The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

this is for anyone trying to make the harness holster out of craft foam.

ok so, i have decided to make my own harness thing because i'm not happy with any of the "market" ones...and to commission a custom one would take weeks maybe months.

20140719_031747.jpg

i do own an airsoft skorpion but i have decided against using it for cosplay because i don't want to have the problem of the harness riding up from the weight of it. also, what if craft foam simply cannot support a real airsoft gun? ALSO i want to be able to modify the gun any way i wish so i can be holstered. so i have decided i will eventually make one out of thick foam board.

since i have never worked with craft foam before, i tinkered a bit to figure out a way to recreate all those raised sections and valleys.

RIDGETHING.jpg

and i think i found a way!

20140719_144727-1.jpg

i did this with four layers of regular craft foam sheets, and a low temp hot glue gun, as well as a heat gun to mold the very top craft foam sheet to form into the valleys created by the middle layers of foam sheets.

20140719_144747-1.jpg20140719_144753-1.jpg

i hope this helps anyone who is attempting to create the harness out of craft foam. the end result is pretty sturdy and flexes where the valleys are.

Last edited:
Thanks. Actually I'm not talking about the benchmade. I'm talking about the other knife that you don't ever see. But if you look to the left of the benchmade you will see a thermal plastic sheath that is vacuum formed to another knife. I know about the three Gerbers and the benchmade but if you look closely you see the details of another tanto style blade.

Last edited:
photo 1 (10).PNGphoto 2 (9).PNGI actually found it. For those who may be interested here it is. This is the blade that you only ever see the handle and sheath in the bridge battle. This sheath sits on top of the cop 357 and tec 38 gun holsters it is the sheath that the gerber mk II is removed from. in the movie there are continuity errors if you watch during the battle the knife is not always in the sheath, the knife handle also changes from the cold steel to the gerber. If you want to correct your holsters this is the blade you need I have ordered mine off ebay.

ah sorry, the full res photos didnt load last time i tried. i didnt even see the other sheath...does he pull the gerber mk out of the cold steel sheath?? or is there a second sheath behind that one...so confusing

ah sorry, the full res photos didnt load last time i tried. i didnt even see the other sheath...does he pull the gerber mk out of the cold steel sheath?? or is there a second sheath behind that one...so confusing

It looks like a little of both. Lol. In the movie the gerber mark II is pulled from the sheath. It appears to be a very sloppy fit as to be expected, which could explain why in the stunt sequences the blade is not in the sheath. But there are a couple of instances where you see the handle of this blade is in the same spot, also in screen caps it appears the mark II has a second sheath in behind this one. So kind of hard to say. But as you can see this is the cause of the mysterious secondary holster.

There are two different holsters that have the benchmade on them. So unless he has the knife sheath under the pistol holsters and it comes off some how there are two correct options to go with. Left holster 1.pngleft holster 2.png

There are two different holsters that have the benchmade on them. So unless he has the knife sheath under the pistol holsters and it comes off some how there are two correct options to go with. View attachment 351402View attachment 351403

actually they are one and the same holster the knife sheath I shared a few posts ago sits directly on top of the other two. Gun locations. Check the higher resolution photos I shared also a few posts ago you can clearly see the two plates sitting under the sheath.

photo 1 (5).JPGphoto 2 (3).JPGSo here"s where I am at with my designs still some final touches on the gun holsters just waiting on the arrival of the rest of my knives to finish these off.

Ok, so i just finished pulling some Benchmades out of the molds and I think they look fabulous.
unnamed.jpg I have 2 little things to fix on them which will be extremely easy, but the real one is on the right and the cast is on the left. If you would like on please message me they only cost $10 plus shipping and I can have them shipped soon because I now am out of school. If you would like one please message me and I would be happy to cast one for you. I will be selling the tantos and the Mk. 2 some time next week hopefully.

i decided to build a prop skorpion instead of use the airsoft one because i wanted it to be SUPER light. i think it looks all right for being my first prop gun.

IMG_20140719_175541.jpgIMG_20140720_000937.jpgIMG_20140720_042336.jpg20140727_040854.jpg

for anybody with similar pursuits, here is my process:
1 - base built out of that hard foam poster board you can find anywhere with office supplies. layers are glued with regular elmers glue and then i place something heavy on top while it dries. everything was cut with an exacto blade.
2 - big details are added with thin sheets of craft foam, this time with a HOT GLUE GUN. seems to be the only glue that works on craft foam...
3 - masking tape everywhere, because paper mache does not stick to foam very well. final details added including the screws for the holster. grooves on handle are painstakingly cut in with an exacto knife because a soldering tool didn't work the way i imagined it would (although it did work ok on my air dry clay mouth piece).
4 - modge podged everything just in case, then 2 layers of acrylic paint, then about a dozen layers of glue/water mix. alternative could be spray paint, and glossy modge podge or glossy sealer. i know the gun is actually matte irl but that looked too papery.

the harness. i am looking for an attachment method that does not include magnets nor permanently gluing the poor gun down.

so, judging from the photos the gun appears to be attached using the same "technology" as how frames attach to a wall, by sliding a nail down a slotted hole.

here is the 2 screws on my prop gun
20140727_170342-1.jpg

and here is a crude mock up i whipped up of the harness

20140727_170232-1.jpg

so using this method, the gun slides in and stays there.

20140727_170023.jpg

when i make the real version, the cardboard will be replaced by something sturdy maybe plastic sheets although possibly small metal strips. however, even with cheap cardboard, this method supports the full weight of the foam gun, even if i shake it a bit. so theoretically hard foam or even layers of uncorrugated cardboard could be used. but polystyrene is my plan atm.

20140727_170549-1.jpg

some detail shots here, so you can see how the cardboard is layered to create the upside down T shape for the screw heads to fit in.
20140727_170309-1.jpg20140727_170321.jpg20140727_170431-1.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back