Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I can't remember which movie it was in, but as part of the plot a "hit man" used a two-liter soda bottle as a silencer/suppressor and I was surprised when the sound effect they used was pretty much what you'd expect a soda bottle silencer to sound like--not much quieter than a normal gunshot, and certainly louder than the "traditional" hiss/whistle silencer sound effect.
I've seen that used. It works to a degree but yeah, it doesn't quiet it down as much as the movies would lead you to think. You can only get a couple of shots out of it as well.

You guys ever see a De Lisle carbine?
It was a suppressed Lee Enfield chambered in .45 ACP for British Commandos in WWII.
All you can hear is the action.

Guns with integral suppressors are the exception to the rule that suppressed weapons aren't actually Hollywood quiet. Even then, for a suppressed weapon to be as quiet as shown in the videos, they have to be firing subsonic ammunition. Part of the noise a gun makes when firing is from the primer setting off the gunpowder in the cartridge, the other part is the sonic boom of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. The suppressor works on the first part, the cartridge going off, but it doesn't do anything for the second part, the sonic boom, that's where subsonic ammunition comes into play.

HK MP5SD does a pretty impressive job reducing even supersonic 9mm to subsonic speeds. But that is a little more elaborate than your garden-variety screw-on oil filter.

And it sounds more like a benign thwack (I'm guessing is mostly the sound of the bolt) than the movie soundboard "pew pew" we all know.

I've shot several suppressed weapons, including QD, screw on and factory made (including an OSS M3 submachine gun). I promise you, none of them make the sound of just the action. Yes, I mean the Delisle as well.
Sure, they're all much quieter than a standard firearm in the same class, but I can assure you all that none make a sound you cannot hear outside of a room.

Here's one:
Something loud happens and all you hear is a tinnitus ringing which slowly builds back to normal sound, with horrific images in the meantime.

Here's one:
Something loud happens and all you hear is a tinnitus ringing which slowly builds back to normal sound, with horrific images in the meantime.

MAWP...

cAZUEEm.gif

One that especially drives me nuts:
A fighter pilot lines up a kill and going to guns (or back when they all had guns) and the pilot shakes like he's being electrocuted if he pulls/pushes the trigger. Folks, even on a WW2 fighter, the guns are usually operated with solenoids, for guns that are several feet way, sitting on cradles within the wings. There's no way the vibrations from them would be noticeable for the pilot!

One that especially drives me nuts:
A fighter pilot lines up a kill and going to guns (or back when they all had guns) and the pilot shakes like he's being electrocuted if he pulls/pushes the trigger. Folks, even on a WW2 fighter, the guns are usually operated with solenoids, for guns that are several feet way, sitting on cradles within the wings. There's no way the vibrations from them would be noticeable for the pilot!

Yeah I've read a ton of books on WW2 pilots and they never mention that. They mention smelling gunsmoke and that it can slow the plane, but not shuddering. Now if you talk to A-10 pilots, they can feel it.

I can't remember which movie it was in, but as part of the plot a "hit man" used a two-liter soda bottle as a silencer/suppressor and I was surprised when the sound effect they used was pretty much what you'd expect a soda bottle silencer to sound like--not much quieter than a normal gunshot, and certainly louder than the "traditional" hiss/whistle silencer sound effect.
Pretty sure that was Marky Mark in The Shooter.

Pretty sure that was Marky Mark in The Shooter.
Good guess, but it couldn't be because I've never seen that movie; I really don't like Marky Mark much. Also, I remembered the movie was called Angel's Dance (1999) starring Jim Belushi as hit man Stevie "The Rose" Rosellini, Kyle Chandler as his trainee Tony Greco, and Sheryl Lee as Angelica Chaste, their practice target.

Good guess, but it couldn't be because I've never seen that movie; I really don't like Marky Mark much. Also, I remembered the movie was called Angel's Dance (1999) starring Jim Belushi as hit man Stevie "The Rose" Rosellini, Kyle Chandler as his trainee Tony Greco, and Sheryl Lee as Angelica Chaste, their practice target.
Sooo...lemme re-watch that scene: this guy is shooting another guy who's pretty close to Pena...from a bobbing boato_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back