Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Why, it's almost as if the movies are written by people who've never shot guns...

Books are no better. I read loads of murder mysteries new and old and have encountered numerous mistakes. I guess the mindset is that it's such a small detail that it's not worth worrying over. Who knows. The editors are just as much to blame as they're supposed to check those things.

I suppose I have to ask, taking into account every single thing mentioned in this thread so far, if a movie was made ensuring that these points were addressed, wouldn't that be a tremendously boring film? I mean sure they would be more realistic in many ways but Big Man Arnie for instance would make a pretty poor Commando without his millions of magic rounds when rescuing his daughter, I mean without them surely poor Jenny would never have made it to the Chooper.

But in all seriousness there a loads of things that annoy me in films but the majority I just put up with cause they will never go away lol :D

I suppose I have to ask, taking into account every single thing mentioned in this thread so far, if a movie was made ensuring that these points were addressed, wouldn't that be a tremendously boring film? I mean sure they would be more realistic in many ways but Big Man Arnie for instance would make a pretty poor Commando without his millions of magic rounds when rescuing his daughter, I mean without them surely poor Jenny would never have made it to the Chooper.

But in all seriousness there a loads of things that annoy me in films but the majority I just put up with cause they will never go away lol :D

Couldn't agree more. Movies often demonstrate the fantasy realm where the impossible becomes possible. If they removed that from film we'd just be left with reality. I get enough reality everyday as it is. When I watch a movie it is so I can escape reality for a bit.

Not necessarily. In some cases it would create much more tension as in taking time to reload while the bad guys are closing in

If anything some of the over the top physics and action sequences just take me right out of the movie at times. I can accept a certain level of liberties taken, but at a point it just becomes laughable with some of the stunts done.

Most of it depends on the movie. A serious movie like Gravity I am going to be much more mindful of things that are out of whack, but a fantasy movie like the hobbit I'll be a lot more forgiving and willing to suspend disbelief except for the truly outlandish (like riding a shield down a river of molten gold and somehow the gold never quite starts to solidify or the character fails to get burnt in any way)

Very possibly, in "some" case I agree it could work, but IMO I'm thinking more so...not so much lol, I agree with what your saying though certain films deserve more scrutiny where as others you pretty much gotta role with the punches ;)

Not necessarily. In some cases it would create much more tension as in taking time to reload while the bad guys are closing in

If anything some of the over the top physics and action sequences just take me right out of the movie at times. I can accept a certain level of liberties taken, but at a point it just becomes laughable with some of the stunts done.

Most of it depends on the movie. A serious movie like Gravity I am going to be much more mindful of things that are out of whack, but a fantasy movie like the hobbit I'll be a lot more forgiving and willing to suspend disbelief except for the truly outlandish (like riding a shield down a river of molten gold and somehow the gold never quite starts to solidify or the character fails to get burnt in any way)

The way I see it, there's a difference between willing suspension of disbelief, and complete disregard for believability. The context matters here, too. Films set in the "real world" (e.g. cop movies) will have a more difficult time taking liberties with things like physics and other issues of believability. Films set in the far future or a fantasy setting can always appeal to "Well, it's not this world," or "Well they have magic/high tech stuff." For example, I don't really care that you can hear the ships fly as they dogfight in Star Wars, nor do I care that the pilots are basically dressed as if they were flying in an airplane, rather than in sealed suits suitable for ejection into the vacuum of space. Whatever, it's ok, it's entertaining, and maybe they've got some fantasy-sci-fi thing to protect them.

But some stuff just starts to get stupid, even in such a film. Different people have different thresholds, but for me, there's a point where the action sequence transitions from "exciting" to "ludicrous." Typically, this happens when the goal is purely to create some exciting sequence, without any attempt to ground it or have it make sense or provide context for it. Case in point: the jaegers punching the kaiju in Pacific Rim, and only forming a sword LATER in the fight. They never provide a context for it or explain why they're fighting that way. They don't say that their tactics and designs were oriented around less durable kaiju, or that the sword is a one-use emergency weapon, or whatever. They just form the sword after almost getting blown up, and while it's exciting on the one hand, it leaves you saying "Wait, WTF?! Why didn't they do that earlier?!"

Other stuff just makes the movie flat-out stupid. Many of the CGI/wire-enhanced stunts in Live Free or Die Hard were just....stupid. He hit a woman with a car, who then got up and fought him in a fistfight. FALSE. YOU ARE DYING OF INTERNAL BLEEDING IF YOU ARE NOT KILLED OUTRIGHT BY THE INITIAL IMPACT. Some other guy jumped from a helicopter hovering 30' up and landed without a scratch. FALSE. YOU HAVE SHATTERED BONES AND TORN LIGAMENTS IN YOUR LEGS. Those are my reactions when I see that kind of stuff. It goes well beyond suspension of disbelief. I can accept that a tough, NYC cop is able to continue fighting even though, over the course of the film, he's strained himself beyond the breaking point of any actual human being. But you gotta dole that out to me over the course of the film. But when Maggie Q gets hit by a car and survives? No, sorry, that breaks reality.

See, films strike an unspoken bargain with us when we watch them. They promise to entertain us, but they promise to do so by telling a story that is at least operating on an internally consistent basis. The world must, within its in-film context, be believable. Which means you can't tell me one set of rules and then change them mid-film. Like, you can't tell me "This is the real world" and then FLAGRANTLY violate the laws of physics. I mean, if the hero gets shot in the head, but shrugs it off and keeps going, you'd better damn well explain why and how. Are his bones coated with adamantium and he has a healing factor? Is he made of liquid metal? Is this a video-game simulation world that he's learned to hack? You have to provide context.

Too many films ignore the contextual rule-breaking and assume "It's just a movie" is enough to get by on the fact that a 7-round pistol somehow has 49 rounds in it, and that the hero can still lift his arm and aim perfectly even though he got shot in the deltoid.

Anyone in the military would feel these:
  • On a military base, you see groups of soliders all doing different types of tasks, all in the same time in in close proximity. generally, most soldiers are doing the same kinds of things at the same time. You'd NEVER find on squad doing PT, another doing close order drill (heck, nobody does that after basic/AIT unless they're pracitcing for a change of command ceremony or something like that) and other doing a totally different thing, all within sight of each other. This whole, "slice of life" thing in the movies drives me nuts.
  • Every USAF officer is not only command pilot, but a command missileer as well. I doubt there have been maybe dozen who earned both badges in the entire history of the Air Force. Also, every Army officer always has to have a Ranger tab. Those are pretty rare, too but in all fairness, many Generals got that far because of having on helped their career.
Speaking of explosives: setting off C4 by shooting it or putting it in a microwave. I don't know about shooting the detonator but the stuff is just too stable otherwise. Though shooting tnt might set it off, especially if it's old.
Actually, you can light C4 and it burns really good. I've heated stuff with C4 fires before. But you darned sure don't want to stamp that fire out!
Yeah, if C4 is being heated it gets pretty unstable. So if you were nuking a block in a microwave, I think if you somehow impacted it at the same time, it just might go off.

I'm sure Mythbusters did an episode involving setting off C4 by other means, if I remember rightly the only way was by detonator....I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure lol :unsure

I'm sure Mythbusters did an episode involving setting off C4 by other means, if I remember rightly the only way was by detonator....I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure lol :unsure

They tried it in a microwave and it didn't go off. I remember that much.

Never said a microwave alone would set it off, you'd need another shock to it, but high heat does render it far more unstable.
I do know for absolute certain that if you set C4 on fire and then smack with a hammer, it will go off. I've seen that happen personally.

I'm tied of farts and so-called bathroom humor to get a laugh which is way over done in some movies.....never did find it funny.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back