Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I can't think of an example from a movie, though I know they're out there...

But last night I was playing Star Wars The Old Republic, and in it is the character Darth Revan... which is a TOTALLY over-the-top cool character. And I realized that I don't care for characters who are made specifically to be 100% awesome and display no downside or flaws. It just feels like they're trying too hard. But here is Darth Revan who has mastered the light side, the dark side, is like 50% mandalorian 50% sith and 50% jedi. C'mon, seriously? It's just too much.

Another gun thing that bugs me to a certain degree is when the hero picks up a gun from a goon that they've dispatched then proceeds to take out more goons one by one or in small groups of 2 - 3 but at no time after taking out more goons does our hero bother to search the fallen goons for more magazines/ammo for their weapon. What's worse is when they grab the gun initially, they pretty much always just grab the gun but you never see them check for more magazines, it's as if all henchmen/guards only carry a single magazine in their and no spares. The worst offender of this are the heroes on Revolution where spare mags and ammunition for fully automatic weapons have got be practically worth their weight in gold yet you never see them take the time to look for any spare mags on anybody they take out. Of course during the first season or two they almost never seem to grab the weapons off any Monroe troops they take out either preferring to stick to crossbows and swords.

I've been watching a lot of the newer crop of ghost movies (Insidious, The Conjuring, etc.,) and no one ever turns a light on when they enter a suspicious room. Someone is home alone and they hear something moving, falling over, a door shut, etc., so they go to a dark room and just walk in without flipping the light switch so they can see what the hell is making the sound. They continue to do it even after a series of unexplainable events occurred and they're now scared out of their minds. Pretty dumb.

Last edited:
Another former soldier observation:
In hardly any sci-fi movie ever, do any soldiers carry any extra gear at all. They NEVER carry canteens or apparently any extra ammo. Look at any photo of any soldier in hsitory, they're usually loaded down with extra gear and their pockets are always filled. That NEVER happens in sci-fi...

Eddie Murphy and Robin Williams in family friendly movies, seriously they're not really meant to be in non R rated movies. Let's not forget that crybaby jim carrey.

Hero rendered unconscious by visible fumes in garage with car running who is rescued and taken outside where the fresh air revives them, cough once or twice, and then take off after the bad guy. Carbon monoxide poisoning is not something shrugged off with a cough or two. CO binds to the hemoglobin in the blood rendering it unable to take up oxygen. HbCO is relatively stable and so takes a fair amount of time to return to normal. If CO renders you unconscious you are in serious trouble!

"Tough guy action star has to raise a kid or do (HA!) non-tough things, because, hey, tough guy (HA!)"
(The Pacifier, Tooth Fairy, The Game Plan, The Spy Next Door, et al)

That's what she said! ;)
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Actually what I meant was something else. I don't know if there's a name for it but there's this three line structure that pervades every sitcom where there's a setup line, straight line then punch line.

For example:

Charlie: Okay, Mom, I guess I'll see you at the wedding.
Evelyn: Charlie, the wedding is not for six months.
Charlie: Yeah, but it's bad luck to see the bride beforehand.

It's a sitcom staple but when a script is rife with these it gets painful.

Badum-ching!

That loud foghorn ~Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaa sound that's now in every sci-fi/action movie.
A huge descending base hit that accompanies some action scene (usually in slow-mo) so you know that the s*** just got real.

When characters go into a restaurant and order food/drink, have a brief conversation, eat nothing, pay with a wad of cash they didn't count and then leave. Why does everyone have the exact right amount of money crumpled up in their pocket?!

When characters go into a restaurant and order food/drink, have a brief conversation, eat nothing, pay with a wad of cash they didn't count and then leave. Why does everyone have the exact right amount of money crumpled up in their pocket?!

For that matter, why do they waste so much food? Don't they know that there are starving children in the world? WON'T YOU THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!?!?!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back