Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Ferrel was good in "Stranger than Fiction" and should be used more in those serious kind of roles; he can do it.
Seth Rogen also...but please: no laughter:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::devil::devil::devil::devil:
I agree with the idea that many of these comedic actors, who can pull it off, should do more serious roles since it would greatly extend their career. After a while, these comedians just aren't that funny because they do same the thing over and over again in every movie again and, outside of their die hard fans, people get tired of their schtick and they get replaced by somebody new with a fresh schtick. I think that the problem is twofold, one is directors not seeing these actors as being serious actors and so either don't consider them when casting or don't give them much of a chance if they do actually get an audition. Related to that is audience expectation, they expect these funny people to be funny and have a problem with being in a serious role.

I think that the best solution for these actors is to pick the right roles that allow them to be more serious than in previous purely comedic roles but at the same time, not a purely serious/dramatic role either. For instance, if Jim Carrey had done more roles like in The Truman Show he probably could have successfully transitioned to being a dramatic actor like Robin Williams had and Tom Hanks is.

Jim Carrey would still have a career if he hadn't pissed off literally everyone with his method acting ******** for Man on the Moon.

Ferrel was good in "Stranger than Fiction" and should be used more in those serious kind of roles; he can do it.
Seth Rogen also...but please: no laughter:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::devil::devil::devil::devil:
Love Stranger Than Fiction. Ferrel is excellent in it.

Still wearing my Timex Ironman. Really needs a new battery for the hands though!!
20210731_203450.jpg

I've never seen either of them. *shrug*
Me, neither. I've never been a big fan of his kind of comedy. For example, I loved the Lego movie, but him being in it was not a selling point for me.
And I made the huge mistake of listening to a Howard Stern interview of Seth Rogan. I needed another blood pressure pill after about 10 minutes, as for that laugh...

That's one thing that bugged me about that Amazon show The Boys. They are wanted and they are running around with maybe a hoodie with no care in the world. Not to mention using cell phones all over the place. They mention using burner phones, but I know intel services can listen for names, so they would be toast. Good show though.

I have another one; military movies where the characters tell each other things that they would already know. I was watching Dunkirk, which I thought was overhyped even though the real story is great, and the Spitfire pilot leader says "Watch for bandits coming out of the sun." or something. Duh! I know they are doing that because the general public might not know, but the pilots would know to do that! They might as well say "Remember men, keep your plane in the air because that's how we shoot down the enemy!" My other peeve was how they showed the video through the gun sight. They had the pilots only firing when the crosshair was directly on the enemy plane. The only time that would hit is when the enemy was level directly in front of you! They were even doing that when the enemy plane was clearly turning and they still shot when the crosshair was right on the plane, which would result in the bullets falling behind it!

Being wanted by the police and when entering a gas station or shop your picture happens to be on the TV at that exact moment.
In the old days before computers were everywhere they would place a newspaper stand right in front of the counter where the attendant stood, and every paper on the stand would have an unnecessarily large photo of the "wanted" person on the front page of every copy. :rolleyes:

As a physician, it amazes me how:

1) TV/movie characters can constantly be tossed around, flipped, fall from over 10 feet and get back up to continue the fight. At the least, you would have a concussion. At the most, you would be unconscious with a potential cerebral bleed. A fall from a 6 foot ladder can do significant harm to neck and head, crack ribs, puncture a lung, let alone a drop from a second story window.

2) Your back is NOT made of rubber. Heroes got tossed across the room/forest/haunted tomb/parking lot etc. and whack up against a wall/post/support beam/car with their back, and slide down. Somehow, their spine protects them from serious harm (cough...cough... Black Widow... cough... Rey).

3) Our hero gets stabbed through the abdomen with a sharp object (ala Tony Stark) and somehow lives without medical care. Even if a major blood vessel isn't hit by the implement, intra-abdominal stab wounds put holes in you intestines, which leak your "poop" and digestive juices into your abdominal cavity. While not immediately fatal, this can quickly lead to peritonitis, bacteremia, sepsis (aka blood poisoning) and death without immediate surgery.

season 3 starz GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead

That's one thing that bugged me about that Amazon show The Boys. They are wanted and they are running around with maybe a hoodie with no care in the world. Not to mention using cell phones all over the place. They mention using burner phones, but I know intel services can listen for names, so they would be toast. Good show though.

I have another one; military movies where the characters tell each other things that they would already know. I was watching Dunkirk, which I thought was overhyped even though the real story is great, and the Spitfire pilot leader says "Watch for bandits coming out of the sun." or something. Duh! I know they are doing that because the general public might not know, but the pilots would know to do that! They might as well say "Remember men, keep your plane in the air because that's how we shoot down the enemy!" My other peeve was how they showed the video through the gun sight. They had the pilots only firing when the crosshair was directly on the enemy plane. The only time that would hit is when the enemy was level directly in front of you! They were even doing that when the enemy plane was clearly turning and they still shot when the crosshair was right on the plane, which would result in the bullets falling behind it!
I actually feel that warning your fellow pilots about keeping an eye out for bandits coming from out of the sun is not that far fetched. I can see a flight of squadron leader reminding their fellow pilots to keep an eye out for enemy planes coming out of the sun. Sure, it's kind of obvious that you use the sun to your advantage, but sometimes obvious things can get forgotten in the heat of battle or the nervous anticipation of battle.

As far as crosshairs on targets go, the general public (to include most screenwriters and effects people) know nothing about leading your target. Most people think that, with any type of gun, that if you lay the center of the crosshairs that's where you're going to hit. They don't understand things like leading a moving target because by the time your bullet arrives there your target won't be. They also don't understand how a zero works and they assume that no matter the distance to your target, you just simply center your crosshairs on it and you'll hit. They don't know that the center of the crosshairs is set of a particular distance and if the target is further or closer than what your scope or sights were set at, you're going to have to aim higher or lower in order to hit your target.

There was some Van Damme movie where he was impaled through the leg, I think with rebar, and he continues fighting and then sleeps with the main woman in the movie, without a hospital visit. Yeah I'd totally be in the mood after my leg was impaled!
I had my right bicep impaled once by a section of tubing about twice the diameter of the insert of a ball point pen. I didn't feel real pain for several hours and wasn't even aware of it for quite a while after it happened.
Now, later that day? It ached like you would think that it would.
But yeah, the idea of intimacy with my girlfriend at the time, that evening? No freaking way!

As a physician, it amazes me how:

1) TV/movie characters can constantly be tossed around, flipped, fall from over 10 feet and get back up to continue the fight. At the least, you would have a concussion. At the most, you would be unconscious with a potential cerebral bleed. A fall from a 6 foot ladder can do significant harm to neck and head, crack ribs, puncture a lung, let alone a drop from a second story window.

2) Your back is NOT made of rubber. Heroes got tossed across the room/forest/haunted tomb/parking lot etc. and whack up against a wall/post/support beam/car with their back, and slide down. Somehow, their spine protects them from serious harm (cough...cough... Black Widow... cough... Rey).

3) Our hero gets stabbed through the abdomen with a sharp object (ala Tony Stark) and somehow lives without medical care. Even if a major blood vessel isn't hit by the implement, intra-abdominal stab wounds put holes in you intestines, which leak your "poop" and digestive juices into your abdominal cavity. While not immediately fatal, this can quickly lead to peritonitis, bacteremia, sepsis (aka blood poisoning) and death without immediate surgery.

season 3 starz GIF by Ash vs Evil Dead
This is something I'm extremely fussy about in writing. No injury goes unresearched, especially major ones, and I spend more time reading than writing as a result.

This is something I'm extremely fussy about in writing. No injury goes unresearched, especially major ones, and I spend more time reading than writing as a result.
yep...but you see, writers are not doctors/surgeons or medical experts. Like when a bullet goes through your arm will break bones and make major damages to your health.

I actually feel that warning your fellow pilots about keeping an eye out for bandits coming from out of the sun is not that far fetched. I can see a flight of squadron leader reminding their fellow pilots to keep an eye out for enemy planes coming out of the sun. Sure, it's kind of obvious that you use the sun to your advantage, but sometimes obvious things can get forgotten in the heat of battle or the nervous anticipation of battle.

As far as crosshairs on targets go, the general public (to include most screenwriters and effects people) know nothing about leading your target. Most people think that, with any type of gun, that if you lay the center of the crosshairs that's where you're going to hit. They don't understand things like leading a moving target because by the time your bullet arrives there your target won't be. They also don't understand how a zero works and they assume that no matter the distance to your target, you just simply center your crosshairs on it and you'll hit. They don't know that the center of the crosshairs is set of a particular distance and if the target is further or closer than what your scope or sights were set at, you're going to have to aim higher or lower in order to hit your target.
Exactly my opinion. Movies aren’t imitations of reality, they’re imitations of our perception of reality. Often, sacrifices of “accuracy” have to be made in order to convey an idea to an audience that is almost entirely comprised of people not in the know. That doesn’t excuse old, tired tropes or a severe lack of research, but sometimes it just comes down to what the audience will get right away. I just had a conversation a few weeks ago with a friend about The Last Crusade, and he brought up Indy checking his revolver and not having any shells in the chamber. If he had fired them, the shells would still be in the chamber, and if it were empty (like it was), he should have known he didn’t load it earlier. But the point of the shot was to quickly communicate to the audience “he’s out”, not give them a lesson on shell-ejection.

Yeah I know it's for the ignorant audience, but a piece of me dies every time I see something stupid like that! :lol:

Another thing that bugs me is when they show paratroopers or specops soldiers jumping out of a plane. They will have a few jump then a couple others will sit there at the door/ramp and have a whole dialogue before they jump. Well I hate to tell you guys, but you're now probably miles away from your drop zone and the rest of your team. I saw one movie the other day where they kicked their Zodiac out and then their equipment packs and then sat there for a minute to have discussion...

Another thing that bugs me is when they show paratroopers or specops soldiers jumping out of a plane. They will have a few jump then a couple others will sit there at the door/ramp and have a whole dialogue before they jump. Well I hate to tell you guys, but you're now probably miles away from your drop zone and the rest of your team. I saw one movie the other day where they kicked their Zodiac out and then their equipment packs and then sat there for a minute to have discussion...
I don't even notice it anymore, it happens in movie so often. You can't talk in any aircraft doing that anyway, except on comms and even then your voice is going to hard to understand. All you hear is a deafening roar...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back