The Witch (Post-release)

Re: The Witch

It sure looks like it is well made, well acted and directed, and a beautiful set piece. But, just going by the trailer, it has too much of an Exorcist-type feel to it for my taste. Too much 'supernatural' stuff going on is a bit of a turn-off for me, but I will certainly leave final judgement until after I've seen it. But it looks promising as an excellent horror movie though! Thanks for the heads-up, Vivek !!

Saw this last night. I was really disappointed with this movie. I bought into the reviews that it was going to be a scary and disturbing movie, so I went into it thinking that it would be scary and disturbing horror movie. It was far from being a horror movie. I did not find it to be scary or disturbing. The actual witch being in the movie was so little and far in-between that I was constantly waiting for it to start, but it never really did.

My brother literally fell asleep during the movie (he was obviously bored). It was mostly about the family and them struggling to survive and get along. The ending left me going "that was it?"

As a movie, it was good. Great characters, great acting. It felt like life, with real people and struggles. The reality of survival, community and religion of the time. With a little tension here and there. The trailer was definitely a different story than the actual movie.

Just caught this and I really liked it. It is a horror movie in the sense that it's about a "horror-related" subject, the supernatural: witchcraft. But more than that, it's about the psychological affect on those that believed in magic, both the good and evil. The movie had me invested all the way. The acting, the directing, the writing, and the editing all tie to weave this film version of the campfire story or the spook tales parents told their children in the night. Hell, more accurately, it's the film adaptation of all the biased accounts of witchcraft from the 18th century. I really did feel like I was watching a dramatized reading of an account from a Salem's Lot witch whistle-blower. The movie just captured that feeling for me.

Whether it be moldy crops or there being an actual Devil and his possession of women and animals, I thought this movie worked on all fronts. Sorry if people couldn't enjoy it but I feel grateful that this kind of horror still exists. It's not horror in the sense that modern audiences think of where there's lots of gore , monster effects, and fake-blood-covered-arched-eyebrows, but it is horror in equal terms with films like The Omen, The Exorcist, I think; where there's a heavier emphasis on the characters and their response to the situation.

Really enjoyed it and would recommend anyone give this film a watch, regardless of what reviews say about this.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back