Things you're tired of seeing in movies

I can't stand the obvious use of green screen when it is unnecessary (like a city street background or the inside of a mall).

I hate the fake phone number thing (555)

I hate chase/action scenes that look like obvious levels in a corresponding franchise video game

I hate that a story about normal everyday people look like friggin models

I'm tired of one girl surviving an entire horror movie ordeal; Evil Dead being one that infuriated me to no end. I have yet to see a male survive a horror movie since Army of Darkness. Mia should have died; because with her back story I was not convinced she was powerful enough to overcome whatever demon was in that movie and her brother should have lived because he was the only competent character in the entire film. I have an incredible amount of problems with this cliche, especially how other cliches were lazily applied in Evil Dead. It's not a ground breaking idea anymore for against all odds- the female (pure or not) to survive. It's the end of every horror movie now if someone walks away and not everyone is wiped out.

Cameos or nods take me out of a movie; Evil Dead being one that abused this. Maybe do your own thing and it will have it's own merit instead of piggyback the work of others to nod to the weaker film watcher? Hey, If you ARE going to piggyback, maybe not distract fans of the franchise by using the wrong model chainsaw? I couldnt tell you what happened in the movie for a few minutes after seeing that.

The NEED for actors to appear in a film that has nothing to do with them; Bruce Campbell at the end of Evil Dead. Stan Lee (maybe I'll watch GOTG).

Hack directors getting films they should have no part of doing.

The nonsense of making it part of a series continuity; making it a reboot; making it an unrelated reboot; flip flopping around and then throwing in something from the movie it was not supposed to be related to. Perfect example: Bruce Campbell at the end of the credits in Evil Dead. What was that? First Class had everything going for it before they made it a part of Singer's X movies; and now he's involved with DOFP? No thanks. Mad Max Fury Road? Just make up my mind already(and dont put Mel Gibson in it just because).

Wanting a reboot/sequel to be "Darker" or "Grittier" than it's original. Why?

Here's another annoying/old trope in movies, particularly horror type & war movies, killing off the supporting cast one by one. This has been done so many times in so many movies that you know it's going to happen before the first character is even killed. Someone needs to make a movie where most of the supporting cast either gets killed around the beginning of the movie or most survive until near the end of the movie where they get killed in 2s or 3s instead of 1 every 15 - 20 minutes.

I think we have enough material for a sequel to "Last Action Hero".

Something else I'm tired of: Having a highly trained professionals do something they know not to do or are explicitly ordered not to do. Please find some other way to advance the story. I always cringe when a scientist is told "Do not get too close to that goo over by that meteorite" because I know they are going to walk over and shove a finger or something else into that goo the first chance they get.

Actors in their mid-late 20s playing high school kids. Watched Kick Ass 2 yesterday and there was Chloe Moretz looking 15 and the other girl looking 25. Also, the high school "Queen Bee"--the uber-popular chick who is pretty, has a centerfold bod, and is rich--with her little clique of wannabees. It was fun in Heathers 25 years ago but has been done to death.

Heck, Steve McQueen played a teen in the original, "The Blob" and he was almost 30 at the time!
Also, the high school "Queen Bee"--the uber-popular chick who is pretty, has a centerfold bod, and is rich--with her little clique of wannabees. It was fun in Heathers 25 years ago but has been done to death.
Good one, I never thought of that before. In real life, high school is a series of varying size cliques, and people can only extend their influence so far. Other girls really wouldn't have a clue who the 'queen bee' is...

Another thing that bugs me in movies is how they portray intelligent animals, they always portray them as being too smart. A good example of this was Deep Blue Sea with these super intelligent mako sharks, I understand that they've been tampered with to make far more intelligent than they would normally but that doesn't mean that they'd know things outside of their experience no matter how intelligent like knowing what a video surveillance camera is, unless they happened to be in front of a a camera and are able to see themselves on a monitor at the same time they'd have no idea what a video camera much less knowing that taking them out would leave the humans in the lab essentially blind. It doesn't matter how smart a person or animal may be they still have to learn things to know things, you can be Einstein or Hawkins smart but if you never went to school or picked up a book on physics you're not going to be coming up with any of those crazy equations we always see like E=MC2 and certainly wouldn't be able to look at any of these equations and automatically understand them. In short, intelligence does not equate knowledge.

Sparking bullets.
You don't see it so much now in movies, but you used to see it all the time. Bullets don't freaking spark when they hit anything!

Has anyone else been to TV tropes .com? Best place to find film cliches, and codes and conventions. (This website saved me in Media class many many times) They have tropes on tv, books, and lots of other mediums too.

And yes, hollywood needs to stop rebooting things that dont need to be rebooted. This especially annoys me when they reboot foreign films. like "Let the right one in" (which is an awesome vampire film if you havn't already seen it), and "The girl with the dragon tattoo" I mean the films practically JUST came out, and they already get american reboots? wwwhhy?

Has anyone else been to TV tropes .com? Best place to find film cliches, and codes and conventions. (This website saved me in Media class many many times) They have tropes on tv, books, and lots of other mediums too.

And yes, hollywood needs to stop rebooting things that dont need to be rebooted. This especially annoys me when they reboot foreign films. like "Let the right one in" (which is an awesome vampire film if you havn't already seen it), and "The girl with the dragon tattoo" I mean the films practically JUST came out, and they already get american reboots? wwwhhy?

I love the TV Tropes site. I always spend too much time looking up so many tropes

Huge, GINORMOUS starships that turn on a dime in about 2 seconds.

Explosions that make no sense

Brad Pitt

Spacesuits that looks more like someone went nuts at a Star Trek convention than actual space hardware

Never-ending ammo clips

Abuse of lens-flare

Brad Pitt

Holographic displays all over the place

Women in skin-tight spandex suits ( c'mon, what ever happened to real clothing?)

Armor on robots that wouldn't stand up to a round of paper-rock-scissors (I mean YOU, Michael BayFormers!)

And of course... Brad Pitt

...And yes, hollywood needs to stop rebooting things that dont need to be rebooted. This especially annoys me when they reboot foreign films. like "Let the right one in" (which is an awesome vampire film if you havn't already seen it), and "The girl with the dragon tattoo" I mean the films practically JUST came out, and they already get american reboots? wwwhhy?
In a word, money. The American studios know a lot of Americans don't like to watch foreign movies, so they remake popular/successful foreign movies in an effort to get those extra dollars.

SFX being put before storyline. It's like video games: graphics have replaced storylines and character development.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back