Thor Avengers Foam Costume WIP

noleafclover614

Hey guys,

I am relatively new here and have seen some great threads about using EVA foam for costumes. I decided to take what I have learned and use it to create a Thor costume for Halloween. I ordered some 4mm EVA foam from eBay, got some reference pictures of Thor online, and went at it. Here is my progress so far!

I found some metallic-like fabric at a local Joanne's and used that for the sleeves. I cut the fabric to size and sewed the pieces to fit my arms.

For the chest piece, I just looked at pictures of Thor from the Avengers photos we have gotten so far and drew some patterns on cardstock. After I got them looking right, I transferred them to the foam and cut them out. I then glued them together with hot glue.

I eventually want to do the helmet - not sure how I will approach that. Perhaps foam or cardstock.

its the disguise hammer :)

with some filler, a little paint and some leather straps its movie accurate :) so, if youre just using it for the costume, the hammer will easily do :)

its the disguise hammer :)

with some filler, a little paint and some leather straps its movie accurate :) so, if youre just using it for the costume, the hammer will easily do :)

Do you mean paint for the hammer or paint for my foam? I plan on heading out to Home Depot to pick out some silver/black paint (perhaps some blue too for tiny details).

Pieces need to be glued, painted and trimmed, but this is the basic layout. I'll need to strap them together in the back with luggage straps and more foam to have them fit on my body, and probably do some shoulder reinforcing to support the cape. (Don't mind the dog cage underneath, I'm tight on space!)

I bought some red felt to wrap around my forearms for the "gauntlet" pieces Thor wears in the movie. Do you guys think just cutting some foam out in the correct shape and attaching it with luggage straps around my arm would suffice?

well i think it is basicly this:

the shape out of foam, glued to the red fabric, and 2 elastic bands around it so it fits snugly to the forearm :)

Got the helmet basically done. I still need to shape the very top of it, but overall it's finished. Just need to do a layer of base coat black and mod-podge it, then it will be painted silver.

Helmet looks pretty good, was it pepped?

I used a pepakura template printed out on regular paper just to see how the helmet fit together. Once I had that down, I transferred most of the patterns to foam and glued them together. Most of it was trial and error, but that's half the fun (other than burning my finger with hot glue.)

Brainstorming ideas for the shoulder + cape area. Any ideas on how to get the same shape / arc that Thor's cape has in the movie ? See attached picture. He has a very distinct curve that arcs over his shoulders and makes the cape look large.

Brainstorming ideas for the shoulder + cape area. Any ideas on how to get the same shape / arc that Thor's cape has in the movie ? See attached picture. He has a very distinct curve that arcs over his shoulders and makes the cape look large.

I've been helping my BF with his foam thor, too - i'm betting some thick (1/4"+) foam for the base of the arch and then either reinforcing that with resin/something else to rigidify (is that a word?) the foam or just building up shaped support underneath should hold it in shape. We will be making the cape detachable with magnets holding it in place. Haven't determined which suggestion will work best in our case yet, but likely the latter/combo of both, due to the weight of our cape (2yds of gorgeous red wool = heavy, but flowy!)

you can see in the movie that its soft underneath the cape, so its probably some kind of foam. ifs also pretty thick, maybe put some foam plates together, and give it the fitting form. the cape seems to be all around the base, so front and back,so you need to sew it together in the middle of the side thats facing your back. It seems to be attached to the chest piece with velcro, because it comes of by tearing on it (seen when odin takes his cape away :) )
also, there is some red fabric still on the chest piece, even without the cape, thats probably where the velcro is

hope that is somehow understandable :)

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back