They're Just Encouraging Piracy

The whole issue (ownership vs "licensing agreements") is shaping up to be a much larger battle in the culture.

US farmers recently fought a legal battle against John Deere for the right to repair their tractors. JD's modern software locks them out of the machinery and forces them to use JD's overpriced repair centers.

In the next few decades this stuff will go mainstream. Appliances that you can't legally modify. Stuff being programmed to quit working if you don't pay the ongoing "update" or "repair" ransom fees. Etc. Personal phones, computers, cars & trucks, TVs, washing machines, all of it. The public is gonna have to demand ownership rights in a big far-reaching way.
Already done on many fronts in our society. It's not only the T.Vs. phones, cars, computers, washing machines/fridges and the likes but it's the corporations that will make them obsolete remotely (like the DVD, downloads and the likes):devil:
Wait until you have EV and one morning, you cannot open your car doors because the Corp decided it was time to replace a tech component!
Welcome to a Brave New World:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Already done on many fronts in our society. It's not only the T.Vs. phones, cars, computers, washing machines/fridges and the likes but it's the corporations that will make them obsolete remotely (like the DVD, downloads and the likes):devil:
Wait until you have EV and one morning, you cannot open your car doors because the Corp decided it was time to replace a tech component!
Watch Brazil

I'm waiting for the first news story where somebody gets in their car and a Nigerian scammer demands $3k in Bitcoin to let them start it up.

There has already been a demonstration done at least once. Somebody hacked a Jeep Cherokee (remotely from a distance) and shut it down in the middle of the road.

If VUDU suddenly shuts down I’m screwed.
I also. While always knowing that my digital library could have things disappear, I’ve always felt the backlash would be huge. heck the wording even says ‘buy’ not ’license’. (But dig deep into the agreement and not so much)

BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats. All the cars will come with the components installed but you’ll have to pay per month to be able to use that feature.
Sigh.
I can see this concept pushed out about five or ten years. I don’t buy a washing machine (or maybe I do) but what really happens is I have to sign up for a per usage fee. Every load costs me x amount.

I remember when Blockbuster went under. They sent out physical copies of all digitally owned movies to their subscribers before they closed up shop.

Better yet, next time we have a plan-demic...er, excuse me, a "pandemic" and the government decides you're not allowed to leave your house and orders all vehicles to be inoperable for our 'safety'. Incidentally, this is why I'm absolutely against self-driving cars. You're sacrificing autonomy for convenience. Screw that.

Before anyone starts, I'm not denying covid was bad. I'm saying the world handled it terribly and we'll be dealing with the effects of that for a while.

Last edited:
BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats. All the cars will come with the components installed but you’ll have to pay per month to be able to use that feature.
Sigh.
I can see this concept pushed out about five or ten years. I don’t buy a washing machine (or maybe I do) but what really happens is I have to sign up for a per usage fee. Every load costs me x amount.

I've read about that one too.

If the subscription heated seats have a mechanical problem then it should be BMW's problem to fix it. If the customer is renting the "service" then it's the carmaker's problem to keep delivering it.

I wonder what the structure of the deal is. What if you splice some wires and rig up the seats to work yourself? Is that illegal? I don't see how they could pull that stunt unless you didn't own the car at all (you were leasing it).

As folks thin out their Blu-ray and DVD collections... And I get that (the room it takes up in my SCI-FI den is significant) I am reminded in a digital format only you " OWN nothing" . For these reasons I refused to move over to digital only. You are at somebody's else's whim to start deleting content.

I have a lot of subscriptions but I have lost count how many times I could not find what I wanted and simply went into my library to get what I want. It's amazing really. I have Disney, Paramount, Hulu, HBO, STARZ, Netflix yadda yadda....

Last edited:
As folks thin out their Blu-ray and DVD collections... And I get that (the room it takes up in my SCI-FI den is significant) I am reminded in a digital format only you " OWN nothing" . For these reasons I refused to move over to digital only. You are at somebody's else's whim to start deleting content.

I have a lot of subscriptions but I have lost count how many times I could not find what I wanted and simply went into my library to get what I want. It's amazing really. I have Disney, Paramount, Hulu, HBO, STARZ, Netflix yadda yadda....
I've got plenty of room for my collection. I've got room for something like 8k commercial DVD/Blu-rays and I'm not there yet. The second they stop making physical copies available, I'm just going to pirate everything. I'm perfectly happy to give them my money, I'm just not going to give them my freedom.

Like when my digital copies of Star Wars suddenly got "upgraded." Though it turns out I had downloaded them before that. Just need to figure out to get the DRM off so I'm not stuck playing them on iTunes.
If you arnt morally opposed, you could "sail the seas" to get DRM-free copies. You do own legitimate copies after all.

I've read about that one too.

If the subscription heated seats have a mechanical problem then it should be BMW's problem to fix it. If the customer is renting the "service" then it's the carmaker's problem to keep delivering it.

I wonder what the structure of the deal is. What if you splice some wires and rig up the seats to work yourself? Is that illegal? I don't see how they could pull that stunt unless you didn't own the car at all (you were leasing it).
To be fair, we are probably moving more toward a world where owning cars is for the rich or the hardcore fans. Car companies are working on mobility as a service for a while and MaaS is shown to be a good alternative to get people to the places they need to be while reducing carbon emissions which is important to combat climate change. Self-driving cars and car sharing/ride-sharing will also help contribute to the end goal of fewer cars on the road. MaaS is also a "subscription service" unfortunately so they get our money there.

I'm waiting for the first news story where somebody gets in their car and a Nigerian scammer demands $3k in Bitcoin to let them start it up.

There has already been a demonstration done at least once. Somebody hacked a Jeep Cherokee (remotely from a distance) and shut it down in the middle of the road.
Also why Im not a fan of "smart" appliances and the "smart" home. Even security experts say its going to be a security nightmare to have everything connected with hackers being able to remotely connect to lights or unlock doors.

Although the idea of a home controlled by your voice and presence is incredibly cool, some sci-fi ideas dont do well in real life.

I also. While always knowing that my digital library could have things disappear, I’ve always felt the backlash would be huge. heck the wording even says ‘buy’ not ’license’. (But dig deep into the agreement and not so much)

Sigh.
456323F9-4856-48A1-8358-8D6133CCC44A.jpeg

Sigh.
Again; The Great Reset is there (you don't own anything) and it's up to the consumers to stand-up and kill these practices in the egg!:devil:

There was a guy in CA that had missed 2 payments on his Tesla and the car drove itself back to the factory.Everything said in the car and everywhere you go is being recorded by the Tesla car.Spooky ***** if you ask me.

Better yet, next time we have a plan-demic...er, excuse me, a "pandemic" and the government decides you're not allowed to leave your house and orders all vehicles to be inoperable for our 'safety'. Incidentally, this is why I'm absolutely against self-driving cars. You're sacrificing autonomy for convenience. Screw that.

Before anyone starts, I'm not denying covid was bad. I'm saying the world handled it terribly and we'll be dealing with the effects of that for a while.
Or the elites decide no one should drive on Monday’s so they flip a switch to the grid and no EV’s drive that day,or watch a movie through streaming etc..
The “pandemic” was handled to give more power to the ruling class and less to the working class.Everything is going according to plan.

Theoretically, the ability exists to remotely lock my Dodge Challenger, but after months of trying to get the remote start subscription working, I discovered that the software and system are way too crappy to actually function, so I'm safe from that at least.

Or the elites decide no one should drive on Monday’s so they flip a switch to the grid and no EV’s drive that day,or watch a movie through streaming etc..
The “pandemic” was handled to give more power to the ruling class and less to the working class.Everything is going according to plan.
Yea the normies and sheeple will need to apologize, to us the wearers of the tinfoil soon. Oh wait they won't be around to apologize.

Yea the normies and sheeple will need to apologize, to us the wearers of the tinfoil soon. Oh wait they won't be around to apologize.
No need to apologize to us.Once the generation born before 1980 die off,the last generation that knew freedom will no longer exist.The new generation are...
At least they could reimburse us for the good heavy duty aluminum foil.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back