The Wand Company TOS Tricorder is coming!

TRICORDER_20210225-v2.jpg

If you click on the picture in my other post, you can enlarge it and see this quite clearly indeed.

blspro noticed this back in early April and there was discussion about it on page 6 of this thread. He points out his discoveries in posts 104 and114. If you actually take a second to zoom the pic in as asalaw suggested, the "microSD" is pretty clearly visible. You have to squint a bit to isolate the rest from the surrounding componentry, but it's there.

Yeah, as IP indicates, when I pointed this out earlier, I said many of the details are difficult to make out because of all the "clutter" (overlapping, transparent details). If one look at the pic I include below, then back up to asalaw's pic, you should be able to make things out.
filled sd card.jpg

My only concern (besides my previously mentioned interruption of the clean exterior lines) is the 1gb size listing. I am HOPING that is just an example, and not a limit, on what the ARM processor and software is able to read (kind of the way Windows used to be limited to reading just 2gb max on a HD).

Since there will *presumably* be some form of video playback capabilities, I was hoping to be able to put a 20+ gb card in and store all the TOS episodes for playback on the Tricorder (and maybe some other fun stuff too). 1gb would really limit storage capabilities.

I have to imagine that Edith Keeler data will be one of the "number of other archive files and interesting pieces of pre-recorded information ready for an eager crew member to explore and enjoy at their leisure" mentioned in Update #5.

Last edited:
blspro, d'you think it could maybe be 1TB? Edited to clarify: I see the card in the wireframe said 1GB, but that could be a stock wireframe that they've had in their computer archives. Why change it? The form-factor has been the same for years. AFAIK, the industry standard is still 32GB (anyone know if they've upped it to 64GB yet?), not counting devices intended to use higher-capacity storage.

32GB is enough for over forty hours of uncompressed music files, and multiple hours of HD video content. 1TB would just be ridiculous for storage, when even 16GB would be plenty for hours of swappable A/V content -- and that's independent of anything that's in onboard memory.

"AFAIK, the industry standard is still 32GB"

But the issue isn't the 'industry standard' for cards, but what the particular processor and software they've chosen can handle. As I indicated, like you, I am hoping that was just a handy example, not a limit. But, since TWC says they have both flash AND sd card memory, and since they've not explained why they divided up the memory into two forms yet, we just don't know. There's still a *lot* of information we need to be given.

Last edited:
But the issue isn't the 'industry standard' for cards, but what the particular processor and software they've chosen can handle. As I indicated, and like you, I am hoping that was just a handy example, not a limit.

Since TWC says they have both flash AND sd card memory, and since they've not explained why they divided up the memory into two forms yet, we still have a lot to learn.
Well, by 'industry standard' I mean what the majority of makers of consumer electronics make their devices able to handle. None of the phones or tablets I've gotten in the last decade have been able to do anything higher than 32GB. Not everyone does that, but, for convenience, until enough makers demand a microSD surface-mount card reader that can handle higher, the component makers won't make them in bulk.

Oh, I understand the economies of production. And, from what I've read, the ARM processor they've chosen is somewhat powerful. But the issue is the processor/software combination. And we've no idea what the maker of this device has chosen nor what it can handle. As I noted previously, HD capacity actually outstripped what the software was capable of handling at the time. So we simply need more information.

:shrug:

Last edited:
Remember when we were all geeking out over the MR tricorder that had a topographical picture of Cestus III on the viewscreen? It made the scanning noise and we dropped $350.00 for it no questions asked?

Um, I do, and I'm thankful for the Wand Company tricorder regardless of scan disk size, slot in the side, and whether or not I can pick up green chicks at a convention with it. Though that would be a bonus!

Remember when we were all geeking out over the MR tricorder that had a topographical picture of Cestus III on the viewscreen? It made the scanning noise and we dropped $350.00 for it no questions asked?

Um, I do, and I'm thankful for the Wand Company tricorder regardless of scan disk size, slot in the side, and whether or not I can pick up green chicks at a convention with it. Though that would be a bonus!
Yup! I once saw a gorn chick at a convention. She wore a button that said, "Me so gorny!" :p

Well... waiting with bated breath for the next update. Monday, right? They're going to talk about cutting the tooling for production.

Ima go call the Guardian of Forever on my communicator and see if I can jump to Monday. I'll let you know how it goes. :p

I think this is my first kinky RPF thread. :p

In other news, in the tricorder blog comments, I've asked Chris Barnardo about the SD card. No answer yet. We'll see.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back