Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I don't have a practiced eye towards weaponry, the only thing that bother me a bit was the mocked up Tiger tanks looking out of proportion. I am sure someone will call out what chassis was used for it, but they did make a good attempt to show German armor...
Those were T-34s, previously mockup up for another movie and already on hand in Yugoslavia when the production company came along. Quite frankly, they were the best mocked up German tanks seen in any movie for decades. Most armor nuts concede that at least they tried and didn't use stock T-34s or modern tanks for German ones.

The scene which stands out in my memory is when they are playing tag with those tanks in the city streets. Odd Ball comes up behind one of the the Tigers when it is a anrrow alley and it cannot rotate the turret- it can just turn it from side to side as the walls/buildings block th emotion. (it is when they shoot a paintball at it first) the turrent looks almost as wide as the tank in that scene...

Yeah, the turrets are too big for a T-34 hull and too far forward. Same issue with the "Saving Private Ryan" ones, they did the same thing. Oddly, a T-55 conversion was suggested and shot down. That would have made for a far better looking Tiger, as that hull would be quite close in size and the turret ring is about dead center on the hull as a MKVI's one was.
In recent years, there have been a few Tiger and Panther conversions from T-55s, and they look decent (though not perfect, still better than the T-34 ones).
2703278603_f8f842fd20_z.jpg

There was a complete "from the ground up" Tiger tank made for a Russian movie but it was never used. Photos of it are online, but facts are sketchy about whatever happened to it.
post-71062-1329741976.jpg

"Fury" used the only real running Tiger, and also a full mockup mounted on a postwar Brit APC chassis (the mockup was for sale at the "War and Peace" show the following summer). That movie was very well done for the 'stuff,' but the plot was a little... odd. Some vets (correctly) took exception of the depiction of shooting POWs just to make a point.
I also didn't like how Brad Pitt's character had to have all the odd stuff, like a pre-war tanker jacket and boots, a .45 caliber revolver (all very rare for 1945) and Russian goggles. :rolleyes:
The costume guy is a well-known chrome-plated ******* out of England, though.

Last edited:
I also didn't like how Brad Pitt's character had to have all the odd stuff, like a pre-war tanker jacket and boots, a .45 caliber revolver (all very rare for 1945) and Russian goggles. :rolleyes:
Rule seems to be that if he looks cool with it then it will be used. 'Ad Astra' had him crying in zero gravity even though it was so wrong and they knew it. They went that way solely because he looked so good doing it- yet another complaint about stuff seen in movies. An actor looks good doing something which they include for no other reason than that.

Thunder

We had a massive storm system come through our area last night and so I got to hear a LOT of thunder. It is amazing how different it really sounds compared to what you hear on TV or in a film. It rolls around and changes pitch/volume unless it is right on top of your location. I think about the only movie that comes to mind that seemed to get it right was the original 'Poltergeist' when the boy is worried about the approaching storm and is taught to count the seconds between the flashes and sound to find out how close it is.
This was probably done correctly as it is a plot point in that film, but in real life the lightning is all over the area and each sounds different according to where it is. On screen it seems that even though it is at a distance, every thunder is the sudden sharp crack associated with close proximity.

It was one thing they did right in Attack of The Clones. You saw the lightning and later heard the thunder. Usually in any movie or tv show the lightning flash and the thunder are at the same time.

So true. I grew up in North Florida, which has more lightning than almost anywhere on earth. Every storm we had came with it. Movies hardly ever get it right. They also never have the people reacting to the lighting or the thunder at all.

They also never have the people reacting to the lighting or the thunder at all.

That's easy to explain, it's because that, in most cases, all of it was added in post and the director didn't bother telling the cast when the thunder and lightning was happening during filming.

Yeah, the turrets are too big for a T-34 hull and too far forward. Same issue with the "Saving Private Ryan" ones, they did the same thing. Oddly, a T-55 conversion was suggested and shot down. That would have made for a far better looking Tiger, as that hull would be quite close in size and the turret ring is about dead center on the hull as a MKVI's one was.
In recent years, there have been a few Tiger and Panther conversions from T-55s, and they look decent (though not perfect, still better than the T-34 ones).
View attachment 1253985
There was a complete "from the ground up" Tiger tank made for a Russian movie but it was never used. Photos of it are online, but facts are sketchy about whatever happened to it.
View attachment 1253986
"Fury" used the only real running Tiger, and also a full mockup mounted on a postwar Brit APC chassis (the mockup was for sale at the "War and Peace" show the following summer). That movie was very well done for the 'stuff,' but the plot was a little... odd. Some vets (correctly) took exception of the depiction of shooting POWs just to make a point.
The costume guy is a well-known chrome-plated ******* out of England, though.
The other tell is the lack of overlapping road wheels, something that German tanks from the Panther were known for. They were a feature that was designed to help reduce the overall ground pressure produced by their tanks and while it did work, it also made maintenance and the replacement of inner road wheels a serious pain. It also proved to be an issue in Russia during Barbarossa when mud that caught up in the road wheels would freeze overnight forcing the tank's crew to thaw out the mud before moving.

How about the mechanic guy who can fix anything, in mere seconds. Never mind he's never even heard of whatever you just handed over, boom, it's fixed and functional almost as fast as anyone else would be trying to figure out how to even get to the broken part(s).
At least in the old Star Trek, Scotty often had problems with stuff, things broke down once he'd fixed them and he'd address the times he was to handle something he'd never seen before. You never saw that much after that.
high school/college nerds in movies and TV can fix anything electronic and hack into (and completely take over) any computer, audio, or video system. Also they are master level experts at video editing, graphic design, coding, and welding. But they cannot change a tire. And they play lots of video games, but are terrible at them and almost always get beat if they go up against someone whose last gaming experience was super Mario brothers in the arcade.

People who don't have to worry about the law at all and do literally anything they want (up to destruction of property and murder).
My wife likes the "Yellowstone" series and while I like it somewhat, I can't get past the fact this family can do anything and there's never any legal ramifications for anyone.
Sure, back in the day, there were places where people (rednecks in the deep south and organized crime in the northeast) could get away with a lot, but those day are pretty much over anywhere. Hey, the local sheriff is on the take? Call the feds! Everyone knows this...

A character on the run happens to run across a total stranger that just happens to have the exact skill set needed to resolve the situation.
Example that comes first to mind- 'The Fifth Element'.
Leeloo literally falls into a taxi cab owned by Korben Dallas, who just happens to not only know how to use fantastic flying abilities to help her escape, but has extensive military training to enable her to complete her mission.

This sort of pattern though seems to be very common from action adventure movies to romantic comedies...

Having a squad of soldiers in a movie, say Starship Troopers Invasion, and you have the "Kung Fu guy". In this case, this genius drops his rifle and tries to use Kung Fu on an Arachnid and is insta-killed. It's so overdone they need to stop.

Having a squad of soldiers in a movie, say Starship Troopers Invasion, and you have the "Kung Fu guy". In this case, this genius drops his rifle and tries to use Kung Fu on an Arachnid and is insta-killed. It's so overdone they need to stop.
Funny you'd mention this. One of my soldiers when I was active duty was in Desert Storm, and he said they were clearing what seemed to be an abandoned trench line, so they could set up for the night. Some Iraqi solider came out with an AK, gave a few US soldiers the "mano e mano" look, tossed his AK, pulled out a knife and gestured for them to come get him.
The soldiers just stood there, gave each other a "is he serious?" look, and the squad leader slung his M-16.
Then, he pulled out a M-9 pistol he also carried, and capped the Iraqi three or four times, center of mass. He then turned to the rest and said, "I'd always wanted to claim a kill with a sidearm but I never thought I'd get the chance. What a chump," then they all walked away to leave the dead guy to the buzzards...

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back