Things you're tired of seeing in movies

To be fair, with She-Hulk it's a trope inherent to the comic, so for once they're actually trued to the source material.
Then She-Hulk is just as guilty as the series. It’s not news that this sort of hero deconstruction has been going on in comics for years, and dwindling comics sales reflect that.

Absolutely. Both Ripley and Sarah Connor were indisputably feminine. Even Leia was very feminine, though Lucas didn’t give her an arc. As a supporting character to the hero, she didn’t absolutely need one, and making her feisty and smart added humorous irony to the “rescue.” (Luke and Han both had hero arcs, though they start as polar opposites. Luke is the naïve idealist, Han the jaded rogue, but they both end up as heroes.)
But Leia never sat there screaming "help me!". She kicked ass in her own way but she also worked as a team. Today though, even as a kid, she's smarter than everyone else because she "don't need no man". I'm sure that's at least part of the reason they separated her and Han in the sequels.

But Leia never sat there screaming "help me!". She kicked ass in her own way but she also worked as a team. Today though, even as a kid, she's smarter than everyone else because she "don't need no man". I'm sure that's at least part of the reason they separated her and Han in the sequels.
Yeah, it’s fine for her to be that way in Star Wars as a young adult; but it’s completely unrealistic for a child. Somewhere between the 10-year-old and the 19-year-old there needs to be a growth arc if she’s to be at all believable. Not only is Obi-Wan being emasculated; with regard to child Leia, they’ve taken away his adult judgment as well. Robbing male characters of agency is another woke technique (if you can call deconstruction a “technique”), and it’s weak writing. ST: Strange New Hair did that to Pike a couple episodes ago in the child-killing incident.

As for separating Leia from Han, yeah that’s one solution—another might have been to keep them together and work their relationship problems into the plot. Adding conflict is rarely the wrong way to go in a story.

The real Skywalker Saga, when one clan's family issues drag the entire galaxy into chaos!
Sounds like the basis of a juicy multi-volume epic, doesn’t it? Luke & co. save the day, but then internal strife and family squabbles throw the New Republic into chaos. The First Order coalesces to fill the power vacuum, and the Skywalkers must learn to put aside their differences to face the new threat—or watch everything they’ve fought for and built crumble to dust. I’d pay to see that.

Sounds like the basis of a juicy multi-volume epic, doesn’t it? Luke & co. save the day, but then internal strife and family squabbles throw the New Republic into chaos. The First Order coalesces to fill the power vacuum, and the Skywalkers must learn to put aside their differences to face the new threat—or watch everything they’ve fought for and built crumble to dust. I’d pay to see that.
We already had that with the later seasons of nuBSG, when it went from a space opera to a goddamn soap opera with spaceships.

We already had that with the later seasons of nuBSG, when it went from a space opera to a goddamn soap opera with spaceships.
I thought NuBSG was great drama. I didn’t mind the Starbuck gender swap, since they made her just as flawed and unruly as the Dirk Benedict version (if not more so), she was plenty feminine (with a tendency to sleep around), and she had to struggle against her flaws and grow. It was much more adult and believable than BSG TOS. That was before shows started actively deconstructing heroes and turning women into Mary Sues. All the BSG characters were fully realized people. Even President Roslin suffers a fall when she becomes obsessed with keeping Baltar out of power and rigs an election. The road to hell, as they say.

I do think they jumped the shark a bit when they did the reveal of the four Cylons. That felt forced, like they were making it up as they went along.

I thought NuBSG was great drama. I didn’t mind the Starbuck gender swap, since they made her just as flawed and unruly as the Dirk Benedict version (if not more so), she was plenty feminine (with a tendency to sleep around), and she had to struggle against her flaws and grow.
Those aren't the show's problems, but for about two season's worth it goes all "Days of Our Lives, but in space" and the fact that it's supposed to be a science fiction show is relegated to an afterthought.

Those aren't the show's problems, but for about two season's worth it goes all "Days of Our Lives, but in space" and the fact that it's supposed to be a science fiction show is relegated to an afterthought.
Fair enough, though that strikes me as more of a genre balance issue than a fundamental flaw.

Tangentially, 2001: A Space Odyssey turns a similar problem into a core strength. HAL 9000 develops a personality problem (arguably psychosis), and thus the drama of AI insanity becomes the SF element. Very tidy writing.

I thought NuBSG was great drama. I didn’t mind the Starbuck gender swap, since they made her just as flawed and unruly as the Dirk Benedict version (if not more so), she was plenty feminine (with a tendency to sleep around), and she had to struggle against her flaws and grow. It was much more adult and believable than BSG TOS. That was before shows started actively deconstructing heroes and turning women into Mary Sues. All the BSG characters were fully realized people. Even President Roslin suffers a fall when she becomes obsessed with keeping Baltar out of power and rigs an election. The road to hell, as they say.

I do think they jumped the shark a bit when they did the reveal of the four Cylons. That felt forced, like they were making it up as they went along.
I had zero problem in making some characters female as when the original BSG aired, almost all military members who'd get shot at were males. Not so much now.
I have always wondered why there wasn't more uproar of turning the only black characters (Boomer and COL Tigh) over to an Asian and white actor, respectively. There were very few black (I won't call them African-American as I think the few who were on the show were more likely Canadian) characters on the show, and I found it odd you never heard much from people who were upset over that.
I always thought that the show ran at least a season longer than it should have. They should have found a way to wrap it up after the New Caprica fallout and avoided the "final five" nonsense. As much as I loved the show, it's ending was almost as cringe-inducing as the ending of the "How I met your mother" sitcom.

Last edited:
I had zero interest in making some characters female as when the original BSG aired, almost all military members who'd get shot at were males. Not so much now.
I have always wondered why there wasn't more uproar of turning the only black characters (Boomer and COL Tigh) over to an Asian and white actor, respectively. There were very few black (I won't call them African-American as I think the few who were on the show were more likely Canadian) characters on the show, and I found it odd you never heard much from people who were upset over that.
I always thought that the show ran at least a season longer than it should have. They should have found a way to wrap it up after the New Caprica fallout and avoided the "final five" nonsense. As much as I loved the show, it's ending was almost as cringe-inducing as the ending of the "How I met your mother" sitcom.
I didn't care because nuGalactica was so vastly different than the original that it wasn't really even the same show.

Fair enough, though that strikes me as more of a genre balance issue than a fundamental flaw.

Tangentially, 2001: A Space Odyssey turns a similar problem into a core strength. HAL 9000 develops a personality problem (arguably psychosis), and thus the drama of AI insanity becomes the SF element. Very tidy writing.
I don't know if HAL had developed a psychosis :unsure: I think HAL was testing the human crew/part of the mission to see if their level of dedication and loyalty to the mission remained solid no matter the challenges. I think that the replacement of the "defective" radar unit was a ploy to just test that loyalty...they failed:p

In Sci-Fi or tech heavy shows, regarding ship repairs/computer reboots/system hacking etc.
When the General/Captain/Commander/Boss says: "How long will it take?" to which his under-ling replies: "At least 2 hours, sir".

Only to have the Boss say "You've got 10 minutes!" As if somehow, putting someone on an impossible deadline will enable them to magically work faster/be more efficient/take new shortcuts?

...and they always seem to pull it off!

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Last edited:
In Sci-Fi or tech heavy shows, regarding ship repairs/computer reboots/system hacking etc.
When the General/Captain/Commander/Boss says: "How long will it take?" to which his underlying replies: "At least 2 hours, sir".

Only to have the Boss say "You've got 10 minutes!" As if somehow, putting someone on an impossible deadline will enable them to magically work faster/be more efficient/take new shortcuts?

It must have been said already but be it here there on this big blue planet or Mars they always have a bunch of generic wires to either Pull out, pull down, cut twist or get a spark off :D

When the General/Captain/Commander/Boss says: "How long will it take?" to which his underlying replies: "At least 2 hours, sir".

I *think* it was in the TNG episode where they pull Scotty out of the transporter, but he tells someone (Geordi?) something like always telling the captain it will take longer and then getting it done quicker. The only thing worse is the underling saying "I'm not a miracle worker!"

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back