242.jpg

More soon...

I'm yet to decide about eye inclusion or not.

If I leave it out there's not a lot of room for the resin to move through but if I mould it in then for most purposes it'll need drilling out!

Anyone have any thoughts?

I did start on my new super mould today and with a bit of help got pretty far.

uploadfromtaptalk1395859822473.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395859836172.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395859849451.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1395859862836.jpg

More tomorrow!

I'm yet to decide about eye inclusion or not.

If I leave it out there's not a lot of room for the resin to move through but if I mould it in then for most purposes it'll need drilling out!

Anyone have any thoughts?

I did start on my new super mould today and with a bit of help got pretty far.

More tomorrow!

Thats a mighty fine mold you've got there sir!

As for the with/without debate... I would be inclined to go for the WITH option, yes it means more work afterwards but i would take a 10-30 minute drill press session (depending on how giddy i got! =] ) over the risk of a the cast deforming/breaking due to weak points. The greater the mass of plastic, the better the exothermic reaction.

Just my two penneth though.

uploadfromtaptalk1395955772217.jpg

Today this was done...

uploadfromtaptalk1395955796253.jpg

... And I poured lots of silicone down here!

More tomorrow!

uploadfromtaptalk1396050063346.jpg

So this was this today. Not the neatest mould but WAY better than my last...

uploadfromtaptalk1396050126808.jpg

... So more rubber was chucked. Now for the bad news; I'm away all next week so I won't be able to open it til I get back. :-(

I signed up for the forums specifically because I saw your work here. It's amazing. Count me in for one if you plan to do a run of these!!

I signed up for the forums specifically because I saw your work here. It's amazing. Count me in for one if you plan to do a run of these!!

Wow! Thanks dude...

... So I couldn't wait a week. I went into the studio today and ran a "mould cleaner". Here it is:

uploadfromtaptalk1396110820487.jpg

I've done very little clean up here.

uploadfromtaptalk1396110852828.jpg

It feels SO good in hand.

uploadfromtaptalk1396110877366.jpg

One of the hand guard thingies broke off and skited off center a bit but its nothing a knife and bit of glue won't fix.

uploadfromtaptalk1396110990615.jpg

Some air bubbles in this run but again a bit more time taken during running would negate 95% of these.

uploadfromtaptalk1396111076335.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back