theoretical working plasma launcher

Skin Is In

I was thinking today how to make a plasma launcher with a somewhat realistic firing effect, and a very, very simple idea came to me...

You would need to bore out the barrel on the launcher (of course), and also make a part towards the rear of it removable but also completely sealable. The internal would need to be lined with a thin sheet of metal, a passive (like aluminium, so it will not corrode in a hurry) because it will be exposed to flash heating (not enough to retain heat in the metal) and slight compression.

A chamber with a reservoir would be at the rear of the barrel, this is what you would need to access to "refill your ammo", ammo being a small amount of black powder or something similar, certain fireworks powder would be better because you could get coloured muzzle flash and smoke.

The ignition source is much simpler. A battery power source (am unsure on what voltage would be sufficient, but it would not be much) and fuses (if needed) could be hidden in the wrist computer, even powering it if you wanted to go down that road (and why wouldn't you) then you make a circuit out of copper wire from the battery, to a switch (which I would place in the finger of a glove, could be directly on the wrist computer but never seen a pred use his computer while casting plasma lol) and I would use a switch that only closed a circuit while pressed, not a toggle, could go either way though. The circuit would run through the arm, through the shoulder armour into the launcher, connected to a small lightbulb, with the casing removed exposing the coil. The coil would rest inside the reservoir you put the powder into.

Hit the switch, heat the coil, ignite the powder... then you should get a small but extremely impressive smoken muzzle flash from your plasma launcher :)

I would also imaging if you kept the bored barrel relatively slim you could build enough pressure to fire a NERF projectile, to add to dramatic effect.

Uh, you have fun with that...

Nevermind the fact that you would NEVER be allowed in a bar, let alone a con, with black powder, but do you really think it's a sane idea to be firing black powder, given the proximity of an extremely flamable costume? There are threads on here describing how to incorporate Arduino boards and LEDs to create the effect, as seen in the movie, you just need to do some more searching...

ammo being a small amount of black powder or something similar, certain fireworks powder would be better

I'm not sure turning one's prop into a bomb is a really good idea . . . . :)

Rigging up some LEDs is much safer, and would look better too (no smoke). My scratch-built caster has a continuous LED inside, but it wouldn't be hard to add a couple that are rigged to flash.

lets see-- explosives near my ears and flammable material-- Ummm Make sure you let me know where you are gonna be so I am not there-- But points for creativity for sure.
Any idea is a good one until it is thought thru and deemed to be not a good idea.

Sounds like a Darwin Award in the making

This is really funny :D

Maybe BP is a bad example, I was just putting something out there. To me some smoke and an actual flash would look really cool, there are a lot of things which will flash and smoke with little compression rate.

An LED set to flash would be much safer, and almost as effective looking :)

Would be cool to have flash and smoke though.

Once, I was thinking about the idea of having a compressed air duster blow on some baby powder, corn starch, or something else that would look like a puff of smoke, along with a few LEDs going off and simulating a muzzle flash. It would look like a cannon blast (or at least approximately like one) without actually having something flammable and explosive near your shoulder.

I never tried building anything like it, though, but I'll leave the idea out there in case you want to try it.

Yeah, there are a lot of options, flint would work I imaging, so would match heads.

The more I think about it though, the more an led that flashes would be easier, would be so cool to have one that shot though haha

i have an ideah for a cheap yet cool plasmacaster

first go to the hardware store and get a fake security camera get a foot of pvc pipe go to radioshack and! get leds and a battery pack get batterys too!!!! plus a aresol can lid

find out how the camera works hide the sensor flip it upside down then start up on your cannon cut the trademark slanted tube and put the leds in side it run the wires on the side then take your lid and make the end with the hole point toards your head tape glue or stick all of it together then make a shoulder mount where you can pull it off paint it however but not pink unless you are a chick then INSERT THE BATTERYS!!!!!!!!

There was a thread on here with photos of the Plasma Cannon deciding to explode on KPH during the filming of Predator, cannot remember off hand what the problem was but if SFX pro's can get it wrong, then you could well be heading towards a serious injury. But it is a cool idea. Flash paper does give an impressive flash and is "relatively" safe for magicians and some close-up magic work.

***** jumping crackerjacks! Skin, Are you out of your ever loving mind?????!!!!????? YOU DO NOT WANT ANY TYPE OF EXPLOSIVE OR INCENDIARY MATERIAL 3 INCHES FROM YOUR HEAD!!!! I deal with Blackpowder, Flashpaper, and have dealt with heavier stuff (US ARMY EOD) One slight flaw in your system and you will DIE plain and simple. Flash bulbs, and items like that would work best. Years ago I made a system to shoulder fire Paintballs, lets just say it didn't turn out well.

I was just sitting here thinking of it and how it could work.

It would have to be something that requires no powder or anything like that. here was my thoughts....

I think it would be a great thing especially at say a Halloween Contest where it is nice and dark at one of the Local Clubs. I pictured the same stuff we use for Predator Blood. get say a little Nurf Shooter Components and make a cannon basically and shoot off small foam balls coated with the BLUE Glow Stick contents mixed with say some clear enamel or clear of some sort so that it stays on the ball being fired. So when it does fire off it is a glowing blue. I was sitting there thinking, talk about making people flip out, if they aren't amazed already with the suit, or the automated Wrist-blades, or the Eyes Flashing or the remote Tri-Laser last result is to target someone in the audience (preferring a friend of yours who knows what you are about to do) Flash the eyes at him with an instant Tri-Laser targeting, and then FIRE! out comes a glowing blueish ball flying thru the darkness at your target....

Granted, it will not have the same effect at all in well lit areas or day time events. Also you may want to check with where ever you are at if they will let you in to said place. I don't believe any Con's will let you but doesn't hurt to ask but then again I wouldn't take that to a Con due to they are usually well lit and you wouldn't see much of the glowing ball in the first place. And in today's world, you hit the wrong target and they want your liver and kidneys in the law suit to follow...

Me personally all though it was a great thought and I can see how great it would be to pull it off, I would rather stick with the Ultra Bright Blue LED and White Flashing LED's instead. Much safer option.

I have to agree with those of you who are thinking "he's gonna blow his ear off" - I had to laugh at a few comments too !

Hey? - a working plasma cannon would be simpler? a small amount of military grade plutonium and a titanium tube should do, heres what you do.............. LOL : )

I have to agree with those of you who are thinking "he's gonna blow his ear off" - I had to laugh at a few comments too !

Hey? - a working plasma cannon would be simpler? a small amount of military grade plutonium and a titanium tube should do, heres what you do.............. LOL : )
speaking of which I just told my dad if someone is useing sparklers and he puts to much in he might lose more than an ear

A good idea could be to use CO2, like in paintball. If you make the barrel of the caster in metal and the cooler the metal the more of a visual cloud you see with the gas, if the air outside is cold then it we be even more visual. the control mech is easy, just use paintball marker parts and a CO2 tank, i have that on my backpack system, except I fire paintballs as well :D

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back