Thundercats Sword/Dagger of Omens

Would this work? 55mm Super Dome clear circle glass shapes. by SunAndMoonCraftKits

Says it has a 55mm diameter, 26mm domed center, and a flat back.

I googled "55mm glass dome" and it was basically the first result.

Sent from my Nexus 4

I honestly hadn't bothered to check Etsy, thinking I'd have trouble getting things shipped to the UK.

But that transpires not to be the case. I've ordered a couple of these so we'll see how well they fit/work.

Thanks.

how about a dummy cctv dome camera for the eye? and then trim down the acrylic dome to suit? like this one:

Fake Dummy LED Dome CCTV Security Surveillance Camera

you can usually pick them up in poundland (i got one from poundland in the Arndale not long ago ;) ). with one of these you could probably get a better shape to the eye too, rather than having a full half sphere on each side, you could trim is down to size, then it'll just be angled slightly rather than sticking out too much. might be worth a try for the price

Last edited:
how about a dummy cctv dome camera for the eye? and then trim down the acrylic dome to suit? like this one:

Fake Dummy LED Dome CCTV Security Surveillance Camera

you can usually pick them up in poundland (i got one from poundland in the Arndale not long ago ;) ). with one of these you could probably get a better shape to the eye too, rather than having a full half sphere on each side, you could trim is down to size, then it'll just be angled slightly rather than sticking out too much. might be worth a try for the price

Indeed they might. I was hoping for the lens to effect the design inside the eye (if that makes sense) but a shallower lens could look better and I could always fill them with resin.

Cheers for the tip.

uploadfromtaptalk1390905181724.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1390905193355.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1390905203929.jpg

Righto folks here's a little update:

Here are some update pics with the sword (at just under 60cm I've snuck into sword classification... Just).

I'm done with sanding... That is not to say however that the sanding is done. I'm going to prep for moulding and do the rest of the clean up on the resin.

I've ordered a couple of options for the eye so I'll update as soon as I make headway on those.

Here's an interesting discovery. I've been playing with different materials to kinda half fill some of my detailing. The idea being that surface tension would cause a cool concave effect.

uploadfromtaptalk1390905569817.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1390905585507.jpg

So far so average... But when I tried superglue and left it overnight:

uploadfromtaptalk1390905629860.jpg

HOW COOL IS THAT!?!?

I've blasted it with a bit of primer. I'll post a pic in a bit. Quite a neat little discovery though and adds some tonal/textural qualities to the handle.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I am crying from how awesome this is.

Wow. Thanks so much.

I'm just waiting on a materials order for my rubber for moulding and my parts for the "eye". Hopefully should have more to show next week.

Well plan A was a bust!

uploadfromtaptalk1391894301318.jpg

The 55mm glass domes were actually 60mm. So I guess my near 30 dollar shipping fee was a bit excessive after all.

However plan B actually worked pretty well...

uploadfromtaptalk1391894420053.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391894621683.jpg

I busted the fake cams open and sanded the plastic domes down to 55mm. They rest really well in the body of the dagger and the profile looks brilliant (probably batter than the glass would've looked).

uploadfromtaptalk1391894461386.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1391894682407.jpg

:) glad the idea worked well. I agree the curve looks a lot nicer than the half sphere's would have done too (that's exactly what I meant when I mentioned the idea initially). Definitely interested in one of these when you get moulding!

Thanks Razorsharp. I was just hoping to get the optical distortion from the lens but these do look WAY better in profile.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back