Thor (2011) Movie Helmet Build Thread

Deckard1981

After searching online for hours for a Thor helmet replica (helmet not worn often enough in the film...lame) so I decided to build a replica using the disguise costume helmet as a base. I will, however, build a helmet to the specs of the hero prop using this base and documentation I have collect from MARVEL STUDIOS and Comic-Con 2010 photos for references.

IMAG0815.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Thor (2011) Movie Helmet Build & Interest Thread

The plan is to cast it out either in Urethane resin, or lay it up in Fiberglass and then get it plated.

Here are some references of the sideshow 12", and of the film prop before it was electro plated:

121358xdz2yymqrdmyq2w2.jpg

5612232375_6a9d2c7fac_z.jpg

Last edited:

Some more reference pics, while I pick up Bondo, Fiberglass cloth, and Polyester Resin...

71exTETcieL.jpg

Perfect. :) Thanks for those last ones, now I can get going on my build. :thumbsup

What kind of plating is it? How could you get it to be metallic looking, without super chrome-looking and shiney?

Just normal chrome with a satin clear coat to dull it down

fettster, thanks for that idea...

I have been looking into having the helm nickel plated locally, however another alternative I was looking into was Krylon Just Like Glass Chrome.

I am open to any and all suggestions.
With the GF gone for the holiday for 5 days I will be getting a lot done.

On the schedule for tomorrow is glassing the interior crown piece, and wing/cheek guards.

Pics will be updated of the WIP as well...

Progress: Finally, I am in the process of laying up fiberglass into the crown, and wing/cheek guard I will post some pics tomorrow when everything is cured.

71exTETcieL.jpg

Just want to point out the crown on this is too flat and the wings are overly curved forward!

Okay so being that I am using the base that I am in the fashion pepakura helmets are here. I went ahead and mixed a 3:1 ratio of Bondo, and Polyester resin, the added the hardeners in the same 3:1 ratio. The reason I did this was because polyester resin gets very hot when curing, and I did not want the base to warp being it is thin plastic.

The Bondo sets quick reducing the effect of the heat as the polyester resin hardens.

I the laid 3.5oz fiberglass matte into the base dome of the crown and completed the wing/cheekguard pieces.

My next step will be to finish fiberglassing the crown.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back