Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Scenes with a couple in bed where the woman is holding the sheet up to cover her chest. Hollywood is terrified of breasts. Breasts are evil, and will mug you in the street at any opportunity.

This is the flipside to what it was like in the 70s/80s when you almost always saw the lead actress' goodies even if you didn't want to. It truly was gratuitous and spawned a rebellion where actresses simply began refusing to do it. Surprisingly, Jamie Leigh Curtis, who had shown off plenty in films, was among the leaders of the anti-nudity charge. Now you rarely see a name actress in the buff; it's almost shocking when you do. Recently saw Danny Boyle's Trance on disc and Rosario Dawson has some serious nude scenes. Very surprising.

Also, on the subject of both movie scores and Haywire, what the hell is up with the 70's jazz score in that flick? It's like watching an old episode of Starsky & Hutch.

You shut your mouth when you're talking to me! That's David Holmes, Soderbergh's go-to soundtrack guy. I like the Haywire soundtrack but I think that sort of funky sound was better for Out of Sight, another personal favorite.

Suspension of disbelief; I hate that crap:facepalm Since when movies were "real"? :rolleyes
the point isn't about movies having absolute authenticity.

There are times a film takes so many liberties with reality so as to confound a viewer's ability to suspend disbelief.

Where that limit lies is viewer dependent and, yes, everyone has a limit unless they're blessed enough to be completely naive.

Scenes with a couple in bed where the woman is holding the sheet up to cover her chest. Hollywood is terrified of breasts. Breasts are evil, and will mug you in the street at any opportunity.

That's why all women in movies whose hearts stop have the defibrillator used on top of their clothing, which would never work. I watched a show the other day where they did it with her bra on, which god help her better not have an underwire in it or she's in for a nasty burn.

The stupidity of U.S. censorship is ludicrous. I mentioned this before, but I watched an episode of How It's Made where they were making mannequins. They blurred out the nipples... on a mannequin. Yet it's okay to show topless women in Africa because "They don't know any better."
2VQZoOM.gif

That's why all women in movies whose hearts stop have the defibrillator used on top of their clothing, which would never work. I watched a show the other day where they did it with her bra on, which god help her better not have an underwire in it or she's in for a nasty burn.

Which neatly leads us into another one! Defibrillators are not used on flatliners! Someone who has already flatlined (asystole) cannot be helped by electrical means, and usually needs urgent CPR and intravenous medication. And they don't fly up in the air when shocked, either.

Which neatly leads us into another one! Defibrillators are not used on flatliners! Someone who has already flatlined (asystole) cannot be helped by electrical means, and usually needs urgent CPR and intravenous medication. And they don't fly up in the air when shocked, either.
Well, it's also odd how quickly patients go from sinus rhythm to pure flatline. In reality you're going to go through VTach/ Vfib arrest. Even when asystolic you typically have some residual electrical activity but true flatline isn't typical unless someone's pulled off the leads.

And isn't it funny how Hollywood ACLS is about 90% effective when IRL it's around 6%?

Bulletproof drywall, car doors, and garbage cans. I'm always screaming in my head, "Shoot through the wall!"

Horrible computer screens. It was acceptable in the 80's when people were used to Commodor 64's or Apple 2's, but most people use computers at work or at home now.
UserFriendly Strip Comments
uf002622.gif

The Wilhelm scream.

It was already mentioned in the second post of this thread, but the fact that it immediately takes me out of any movie when I hear it... it needed to be mentioned again.

Person or groups of people with rifles, shotguns or pistols walking into a situation, guns at the ready…
A sound is heard…
Everyone runs the slide on their pistol, racks their shotgun or charges their rifle!

What! No one was ready!

Remind me to walk at the back of that crowd. Maybe by the time the first few at the front are lost I'll have a round in the chamber!

This can't be blamed entirely on Hollywood mentality, censorship, or even the MPAA--a lot of actresses have "no nudity" clauses in their contracts. Within the context of most of these scenes--they just had sex, and now she's shy about her body?--it does seem rather silly, but it is what it is.

Back to the main topic, I have to agree with previous comments about contemporary/modern music in period/historical movies. Last night I watched Lizzie Borden Took an Axe, a made-for-TV movie on Lifetime. The movie itself was well acted, but was otherwise another unremarkable retelling of the murders of Andrew and Abby Borden on August 4, 1892. The soundtrack was populated by electric guitar riffs that were not only obviously anachronistic, but completely inappropriate for most of the scenes in which they were used. Funeral procession taking the bodies to the cemetery? Cue electric guitar riff. Hauling Lizzie Borden off to jail? Cue electric guitar riff. :facepalm

Dialogue needs to be decent but it can also be overdone.

Overly-witty dialogue is a parlor trick. Just like special effects, gore, nudity, language, violence, celebrities, etc. It does not make a bad movie into a good one. Too much is ear candy. It hurts the realism even though the audience may be enjoying it at the time.

---

Last edited:
The fact that what little orchestral music is in movies these days is crap. What happened to the amazing grand scores we had even into the 80s? It's no wonder composers keep showing up in the game industry when the movie industry wants rap and nickel-back clones.

Non Original endings. Wouldn't be nice to have an ending that we didn't know was coming in like the first 5 minutes? Anyone ever seen Primal Fear with Ed Norton and Richard Gere? Didn't see that one coming.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back