Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

p51

Sr Member
I can't remember which movie it was in, but as part of the plot a "hit man" used a two-liter soda bottle as a silencer/suppressor and I was surprised when the sound effect they used was pretty much what you'd expect a soda bottle silencer to sound like--not much quieter than a normal gunshot, and certainly louder than the "traditional" hiss/whistle silencer sound effect.
I've seen that used. It works to a degree but yeah, it doesn't quiet it down as much as the movies would lead you to think. You can only get a couple of shots out of it as well.

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Riceball

Master Member
Guns with integral suppressors are the exception to the rule that suppressed weapons aren't actually Hollywood quiet. Even then, for a suppressed weapon to be as quiet as shown in the videos, they have to be firing subsonic ammunition. Part of the noise a gun makes when firing is from the primer setting off the gunpowder in the cartridge, the other part is the sonic boom of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. The suppressor works on the first part, the cartridge going off, but it doesn't do anything for the second part, the sonic boom, that's where subsonic ammunition comes into play.

dascoyne

Master Member
HK MP5SD does a pretty impressive job reducing even supersonic 9mm to subsonic speeds. But that is a little more elaborate than your garden-variety screw-on oil filter.

And it sounds more like a benign thwack (I'm guessing is mostly the sound of the bolt) than the movie soundboard "pew pew" we all know.

p51

Sr Member
I've shot several suppressed weapons, including QD, screw on and factory made (including an OSS M3 submachine gun). I promise you, none of them make the sound of just the action. Yes, I mean the Delisle as well.
Sure, they're all much quieter than a standard firearm in the same class, but I can assure you all that none make a sound you cannot hear outside of a room.

p51

Sr Member
Here's one:
Something loud happens and all you hear is a tinnitus ringing which slowly builds back to normal sound, with horrific images in the meantime.

Treadwell

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Here's one:
Something loud happens and all you hear is a tinnitus ringing which slowly builds back to normal sound, with horrific images in the meantime.

MAWP...

cAZUEEm.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.