The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

Everything from Wah's original drawing through the hero props up to TWC's schematics are somewhere in the 100°-115° range. I feel like anything in that window will look "good enough", for much the same reason a communicator can look right with the antenna grid anywhere from 90° to a 200° reflex angle from a broken stop. I personally think it looks best in a 135°-160° window for that, but anything in that previous range is backed up by the show. Same with seeing one or another tricorder that's apparently been twisted past its stops, but even then I don't remember seeing anything past 135°.

I'm starting off this message stating this is NOT an attack on anyone in this thread.

It seems a few people seem to think The Wand Company makes prop replicas, they do NOT make prop replicas. They do NOT have the license to do so. What they make has to have real world applications and they do an amazing job of that.

Is it possible to playback your own video files through the monitor at all?

Thinking out loud, would be cool to load up a few TOS episodes as and watch them on the actual tricorder for fun lol.

They did say the Tricirder Will also contain:

“a small collection of historical archive files”.

These could very well be episode clips.

They also said:

“(and then leaving the other exciting tricorder functions buried in somewhere else in the user interface)”

and:

“Our tricorder does more than just sense and record data from the environment. Its capabilities will be explored in detail in future posts”

I would reserve any disappointment until all updates are delivered and we know what all the functions are going to be.
I speculate that the “archival” material could very well be images based upon those seen in “City in the Edge of Forever” or other episodes in which the Tricorder screen was actually used.

So TWC showed different labeling options in their last blog for the data disks. But to be truly user friendly, there should be a color dot or label on the outer edge of each disk. Even though that wouldn’t be true to the onscreen prop design. I actually wouldn’t mind a corresponding color dot on the edge of the disk.

FD6D100A-4077-4B95-AB78-7CAED4E89667.jpeg

Is it possible to playback your own video files through the monitor at all?
blspro covered most of what's known right now. There's also the MicroSD card slot designed inconspicuously into the side of the hood next to the screen. Chris said that was more hypothetical in this stage, pending the whole "being able to make it go" thing. He also said there wouldn't be any Bluetooth connectivity, as currently designed. Both of these may change.

to be truly user friendly, there should be a color dot or label on the outer edge of each disk.
I can understand the logic of this request. Most people won't use the replica enough to recall where they put *which* disc. As such, they'll have to pop out each one to try to find the one they're looking for. Most buyers won't care, but I can definitely see how that would be irksome for some.
Even though that wouldn’t be true to the onscreen prop design. I actually wouldn’t mind a corresponding color dot on the edge of the disk.
For those who are not concerned with the discs being "true to the onscreen prop design", there are alternatives one could use - up to and including placing corresponding marker dots or paint dots etc on the disc one self. That way everyone - the easy goers and the die hards alike - are happy. :)

In one of TWC blog replies when someone asked if the Tricorder would still be $250, they said it would be below $300. So I think the price is creeping up a bit.

That still seems fair. I mean, I remember the days of Master Replicas where their tricorder would have only had lights and sounds and been more like $400 in 2005 money.

Honestly. if they said this thing was going to be $500 I would think "too expensive for me, but totally fair."

Under $300 is frankly incredible for something like this. It's a "take my money" kind of purchase for me at that price.

My wife is super unhappy that I'm going to buy this, but I don't care. It's a must-have. (And I missed out on the comm because at the time I felt I couldn't justify $150, and now I regret it.)

Under $300 is frankly incredible for something like this. It's a "take my money" kind of purchase for me at that price.
Agreed. 250ish seems a bargain for this item. And, depending upon the functions available, it's a price point that makes buying a couple or more and tricking them out differently (if they have such capabilities) quite doable. That's one of the things that makes me interested in the features and functions of TWCs replica. :)

Last edited:
”Rails, where we’re going we don’t need rails.”

C120C8E1-1574-4FE8-91E7-4C14DC04C6B1.jpeg

I had no interest in buying this but now I might and I need to re-watch all of every Star Trek ever made. I‘m probably just remembering things with rose colored glasses. Might need to repaint mine all rose colored.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back