Thor & Ironman (arm construction costume pg.8)

Re: Thor & Ironman (Hand Assembly pg.7)

Hey Hi guys

just getting with a new question, Im trying to figure out how or what to use as stuffing for the heels of the ironman Boot, any ideas?

I was thinking to use some kind of hard rubber and a little of canned foam to fill some spaces

any idea will be well received

PS: what an awesome job you have done John

Thanks, man!
I'm a long way from making the boots, so I haven't begun to think about them yet, sorry.

Here is an update on the hand. Just need to get the repulsor up and running...
423394_4317947904509_1327298691_n.jpg

217940_4317948144515_1898960683_n.jpg

Thanks, man!
I'm a long way from making the boots, so I haven't begun to think about them yet, sorry.

Looks great!!!
Can you share where I could download your pep files?
Really admire your focus on the details......:thumbsup

Thanks, man!

yup I'm throwin another hand in the trash and redo it for the 100th time thanks alot lol jk your work is awesome! :) nice craftsmanship. :thumbsup

Looks great!!!
Can you share where I could download your pep files?
Really admire your focus on the details......:thumbsup

Thank you. I think I enjoy the detailing, because it can really get your mind off anything :)

I'm using Robo3687 Mk 4/6 files for the armor:
Iron Man Pep Files.rar - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

And Zabana's hand files (on the first post of link below):
http://www.therpf.com/f24/war-machine-high-def-pepakura-team-up-113492/

yup I'm throwin another hand in the trash and redo it for the 100th time thanks alot lol jk your work is awesome! :) nice craftsmanship. :thumbsup

It's amazing how fast new files come out, or how much you learn with each piece you make. Never stop until your satisfied :)

Re: Thor & Ironman (Forearm to Fingers pg.8)

Now that the right hand is almost done and no way of finishing the suit by halloween, I'm gonna go for the 'arm building phase' for a costume.

There are 2 scenes, where Tony is working with the arm, and 3 different variations of the armor.
Let me explain:
The first scene is where he is testing the 'flight stabilizer' and blows himself back in the process. This scene has no armor or hand on the suit, so I'm not going to go for that.
The second scene starts with Tony on the couch as he uses a screwdriver to adjust the repulsor as he watches television. At this point, about 80% of the forearm is covered with armor and none of the substructure can be seen (Too many wires). Then, there is a camera change and he stands up and eventually starts shooting. The forearm is about 20% covered in armor at this point and the forearm-to-elbow connection steel is exposed.
Since I didn't notice this movie flaw until I decided to make this build, I'm not going to be too concerned with accuracy. I'm going to do a hybrid of the second scene. I'm going to go about 40% armor. This way, there will be plenty of exposed wires and enough armor to hide most of the substructure.

What I have so far:
I made some templates with Autocad and made the substructure from sintra. I used binding posts fo the connections.
100_3647.jpg

100_3651.jpg

Then I added a pep mk 2 forearm (Still in smoothing phase)
100_3652.jpg

100_3657.jpg

100_3655.jpg

Once I paint the substructure, it's gonna be fun adding the wiring/hoses. I still need to finish and smooth the armor and make a mk 2 handplate.

I believe Therealstark is creating the electronics system for this type of build. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick that up.

I'll try to post the substructure templates on Monday for anyone that is interested.

MightyJohn,

I humbly applaud your system for your ironman helmet. I know you've explained in depth your system i was wondering if you could provide a list as to exactly what supplies i need for this. I will forever be in your debt.
I went to the great planes site and have that store 20 miles away from my house :)
i dont know much about servos and have spent hours trying to figure out what is best. That's time i need to spend finishing my build for Halloween.
I'm not very educated in servos and would appreciate any help you can provide.

Happy building!!

Re: Thor & Ironman (Servo talk pg.3)

Thanks for the support, Prince NEO. Much appreciated!

For the eyes:
Notice the slots in the faceplate are larger then the the glowing eyes. That is so you can see out of the faceplate from below the glowing part of the eyes. And the outer shell reflex the light from the eyes to help block the view of the wearer's eyes.
In this pic you can see the view slot that is under the glowing eyes.
100_1061.jpg

...and taking the battery off the faceplate also means less weight the servos will need to pull.

MightyJohn, thanks for posting your build on line. Still working on my helmet and just getting into the eyes and motorizing the faceplate. Totally makes sense to have the battery attached to the main part of the helmet to take weight off the servos. Are you using the same battery to power the LEDs and your servo? If so, could you tell me what kind of battery you're using and how are you connecting both to the same battery?

Thanks.
I can't believe how well the latex glove works. I used 2 layers per eye.

Servo Prep work:

I did a, temporary, hot glue hook-up of some pull cables to get an idea of the force required.

First off: My total weight of my faceplate is 13.2 oz (0.825 lbs)

I connected a inch-pound scale to one of the pull cables.
one side required 8 to 10 inch-pounds (2 required).

Converted to servo lingo: 9.2 kg/cm to 11.5 kg/cm

Good...'cus I ordered 20 kg/cm servos :)

MightyJohn, what servos did you order?

About the servo´s questions, if you mean to go ahead of 90 degrees of movement I can help. Firstly try carefully to move the servo from side to side with your hands, if it ha near 180 degress then you will do it. I coded my servos with an arduino and I reach with them the 180 desires degrees. The second question can be done easily with an arduino too.

Zabana, could you tell me which Arduino you purchased? I am totally clueless on what I need. But would like to use the Arduiono to control faceplate and repulsors and possibly a speaker/mic.

Zabana, could you tell me which Arduino you purchased? I am totally clueless on what I need. But would like to use the Arduiono to control faceplate and repulsors and possibly a speaker/mic.
I worked with two kind of them, ´cause anyone fits our customes, the mega and the nano ;)

Re: Thor & Ironman (Servo Script pg.4)

I bought a 7.2v rechargable battery for my servos:lol. Soo...much...power.

CAUTION - to those that want to attempt this build- I'm now afraid the push rods could break free and stab me in the neck :confused:lol

I love the new battery, thou. The servos are WAY stronger now and the speed is much faster. 15kg servos (maybe lower) would easily do for my helmet. I was using 4 AA batteries (6v) before.

MightyJohn. Just wondering if you stayed with the push rods or went to cables? I'm getting ready to install my own hinges.

Love the builds, and I thought I'd give this a bump...
How is the Thor helmet going? I am doing the same build next, and I'm trying to get my scaling right. I saw your measurements, but do you think it ended up a little big before you modded it? I have the same sized head, and I want to keep it pretty low profile.

Maybe go 100 mm smaller?

MightyJohn. Just wondering if you stayed with the push rods or went to cables? I'm getting ready to install my own hinges.

If you are not going to remove your helmet, I would recommend pull cables. Servos in the helmet are a nightmare to work with. The helmet is a very small space. If you can put the servos in the chest or back, you can get bigger, more relaible servos and for a cheaper price.

Love the builds, and I thought I'd give this a bump...
How is the Thor helmet going? I am doing the same build next, and I'm trying to get my scaling right. I saw your measurements, but do you think it ended up a little big before you modded it? I have the same sized head, and I want to keep it pretty low profile.

Maybe go 100 mm smaller?

I haven't finished it yet. The width is fine. I would still like to take a little off the "tail" (if that makes sense). It sticks a few inches too far past the back of the neck.

Excellent build!

Nice to see some quality work being done in the mitten... I am in Clawson.

Subscribed.

I am going to be starting a pair of zabana hands soon.. any advice?

:thumbsup

Excellent build!

Nice to see some quality work being done in the mitten... I am in Clawson.

Subscribed.

I am going to be starting a pair of zabana hands soon.. any advice?

:thumbsup

I can think of 2 things

1. Some parts are too small to use our fingers to glue together. I used the tip of my exacto knife and a finger to hold smaller things together.

2. some parts have so small of detail, or so small of tabs that they need to be omitted and replaced with mudding (bondo) to fill the void.

Words of wisdom:
You will have the finished product for years...so an extra couple hours creating it will be well worth it!

Thanks John!

I've build the right hand and I agree about omitting some of the tiny tiny pieces.
Being my first ever pep build I may have jumped into the deep end of the pool so to speak... I really like it though, far more accurate than foam.

I learned a lot from the first hand, going to build the opposite one next and then most likely rebuild the first one. I'll keep the original as a tester for fiber glassing etc.

So question? Using your sweet code (thanks for posting that), was wondering if the Pololu can do that "eye flash delay" when the faceplate closes. I see it done with an arduino but cant seem to figure out the code for the Pololu? I can make the eyes flash or turn on not delay a sec, then flash a bit, then stay on till the open press.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back