The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

Tricorder update #16

Greg Jein
Dear Jim,

Like all Star Trek fans we were greatly saddened to hear that Greg Jein had passed away.

Despite being a legendary model-maker with near-mythical experience working on Star Trek props and collaborating with some of the greatest film directors, Greg was a quiet and unassuming person who was modest in every respect. We first had the honour of working with him when we met in Burbank to scan his famous Original Series Phaser hero prop, so that we could make our own accurate replica. Greg arrived with a smile, casually producing the priceless prop from the trunk of his VW sedan, stored in a cardboard box, wrapped in kitchen paper. He was kind, helpful, and generous with his time – he instantly made a big impression on us, and we grew to become friends.​
34484a253496ec65ba4f82d18281c65a68acc7e973650ba203.jpg
Chris and Greg Jein at San Diego Comic Con 2014, discussing the first prototype Phaser resulting from our scanning session earlier that year.​
We kept in touch with Christmas cards and met again over the following few years, first to scan his Communicator and then again most recently in November 2019 to laser scan his Tricorder prop. At the time, we had no idea how long the development of this complex product would take or that now, as we get close to going into production, Greg would never get to see the result of the invaluable help he gave us.​
88a756285d2978fd2a3c80f02328062f08dd8a8550fd8d1e68.jpg
Greg sits calmly watching the 3D laser scanning of his Original Series Tricorder prop at the start of our journey to recreate this iconic piece.​
It’s not often that you get to meet one of your heroes and spend so much quality time with them in a shared passion. Greg Jein was one of a kind and will be deeply missed.​
Chris​

Tricorder update #16

Greg Jein
Dear Jim,

Like all Star Trek fans we were greatly saddened to hear that Greg Jein had passed away.

Despite being a legendary model-maker with near-mythical experience working on Star Trek props and collaborating with some of the greatest film directors, Greg was a quiet and unassuming person who was modest in every respect. We first had the honour of working with him when we met in Burbank to scan his famous Original Series Phaser hero prop, so that we could make our own accurate replica. Greg arrived with a smile, casually producing the priceless prop from the trunk of his VW sedan, stored in a cardboard box, wrapped in kitchen paper. He was kind, helpful, and generous with his time – he instantly made a big impression on us, and we grew to become friends.​
Chris and Greg Jein at San Diego Comic Con 2014, discussing the first prototype Phaser resulting from our scanning session earlier that year.​
We kept in touch with Christmas cards and met again over the following few years, first to scan his Communicator and then again most recently in November 2019 to laser scan his Tricorder prop. At the time, we had no idea how long the development of this complex product would take or that now, as we get close to going into production, Greg would never get to see the result of the invaluable help he gave us.​
Greg sits calmly watching the 3D laser scanning of his Original Series Tricorder prop at the start of our journey to recreate this iconic piece.​
It’s not often that you get to meet one of your heroes and spend so much quality time with them in a shared passion. Greg Jein was one of a kind and will be deeply missed.​
Chris​
Just about to post this myself. Sad very sad indeed. RIP Mr. Jein.

Last edited:
I purchased my Communicator through startrek.com. Did Wand sell them (and the Phaser) directly at first? I was late on that. ugh

I purchased my Communicator through startrek.com. Did Wand sell them (and the Phaser) directly at first? I was late on that. ugh
They might have but I bought both the Phaser and Communicator at Best Buy at a huge discounted price. But with the Tricorder I'm not waiting and just getting it. I think this could be a huge hit for the Wand Company.

They sold them through selected retailers like startrek.com & Thinkgeek here in the US. You could not buy directly from them. When they first announced the Tricorder they said they will let us know when and where to purchase it, although I could have sworn they said they would be selling them direct but I can't find where I read it.

“… or that now, as we get close to going into production…”

Update #17 will probably announce an end of year or early 2023 release as is contained in Article 14, Section 31 of The Wand Company Starfleet Charter.

“… or that now, as we get close to going into production…”

Update #17 will probably announce an end of year or early 2023 release as is contained in Article 14, Section 31 of The Wand Company Starfleet Charter.
From your mouth to God’s ear. I dearly hope so—I’m definitely in for two.

I’m really hoping they didn’t have to redesign anything to get past components going end-of-life or just plain unavailable during the supply chain disaster. But it wouldn’t surprise me. If so, God bless ‘em for hanging tough and getting us the product.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back