The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

Right side.
Here’s what I did:
If you study the pictures from the action sequence in Cleveland you’ll see there are two different right side holsters. I made a hybrid. Mine is a base layer (grey) of .125 polystyrene with a raised platform of polystyrene that the pistols rest on (black). The platform is raised enough that the Gerber Mk 2 can slide behind the pistols instead of using a seperate sheath.
I did this because it appears in the action sequences that he is drawing the knife from the proximity of the right side pistols and there isn’t room on the belt for the Mk II sheath to hang from it. Also the knife would be lower on his leg if in the standard Mk II sheath. And they use the standard sheath for the Yari’s and the Benchmade, so if they used the sheath from the Mk II it would be there. How would it fit?? It must not be there.
I’m not finished, I still have to mount the Benchmade knife on the gray area in front of the pistols.
2014_0519ella0002.JPG2014_0519ella0003.JPGAny input?

Right side.
Here’s what I did:
If you study the pictures from the action sequence in Cleveland you’ll see there are two different right side holsters. I made a hybrid. Mine is a base layer (grey) of .125 polystyrene with a raised platform of polystyrene that the pistols rest on (black). The platform is raised enough that the Gerber Mk 2 can slide behind the pistols instead of using a seperate sheath.
I did this because it appears in the action sequences that he is drawing the knife from the proximity of the right side pistols and there isn’t room on the belt for the Mk II sheath to hang from it. Also the knife would be lower on his leg if in the standard Mk II sheath. And they use the standard sheath for the Yari’s and the Benchmade, so if they used the sheath from the Mk II it would be there. How would it fit?? It must not be there.
I’m not finished, I still have to mount the Benchmade knife on the gray area in front of the pistols.
View attachment 343309View attachment 343310Any input?

wow!! i have never used polystyrene so i never considered it but thanks i will have to look that up. i agree about the mark i don't think they use the original sheath as it is fairly bulky. i would love to see the progress of this work and how you are attaching the guns.

how about the harness and belt w/ pouches can more people share how they went about making those

i am currently in the process of making my mask. decided not to buy since i really, really need it to have decent ventilation and all the ebay ones are solid rubber or latex.

I don't suppose this helps but I modified an existing jacket pattern to have a single piece "front" and left out the sleeves, I'm sure it would be easy enough to do with most Jacket patterns though? It zipped up under my arm and the straps were simply created separately and were sewn into the side seams. They didn't unbutton or anything but I had about 3 days to make it -.-

I appreciate the suggestion but A) I can't afford to buy that much leather to make a leather jacket (or even the pleather for a whole jacket even minus the sleeve), and B) I think I've just about decided to buy the jacket that Celeb's Fit is selling. That jacket is winning out, honestly, because I'm more concerned with getting the arm right since I have NEVER done any kind of prop making and the arm is a pretty major prop to do on my first time out of the gate. So I'd rather fork out $125 for the jacket and have that DONE and be able to go to work on perfecting my arm. I want the arm of my cosplay to be as awesome as I can manage. (Plus, I'm already having to do some pattern creation and pattern modification to get my husband's genderbent Black Widow costume done.)

Now to figure out what I'm gonna do about the glasses and mask as well as the harness. I'm to the point of saying that my Bucky cosplay isn't going to be as onscreen accurate as I'd originally intended simply because of time, budgetary, and skill level limitations. Thankfully, though, I don't have to worry about a wig since my hair is the right color and should be long enough by DragonCon to be styled like Bucky's hair.

I also need to get a list of Airsoft guns that Bucky carries so I can start looking for them and their corresponding holsters. (It'll pair nicely with the list husband has going for Widow's guns.)

Thank you again for the heads up about modifying the jacket pattern. I might look into doing that once I'm ready to redo this cosplay AFTER DragonCon once I see how it goes over & how I like cosplaying Bucky! :)

Desi

Last edited:
how about the harness and belt w/ pouches can more people share how they went about making those

i am currently in the process of making my mask. decided not to buy since i really, really need it to have decent ventilation and all the ebay ones are solid rubber or latex.

You read my mind because I was getting ready to ask this SAME question! I know I saw ONE tutorial on how to make the harness but I was completely lost and I can't remember seeing anybody do a tutorial on how to make the belt with pouches. I'm REALLY wanting to see how people went about making the harness and belt with pouches.

Desi

What are people doing about the knives? That's where I'm running into problems at the moment. Especially the Gerber Yari II Tantos on his back.

(Somebody should really make replicas of those, just sayin!)

I am currently buying the actual knives. Once they all arrive I was thinking about casting them and possibly making a setfor myself out if black rubber. If I'm happy with the casts I will offer them up for those that are interested.

Anyone have any updates on jacket patterns?
And anyone have suggestions on how to paint vinyl? I'm trying to beat up and paint my fabric for it. Someone suggested sandpaper but I'm unfamiliar with this process

And anyone have suggestions on how to paint vinyl? I'm trying to beat up and paint my fabric for it. Someone suggested sandpaper but I'm unfamiliar with this process
I plan on doing the same thing. I used a coarse grit and then used a finer git to dull the vinyl. It didn't rough it up as much as it did dull it, I couldn't see visible gouges. Definitely do a test on some scraps to see what works best.

As for dirtying it up, acrylic paint is the best way to go; it'll bend with the vinyl since it's basically plastic. Here's are a couple tutorials/blurbs:
Painting Synthetic Leather Footwear | Team Blasé Cosplay
Casualty Cosplay: Acrylics on pleather
Any acrylic paint should be okay to use, but I do recommend Liquitex, having had painted with it for years. Matte Acrylic Medium will thin the paint out; if you want to splatter it on water should be okay to thin it even further. A foam brush would leave less steaks and a damp sponge would be good for feathering hard edges and picking up excess paint or even stamping spots on. I recommend doing the weathering in layers so you don't over do it. You can always add more, but can't take away. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
What are people doing about the knives? That's where I'm running into problems at the moment. Especially the Gerber Yari II Tantos on his back.

1965544_538445646259745_621467636942740036_o.jpg

I just kinda phoned it in on making a replica and made a two-part mould of a completely different but very similar looking knife.

i currently own all the knives an am also looking into casting them. but probably not anytime soon.

as an alternative, there is an etsy store that sells hand made versions of the knives:

gerber tantos

gerber mark

Hi, I too currently own all the knives (the benchmade will be arriving soon) and I am going to purchase casting and molding materials from a local store so hopefully by the end of the week i will have replicas of both the Mk. 2 and the Tanto's. I do plan on selling them, but for what price is the question I will work the number and hopefully they will be for sale by the end of this week.
I am new here but I hope this works and thank you to everyone else for your contributions they have been astoundingly helpful.

Arm progress! I also did a short write up (pre-paint) of my process here: http://vonvioletcosplay.tumblr.com/post/90463772424/

VVWSfingerssm.jpgVVForearmsm.jpg
For the fingers I hot glued aluminum foil tape to the silver glove underneath. I chose not to use craft foam for the fingers because it would be too bulky and I need more dexterity since I'll be handling things often. If anyone wants to go fully covered, the "Iron Man Hand" method should work pretty well!

I know these aren't the right model, but they are close for those who just want the general size:
$_57.JPG
CYMA Dual P328 Tactical Spring Airsoft Hand Guns w Case Extra 1000 BBs | eBay
The estimated size for these are 5.5" long and 3.5" tall, which is close to the Derringer's 5.6" length and 4.1" height.

Last edited:
The gun on the back it just a kids gun that i just have to spray paint black for $5 at the toys store.Right now i have a strap holding it up but i'm going to try magnet strip.Your costume look real cool.Im working on one for a female friend.I dont have the skills like you and very little time to have it done so i m rushing.But heres a few pic .1404610319324_IMG_20140702_102618_989.jpg1404610465959_IMG_20140622_123313_464.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back