Thor Costume (Pre Avengers) & Hammer!

Re: Thor Costume & Hammer - HAMMER COMPLETE & ARMOUR PLASTI-DIPPED

Awesome work, man! I've started on the gauntlets from the movie, but i think i bought some faulty plasti-dip. when i sprayed it, the plasti-dip left little bubbles everywhere. do those smooth out after painting or is there a method i can use to get rid of them?

Thats some great work tom- I'm always amazed how talented people are on here-
All this Thor stuff rocks!!!! cant wait to see more updates ...

Awesome work, man! I've started on the gauntlets from the movie, but i think i bought some faulty plasti-dip. when i sprayed it, the plasti-dip left little bubbles everywhere. do those smooth out after painting or is there a method i can use to get rid of them?

are you talking about actual bubble or more like fish eyes, you have to do around 2-4 coats to get it right.

So I have been absent on here for quite some time due to work etc. but managed to my suit done in time for last new year.

The only down side was I sprayed up the chest armour the day before and got the blue and silver colours wrong, but people got the idea.

I am going to revisit this and spray it up to be more realistic.

Gauntlets...
iPhone422.jpg

I trimmed this with the same fabric that I used for the cape.

Cape...
iPhone425.jpg

iPhone427.jpg

I used empty drinks bottles doubled up and rare earth magnets to attached the cape. This also helped achieve that "big shoulder" feel to the cape.

I made a metallic shirt to resemble the armour sleeves...
iPhone428a.jpg

AND THEN I WENT OUT AND KICKED THE CRAP OF MY FRIEND CAPTAIN AMERICA!!!...
ThorvsCap.jpg

Ultimately I got the silver totally wrong for the discs on the chest, it really annoyed me but I did not have time to correct it for when I was due to wear it.

Re: Thor Costume & Hammer - ALMOST DONE!

That's a hilarious photo of you and Cap! haha!

The metal shirt is a great solution! Did you make it? Have you thought of wearing some muscle sleeves under it?

I also like the magnet idea. Very easy to put on and take off. :)

Be sure to post photos when you do the repaint from the front!!

Don't hurt Cap! Why can't we all just get along? Seriously, here is me as Cap, and my buddy Bob as Thor, at FanExpo Vancouver:)

That's a hilarious photo of you and Cap! haha!

The metal shirt is a great solution! Did you make it? Have you thought of wearing some muscle sleeves under it?

I also like the magnet idea. Very easy to put on and take off. :)

Be sure to post photos when you do the repaint from the front!!

Yes I made the shirt, god knows how I managed it as I've never done anything like that before. Then again I've never made costumes before!

I considered muscle sleeves but did not have time to get hold of some. I need to get my ass to a gym!

The magnets worked well being as though some drunk idiot thought it would be funny to rip the cape off. Turns out it did rip the armour on the shoulders slightly.

Last edited:
Amazing work what type of foam did you use as I'm looking to make a Thor costume after I'm done with my iron man build

I used standard camping mats for this project. I'm from the UK and they are really cheap.

The foam isn't as good quality as EVA foam but I wanted to experiment with this foam as I'm new to the whole game and didn't want to spend a lot to make a mess of it!

Im going to revisit the paint on this just for the reason I was a but disappointed with the colours then I'm going to tackle iron man I hope!

How thick are the camping mats you used? This is a great build. Did you do the helmet yourself too?

The foam is about 6mm thick I believe. It did the trick for this build!

As for the helmet, yes I made it myself. I bought a plastic bowler hat, trimmed it down to make it shallower and the freehanded all the foam pieces.

By no means is it the most accurate but it cost me next to nothing to make!

costume looks amazing! i wish someone would make some pep files of this suit, i dont think i'd be able to do it freehand.
keep up the good work!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back