The Winter Soldier - Costume Research Thread

has everyone here seen the interest thread here for the goggles and mask? If the product comes out as good as the rendering and for the price I'd say it'd definitely be the way to go.

So glad I discovered this thread. My main project at the moment is trying to recreate the arm as accurately as possible (we'll see how that goes), but I'm also trying to figure out how to make the first jacket he wears.
1397077159000-XXX-CAPTAIN-AMERICA-WINTER-SOLDIER-MOV-jy-3563-.JPGarticle-2334203-1A16CA4E000005DC-608_634x795.jpg

Anyone have ideas? I'm thinking I'll have to buy a (leather?) jacket that I can modify.

Also, a side note, from what I can see of the goggles in the photo
Sebastian Stan posted on instagram
, it looks like they could be made pretty easily from craft foam, glass or plastic lenses, and some velcro. Maybe leather for the straps, or just more craft foam.

Great pictures they both have different arms though i know the one on the left uses cg in the movie the other must be for stunts
By the way i made his 40 mm grenades you can see them by the lower arm in his belt i made mine with pvc ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398404469.046511.jpg haven't painted them yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I noticed that the neck and hands are photoshopped so I emailed them for more photos and they replied saying that there are no other photos but it is movie accurate. I would consider getting something like that if I actually knew what the finished product would look like, oh well!

Same. I noticed that website a few days ago, but I'm not going to spend that much on something if I have no idea how it'll look. Probably a good idea to keep an eye on it though in case they post pictures of the actual thing at some point.

Great pictures they both have different arms though i know the one on the left uses cg in the movie the other must be for stunts.

Sebastian Stan talked about using two versions of the arm in an interview. In the image above, Sebastian Stan (on the right) is wearing the polyurethane version, which is really shiny and pretty but not very flexible. He said he wanted to use that one as much as possible because it just looks better, but he had to use the other one for the scenes requiring more movement. His stunt double is wearing that one in the picture, which is made of rubber, and doesn't have an elbow joint, so it's got pretty much full range of motion.

I'm trying to design one that looks more like the polyurethane one and is durable, but is still somewhat flexible. I'm going to have to work out some overlapping joint pieces I think.

Last edited:
Here is my harness build. Hopefully the images work cause I'm using my phone...

So, after studying all forms of references I worked out that he has the two shoulder straps which attach to a horizontal strap, which in turn goes under the arms and attaches to the back holster thingy (and obviously the shoulder straps also insert into this holster thingy). It's pretty much a custom build because I could not find anything commercial that matched and I wasn't happy with how the weight-bearing harnesses sat/looked. The horizontal strap is actually two pieces of webbing that thread into a step lock; one side is fixed with an eyelet and the other attaches with a press stud, so it's easier to get on and off.

I bought some 32mm webbing, eyelets, nylon sliders, a press stud, and a couple of strap keepers (I actually couldn't get them in the right size in nylon so had to spray paint metal ones). Technically the front horizontal strap has a step lock but they didn't have any in the right size so I just used one of the sliders. It still works but the webbing doesn't sit as flush as it would with the step lock but oh well.

I bought a cheap backpack from the Reject Shop and unpicked the straps. I made a pattern for the back harness holster thingy (where he holsters the Skorpion) and cut out the back of the backpack (the part that would rest against your back. Including the foam padding and lining). Pinned the shoulder straps and webbing to the top corners, pinned the horizontal strap webbing to the bottom corners and stitched around the edge of the entire thing. I was on my own trying to measure it all out and check fit so I'd recommend getting someone to help to make the job easier/faster -_- Anyway, once you've worked out the correct length you need for everything it's a matter of adding the sliders, strap keepers, eyelets and press stud where they're meant to go. The eyelets attach the shoulder webbing to the horizontal strap. And I ended up applying a dab of contact adhesive to keep the webbing on the backpack straps. Now, I haven't added the weird bit in the centre of the back holster thingy where his Skorpion attaches to but overall it looks accurate and if you wanted you could probably figure out how to do that.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully it makes sense. Lemme know if the images don't work.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398179874.427515.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398179893.210963.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398179905.433071.jpg

So long story short, I airsoft, my friend has a cool mask so he gets pictures taken of him all the time and I'm never in them, and I figured it's time for a change. I decided to look into cosplaying for airsoft, and decided to go with tws. I looked up his weapons loadout, I already have an M4A1 and the attachments are easily obtainable at my local airsoft shop. I was running into several problems as I've never cosplayed before, that and I was going to need something that would be durable. My first problem was trying to find out how to do the arm, the second was the jacket and his vest and whatnot. But I knew that if I did a jacket, I would probably have to cut the sleeve off for the arm. BUT, finding that filmjacket site and seeing the photo with the jacket on, so I'll just go with the jacket look.

The problem I'm running into is the gloves. I need a pair of gloves with metal fingertips.. Anybody help? I'm not much of a DIY kinda guy

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Arda Wigs has restocked and the wigs that mudget mentioned are available again - just ordered the Pippin for myself. I won't be able to really start on my WS cosplay until June cause college keeps me pretty busy, but this thread has really helped me figure out exactly what I need to get and how to make everything, so thank you guys!
Also, has anyone tried using craft or eva foam for the arm? That's what I'm planning on doing, but I hadn't seen anyone else really try that for WS. Hopefully it'll turn out okay; I've never done anything like this before, but I'm pretty crafty and willing to try.

Nova1395 if your playing airsoft in the costume maybe avoid the arm by going for the look when he is wearing the regular jacket and you can't see his arm (when he is attacking nick fury) someone posted a link for the jacket replica earlier on in the forum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, has anyone tried using craft or eva foam for the arm? That's what I'm planning on doing, but I hadn't seen anyone else really try that for WS. Hopefully it'll turn out okay; I've never done anything like this before, but I'm pretty crafty and willing to try.

I'm making the initial pattern for the arm with EVA foam right now. I think if it ends up working and looking pretty good, I'll try making the final version with wonderflex, because it's a little thinner and more durable. Depends on how much range of movement I can work into the pattern though. I think the hand is going to be the hardest to figure out. I may have to go a different route with that.

I'd suggest making a form of your arm to work with (using an old shirt, duck tape, and, pillow stuffing) if you haven't yet. It's really useful to have something about the right size to tape the pieces to, since there's so darn many of them.

I've never done anything like this either, but yeah, I'm giving it a try. Good luck!

Last edited:
I was going for the sleeved look, yeah, and I plan on buying a pair of black BDU pants and getting some fingerless gloves with duct tape on the left hand and see how that works.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back