The Walking Dead - Season 6 Discussion

that is the whole point in the REAL WORLD the riot gear would not work all that well but Glenn pushed right through without any trouble so it is magical riot gear in TWD World just like in the REAL WORLD if a zombie saliva is deadly there blood would be just as deadly but in TWD world it is not.
makes no sense except for ease of writing and so they can spray blood all over while everyone has open wounds and mouths (who does that ) to look cool on screen

and if chain mail is too heavy someone needs to let the middle ages know millions of dead Europeans need to know lol

Last edited:
it should be Glenn on the walkie along with the ground clearance of the dumpster if you look close the color of fabric being torn apart was nicks coat not Glenn's shirt they were close in color but not exactly the same (im sure on purpose and they have drawn it out way too long to reveal he is dead and had way to many small clues that he is not also they have never let someone else's death be in any way in doubt as others on here have stated why now make us wonder for a month or longer just to show oh yeah he died whaa whaa .

that is the whole point in the REAL WORLD the riot gear would not work all that well but Glenn pushed right through without any trouble so it is magical riot gear in TWD World just like in the REAL WORLD if a zombie saliva is deadly there blood would be just as deadly but in TWD world it is not.
makes no sense except for ease of writing and so they can spray blood all over while everyone has open wounds and mouths (who does that ) to look cool on screen

And if chain mail is too heavy someone needs to let the middle ages know millions of dead Europeans need to know lol

It may not be the saliva that's the problem necessarily, it could be just bacteria that builds up between the teeth from all of the rotting flesh in their mouth and from what they're eating. Of course, the flaw in my theory is that I think that even a bite from a freshly turned person is still deadly, which supports the saliva idea. Still, saliva is not the same as blood, it could easily be that the pathogen that kills is only found in the saliva and not found in any other bodily fluid.

I didn't say that mail was too heavy, just heavy in comparison to leather which is more than enough to stop a walker bite, at least it should be. Even better, although it might a bit too warm for the DMV area would be a nice gambeson or padded jack, those would give excellent protection against a walker as well as still providing excellent mobility. Add a bit of leather, plastic, or metal to the arms and legs and you'd have excellent protection against walker bites, even those with broken teeth that make them a little more fang like than normal which would be the only thing that a gambeson might not protect against.

- - - Updated - - -

Major tech question: how come the gasoline did not go bad in the TWD world after the first two or three years?

That's because it's magic gasoline, full of magical preservatives that keeps it from going bad, ever. In TWD they've mastered the production of a Twinkie blend of gasoline, guaranteed to stay fresh for as long a Twinkie.

Major tech question: how come the gasoline did not go bad in the TWD world after the first two or three years?

They run it thru a coffee filter to weed out all impuries! LOL

I know one thing I've been wondering, ok, you get bit by a zombie you die and turn into a zombie, but if you splatter a zombie in the head and all the blood splatters into your face in your mouth, you don't die. Very odd... another thing... why not just wait it out and let the zombies die on their own... I mean, sure they are already dead, but the brain matter that is controlling them is going to rot more then the flesh being a softer tissue. So if an actual zombie apocolypse happened, I give the zombies maybe 6-8 months TOPs to decompose the brain tissue enough to actually kill the zombies (this is not including the various insects that surround these things) which is something you don't see much of in the zombie world... why aren't these zombies just infested with fly and bug larva. You would think that the rotting flesh would attract bugs galore! But yet, you see these zombies walking around and no flies swarming around them or maggots eating their flesh. The bugs alone in the zombie world would pretty much wipe out all the zombies in a very short amount of time down to nothing but bones. They use beetles in forensics labs to clean the bones of all the dead tissue and it happens in a matter of hours. So, if we look at this in a completely realistic way, if the zombie apocolypse ever did happen, your best bet for survival would probably be to hunker down and wait it out. The first wave would be the worst... the second and third waves wouldn't be as bad but the first wave would have completely deteriorated by now... by the time you get to the 4th and 5th waves you'd have very little zombies running around, because th 2nd and 3rd waves would be dead and all that remained could be picked off pretty easily! Of course if you die you turn into a zombie, but hey, your friend can put a bullet thru your skull for you!

I think I just opened a can of worms here!

Wouldn't chain mail be a little too noisy?

How can a zombie hear people inside a closed building ( pet store) yet can't hear Sasha carving Dixon on a metal door 100ft away?

How can a zombie hear people inside a closed building ( pet store) yet can't hear Sasha carving Dixon on a metal door 100ft away?

Selective hearing?

As for mail, I don't think it's all that noisy, a lot quieter than full suit of plate I'd imagine.

They run it thru a coffee filter to weed out all impuries! LOL

I know one thing I've been wondering, ok, you get bit by a zombie you die and turn into a zombie, but if you splatter a zombie in the head and all the blood splatters into your face in your mouth, you don't die. Very odd... another thing... why not just wait it out and let the zombies die on their own... I mean, sure they are already dead, but the brain matter that is controlling them is going to rot more then the flesh being a softer tissue. So if an actual zombie apocolypse happened, I give the zombies maybe 6-8 months TOPs to decompose the brain tissue enough to actually kill the zombies (this is not including the various insects that surround these things) which is something you don't see much of in the zombie world... why aren't these zombies just infested with fly and bug larva. You would think that the rotting flesh would attract bugs galore! But yet, you see these zombies walking around and no flies swarming around them or maggots eating their flesh. The bugs alone in the zombie world would pretty much wipe out all the zombies in a very short amount of time down to nothing but bones. They use beetles in forensics labs to clean the bones of all the dead tissue and it happens in a matter of hours. So, if we look at this in a completely realistic way, if the zombie apocolypse ever did happen, your best bet for survival would probably be to hunker down and wait it out. The first wave would be the worst... the second and third waves wouldn't be as bad but the first wave would have completely deteriorated by now... by the time you get to the 4th and 5th waves you'd have very little zombies running around, because th 2nd and 3rd waves would be dead and all that remained could be picked off pretty easily! Of course if you die you turn into a zombie, but hey, your friend can put a bullet thru your skull for you!

I think I just opened a can of worms here!

See my answer above.

STOP ASKING QUESTIONS. JUST SHUT UP AND ACCEPT OUR BRILLIANT SHOW.

;)

In seriousness, though, there's a LOT to how the Walking Dead operates that just...doesn't translate in any even vaguely realistic sense. Biting through denim, the fact that zombies should, eventually, completely decompose, zombie selective hearing, the viability of scavenged petrol and gunpowder, etc. There's just a ton of stuff that doesn't hold up to a whole lot of scrutiny. Character behavior often -- but not always -- falls into this trap as well.

The bottom line is simple:

The answer to most of your questions is "Because otherwise we don't have a story."

Not that it really matters that much, but gunpowder when loaded into a cartridge doesn't really go bad, not for a long time. This is why you can buy pretty old surplus ammo and still shoot it with no problem, that's why there's even a market for surplus ammo at all. A bigger concern would probably be how long gun cleaning solutions remain good for. Most modern guns can run for quite a while between cleanings but eventually you're going to want clean your guns to keep them in good running order and simply swabbing them with a rag or q-tips is only going to get it so clean and if you're using older surplus ammo you're really going to want to give your gun a good cleaning regularly because of the corrosive primers often used in older ammo, esp. surplus Soviet/ComBloc ammo.

the bites the gas the riot gear it is all magic that's my point we either have to except every grain of b.s. they throw or it all unravels and the constant ridiculously stupid decisions which only drive they story in an action packed way.
a realistic zombie apocalypse would be like others stated a waiting game that would be over by now or it would have to be more like a mutated rabies virus where you don't die just go crazy in the cabasa.

Last edited:
Not that it really matters that much, but gunpowder when loaded into a cartridge doesn't really go bad, not for a long time. This is why you can buy pretty old surplus ammo and still shoot it with no problem, that's why there's even a market for surplus ammo at all. A bigger concern would probably be how long gun cleaning solutions remain good for. Most modern guns can run for quite a while between cleanings but eventually you're going to want clean your guns to keep them in good running order and simply swabbing them with a rag or q-tips is only going to get it so clean and if you're using older surplus ammo you're really going to want to give your gun a good cleaning regularly because of the corrosive primers often used in older ammo, esp. surplus Soviet/ComBloc ammo.

Yeah but gunpowder isn't that difficult to make either. I'm sure if you were in the military or on the force you would have learned out how to make gunpowder as part of your training.

Yeah but gunpowder isn't that difficult to make either. I'm sure if you were in the military or on the force you would have learned out how to make gunpowder as part of your training.

Nope, not taught. At most, if you're an armorer you'll learn how to work on and repair guns but not making gunpowder, that's not a part of any military's training that I know of. There's really no need, there's not going to be situation ever where you're going to need to know how to make gunpowder, if you're in a situation where you're low on ammo you call in for for more ammo to be sent to you and you'll probably get it be it by truck or air drop. If they can't get in then it won't matter because while you'll have the brass for reloading, you won't have the primers or bullets, which renders the ability to make your own gunpowder moot, and that's if you even have the reloading equipment that no military unit, as far as I know, is issued or even buys with their own funds. Then there's the difference between basic gunpowder or blackpowder and modern smokeless gunpowder, blackpowder is a lot less effective than modern gunpowder and I don't know how well modern firearms would work firing blackpowder cartridges, I suppose good enough in a SHTF situation but in a modern warfare scenario I'd say that it's less than ideal.

Right, but we're also assuming the ammunition is stored in the right conditions. While I expect ammo is fairly hardy, if it's just sitting in, say, a really humid room for a year and a half...will it still be good?

Blackpowder, as I understand it, isn't hard to make IF you have the necessary ingredients. Getting them, though, may not be that easy. Modern gunpowder, though, is different. For one thing, it's smokeless (blackpowder kicks off a lot of smoke). It also, I think, creates more powerful muzzle velocities due to higher pressure generated by the powder.

So, basically, yeah, you could probably whip together rudimentary blackpowder, but making modern smokeless powder might be more tricky. Basically, it's fine for Captain Kirk to kill a xorn with, but it's not something you'd want to stick into your AR-15 and reloaded rounds.

You'd be better off finding a supply of lead and a bullet mold, but using as much old powder as you could find.

Of course, this brings up a separate issue entirely in the show, that being the fact that the survivors almost never seem to run out of ammo. They reload sometimes, but they very often do NOT appear to be carrying a bunch of spare magazines on them. Moreover, while there's a fair amount of reliance on weapons using the same calibre and magazine types (e.g., lots of NATO 5.56 and STANAG mags, a fair number of 9mm pistols), we've also seen a few AK-family weapons pop up. Now, it's true that they may have been chambered for NATO rounds, but if not, then there must be an awfully large supply of random Russian ammo lying around in the Southeastern U.S.

And, of course, then there's my favorite: Rick's Colt Python. While .357 isn't what I'd call rare, I would expect it to be a lot harder to come by than, say, 9mm, or even .45 ACP for a sidearm. And you almost never, ever see Rick reload (and he doesn't appear to have a speedloader, either, which is odd, considering the pistol itself came from his old cop gear). All in all, the show plays pretty fast and loose with a bunch of issues that don't hold up to a lot of scrutiny. Scarcity of ammunition being chief among them. I mean, realistically, every single round is precious because nobody's making anymore. Darryl's crossbow and Michonne's katana are really the way to go.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, not taught. At most, if you're an armorer you'll learn how to work on and repair guns but not making gunpowder, that's not a part of any military's training that I know of. There's really no need, there's not going to be situation ever where you're going to need to know how to make gunpowder, if you're in a situation where you're low on ammo you call in for for more ammo to be sent to you and you'll probably get it be it by truck or air drop. If they can't get in then it won't matter because while you'll have the brass for reloading, you won't have the primers or bullets, which renders the ability to make your own gunpowder moot, and that's if you even have the reloading equipment that no military unit, as far as I know, is issued or even buys with their own funds. Then there's the difference between basic gunpowder or blackpowder and modern smokeless gunpowder, blackpowder is a lot less effective than modern gunpowder and I don't know how well modern firearms would work firing blackpowder cartridges, I suppose good enough in a SHTF situation but in a modern warfare scenario I'd say that it's less than ideal.

Exactly. I'd figure you'd have far less powerful rounds (slower, less penetration, lower stopping power, etc.), your accuracy would be much reduced due to lowered visibility, and there'd be a lot more residue left over, requiring much more cleaning and eventual weapon breakdown. And, like you said, no primers to actually set off the round in the first place (unless folks switch back to, say, flintlocks).

Right, but we're also assuming the ammunition is stored in the right conditions. While I expect ammo is fairly hardy, if it's just sitting in, say, a really humid room for a year and a half...will it still be good?

Blackpowder, as I understand it, isn't hard to make IF you have the necessary ingredients. Getting them, though, may not be that easy. Modern gunpowder, though, is different. For one thing, it's smokeless (blackpowder kicks off a lot of smoke). It also, I think, creates more powerful muzzle velocities due to higher pressure generated by the powder.

So, basically, yeah, you could probably whip together rudimentary blackpowder, but making modern smokeless powder might be more tricky. Basically, it's fine for Captain Kirk to kill a xorn with, but it's not something you'd want to stick into your AR-15 and reloaded rounds.

You'd be better off finding a supply of lead and a bullet mold, but using as much old powder as you could find.

Of course, this brings up a separate issue entirely in the show, that being the fact that the survivors almost never seem to run out of ammo. They reload sometimes, but they very often do NOT appear to be carrying a bunch of spare magazines on them. Moreover, while there's a fair amount of reliance on weapons using the same calibre and magazine types (e.g., lots of NATO 5.56 and STANAG mags, a fair number of 9mm pistols), we've also seen a few AK-family weapons pop up. Now, it's true that they may have been chambered for NATO rounds, but if not, then there must be an awfully large supply of random Russian ammo lying around in the Southeastern U.S.

Russian calibers aren't as rare as you might think, because of the popularity of Russian weapons there's lots of Russian calibers out there these days. There are several different Eastern European companies that make Russian caliber rounds and are imported into the US and any number of domestic manufacturers that produce Russian calibers as well, esp. 7.62x39. AKs have gained a lot popularity amongst shooters these, SKS have been and are still popular since the 90s when they first started to be imported into the US in bulk, and in the past decade or so Mosin Nagants have gained a lot of popularity because of their low cost though they've been going up in price in the past few years. So as a result there's plenty of 7.62x39 & 5.45 floating around, probably in almost the same numbers as 5.56 & .308. What's going to be harder to find will be more oddball calibers 5.7mm (as used by the P90 & FN 5-7) and 4.6mm as used by the H&K MP7.

My problem is why did a U.S. soldier have a RPG? Could they not even find a spent LAW launcher (that are at any flea market or swap meet in the U.S.!)?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back