They're Just Encouraging Piracy

When laser disc were a craze, I remember hearing about "disc rot," where they would simply go bad with time.

Anyone remember watching Empire Strikes Back, over and over, watching a TIE fighter get hit by an asteroid and seeing what looked like a pilot tumble out?

I hope CD, DVDs and Blu-ray don't have a shelf life.

I prefer owning a physical copy of anything, that way you can watch it anytime, never hafta worry about a buffer.
Anything technically has a shelf life, but cds and dvds its really long. Bought from the store and professionally made, not sure, but its pretty long, burnt at home, since it uses a little different technique, I heard around 100 years if it just sits and hasnt gotten all scratched up. So thats a pretty good life, if it ends up being true.

I have purchased more and more on digital downloads recently. Some of the classic Doctor Who episodes, the current Doctor Who series. The Looney Tunes show seasons one and two. The Orville seasons one and two. When you can buy an entire season for $5 or $10 it’s kind of hard to pass it up. But now y’all got me scared!

Last edited:
I hope CD, DVDs and Blu-ray don't have a shelf life.
Everything has a shelf-life but DVDs and Blu-ray will last longer than I will so I don't care.

In the last 4 years I purchased 2 old-school CD players and I have 2 blu-ray players -- still in the box.
If When the industry will want to phase-out copies of what they own, they'll do so by getting rid of the devices that allow you to enjoy those copies.

"You'll own nothing but you'll be happy" seems to be the catch phrase of "The Great Reset"o_O:eek::devil:
The consumer has way more power than we think...it's just that the "work" involved will take time and effort to see any kind of result:rolleyes:
I only buy physical copies of films and books..."This is the way!"

Within my immediate surroundings, I brought that up about a year and a half ago - after it was briefly denied by the media. It further solidified my growing reputation as a consp!racy theor!st.

Then I showed them the actual page of The Great Reset on the WEF website. They chuckled.
Like Mark Twain [supposedly] said: "It is easier to fool someone than to convince someone they've been fooled."

The Great Reset is well underway, and only actions well outside anyone's comfort zone will stop it.

"The consumer has way more power than we think" reminded me of this little illustration :)

only-politicians-know-the-true-power-of-public-funny-political-pictures.jpg

Anything technically has a shelf life, but cds and dvds its really long. Bought from the store and professionally made, not sure, but its pretty long, burnt at home, since it uses a little different technique, I heard around 100 years if it just sits and hasnt gotten all scratched up. So thats a pretty good life, if it ends up being true.
Didn't CDs used to be much sturdier when they first came out? I feel like they are designed to be eaasily damaged. Also, I'd much rather buy a Steel Book USB Stick of Alita: Battleangel than a DVD with a digital copy that can only be played through their player.

And I realize some of this is the Starship Troopers phenomenon, where everyone owns a copy, but when was the last time you actually put it in a machine to view?

In the last 4 years I purchased 2 old-school CD players and I have 2 blu-ray players -- still in the box.
If When the industry will want to phase-out copies of what they own, they'll do so by getting rid of the devices that allow you to enjoy those copies.

Within my immediate surroundings, I brought that up about a year and a half ago - after it was briefly denied by the media. It further solidified my growing reputation as a consp!racy theor!st.

Then I showed them the actual page of The Great Reset on the WEF website. They chuckled.
Like Mark Twain [supposedly] said: "It is easier to fool someone than to convince someone they've been fooled."

The Great Reset is well underway, and only actions well outside anyone's comfort zone will stop it.

"The consumer has way more power than we think" reminded me of this little illustration :)

View attachment 1621299

Nothing beats Days of Future Past on 8 track.

Okay, actually, ALOT of things do, but I also remember listening to the radio with a cassette tape on record/pause waiting to record the seven minute version of Live is Like Oxygen.

The new watermark doesnt seem to care about lost sales. When I remind people of a movie that did 40% under predicted, there is always EDIT : those who think the 60% makes it a success!

Last edited:
One thing I don’t like is when some movies make you use a specific streaming service for the digital download.

I bought into the spider-Verse (Awesome movie)

I got the DVD and it came with a digital download. ONLY through Vudu!

It is the only movie I have on that service.

I mostly download to Amazon when I have options between that and Google play.

Didn't CDs used to be much sturdier when they first came out? I feel like they are designed to be eaasily damaged. Also, I'd much rather buy a Steel Book USB Stick of Alita: Battleangel than a DVD with a digital copy that can only be played through their player.

And I realize some of this is the Starship Troopers phenomenon, where everyone owns a copy, but when was the last time you actually put it in a machine to view?
As for CDs being more study, not sure but I wouldn't be surprised. My last audio cd I bought was Daft Punks album in 2005.

Heres a small paragraph from Wikipedia.

Replication differs from duplication (i.e. burning used for CD-Rs and CD-RWs) as the pits and lands of a replicated CD are moulded into a CD blank, rather than being burn marks in a dye layer (in CD-Rs) or areas with changed physical characteristics (in CD-RWs). In addition, CD burners write data sequentially, while a CD pressing plant forms the entire disk in one physical stamping operation, similar to record pressing.

I'm not worried. Back in the day, everyone in the house had their own big TV and Blu-ray player, but now that people have moved out, I've got tons of them sitting around. Right now, I've got 2 55" LED TVs just sitting in the garage, back in their original boxes, plus a 46" just sitting in the living room gathering dust. My youngest daughter supposedly wants it but if she doesn't take it... it goes into storage. I have Blu-ray players galore. My physical collection will be playing for a very, very, very long time and even if they stop issuing physical media, I'll just burn it to disc on my own.

All the time. Right now, I'm watching through the entire catalog of Abbott and Costello movies. Just watched Who Done It? from 1942.

Has anyone read the Terms Of Service about digital media rentals and purchases? The music industry is the all around go to for what not to do. Hindsight is always 20/20 but it's a classic case of old meets new mentality exposing how out of date and against progress for personal gain people are when profits are in question. The film industry has been following the same path for many years now. To date nobody knows an end game with digital media. The purchase itself is digital. We will look back in 20 years and hindsight again will be 20/20.
If I have to guess some large corporations will have to fold for the old mentaliy to catch up with current times.

Has anyone read the Terms Of Service about digital media rentals and purchases? The music industry is the all around go to for what not to do. Hindsight is always 20/20 but it's a classic case of old meets new mentality exposing how out of date and against progress for personal gain people are when profits are in question. The film industry has been following the same path for many years now. To date nobody knows an end game with digital media. The purchase itself is digital. We will look back in 20 years and hindsight again will be 20/20.
If I have to guess some large corporations will have to fold for the old mentaliy to catch up with current times.
No worries dude,in 20 years the chip in our brain will store it for us as if it were a “Memory”.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back