The Walking Dead - Season 6 Discussion

ALready told the wife, the day the SHTF and the zombies come we are headed STRAIGHT to the harley dealership down the street and we're grabbing full riding leathers with kevlar and full face helmets. It is INEXCUSABLE at this point that the group hasn't armored up yet. Just as it is inexcusable that the group did NO Surveillance on Negans group before attacking and for some unknown moronic reasn the BAD ASS REDNECK CANNOT DRIVE A STICK!?!?!

Especially after all they've encountered and the people they've lost from walkers popping out of nowhere and biting an arm or a leg or getting overwhelmed and getting bitten in the neck. How many of the situations that Rick & gang have gotten into and had somebody bitten could have been prevented if they bothered to armor themselves up? The closest we see to that is the time where Glen wore the riot gear but most of that didn't protect the most vulnerable areas most likely to get bitten like the arms and legs.

You're not in the minority. People need to vent is all. It was a well done scene. I think everybody who watched the finale, no matter how cheated and upset they feel, will tune back in, or keep an eye on spoilers at the very least. But given the number of people who claim "I'm done" but continue to discuss the show like they ain't nowhere near done, the writers did their jobs and told an effective story. You're supposed to be upset.

I think it was the wrong move to cliffhanger this scene, not because it has ticked off so many fans, but because it's going to be a nightmare to keep it a secret. I don't think they will be able to keep it a secret until the October. I'm not sure, from a production standpoint, why on earth they'd even want to try.

I think you're supposed to be upset, but not for the reasons people ARE upset. You're supposed to be worried about the characters, questioning which one will die (because one obviously will), etc., but you aren't supposed to be saying "WTF?!?!?! What BS is this?!?! This sucks!!!"

The problem isn't the cliffhanger itself, but rather the fact that it's a cliffhanger in a show that has already used way too many narrative gimmicks and failed to pay them off effectively, especially within this season. The fake-out with Glenn's "death" was extremely poorly handled, and people's tolerance for gimmickry at this point is all but spent. Go ahead and kill a main character in a season finale. Lots of shows do that. But do it in a way that isn't a massive...uh....rooster-tease. Do it in a way that has narrative integrity and that serves the story rather than for the meta-story purpose of manipulating the audience. I think, ultimately, that one thing people are fed up with about this show is the tendency to hit certain story beats for what appear to be meta-story reasons.

Too often, the writers have the characters behave in particular ways during the show that sort of force the story in a given direction, but which seem at odds with their characterization in previous episodes. Carol suddenly becoming a pacifist, Rick's group alternating between ninjas and morons as the situation dictates, etc. A lot of it doesn't seem true to the story or the characters.

Basically, the audience is now hip to the fact that the writers are consciously manipulating them, and they don't like it. It's not surprising, really. Couple that with dragging out storylines from the comics for no good reason while simultaneously sacrificing the integrity of the narrative, and it makes perfect sense why people would be sick of this. My theory is that the writers are at a point where they're consciously trying to drag out stories from the comic so as to avoid (A) catching the comic the way Game of Thrones caught up to (and surpassed) the books, and (B) because it guarantees more seasons which means more $$$. The problem is that the writers themselves aren't good enough to actually manage making the added stuff work well, and instead resort to gimmicks and audience manipulation.

And I can't speak for anyone else, but...yah, I think I'm basically done with the show. Certainly, I'm only gonna catch it on, like, Netflix if I get bored months after each season has been released. I'm done with live versions or next-day On Demand viewing, mostly because the show just seems like too few really good moments to justify all the meandering bull**** and cheap manipulation the writers love to jam into each season.

Especially after all they've encountered and the people they've lost from walkers popping out of nowhere and biting an arm or a leg or getting overwhelmed and getting bitten in the neck. How many of the situations that Rick & gang have gotten into and had somebody bitten could have been prevented if they bothered to armor themselves up? The closest we see to that is the time where Glen wore the riot gear but most of that didn't protect the most vulnerable areas most likely to get bitten like the arms and legs.

Yup. The lack of armor at this point just...doesn't make sense. Tough leather, kevlar, duct tape, homemade shields, etc., do something. And have a ******* sense of situational awareness. I get that you can get bitten on the ankle by some hidden zombie, but the number of times people get ganked from behind is just...well, it's getting a bit unbelievable at this point.

As for why people keep posting to this and talking about the show, I'd say that's a testament to what the show does well when it bothers to do things well, and to the underlying draw of the concept itself, rather than to how good the show is on a regular basis. Moments of brilliance, no question, but those moments come farther and further between the longer the show drags on.

Cliffanger was a bit frustrating, and do they still have the rocket launcher ? That first barrage would have gone up in smoke if they did. It was a bit weird for Rick to avoid the fight, when he's usually so belligerent.

I said the same thing. They're doing the same BS they used to do on Star Trek (TNG, DS9, and Voyager) where in one episode they would have some technology that would work, but later on in a similar situation the writers forgot or ignored it. I'm pretty sure that RPG had at least three or four rockets for it. I would think by now they would know the fans pay attention to that stuff. It fits with at least the last half of the season of making the cast be complete apocalypse noobs.

I feel like a flash back to 1980 making me wonder who shot JR. I'm also wondering if next season will be more commercial less show.. And I'm sure they are trying to figure out how not to screw the pooch on this one. They don't remember the back lash with Beth. I'm sure this one will be bigger. Pleas people, can we get away from the comic a bit more.

Opening scene of next season will be Rick waking up in hospital. He dreamed it all!

I enjoyed this season more than most of the others, but the ending was meh. Lazy writing (like the above). It's like ending a chapter with "...then all went black..." ..boring/lazy, imo...

I feel like a flash back to 1980 making me wonder who shot JR. I'm also wondering if next season will be more commercial less show.. And I'm sure they are trying to figure out how not to screw the pooch on this one. They don't remember the back lash with Beth. I'm sure this one will be bigger. Pleas people, can we get away from the comic a bit more.

Why would they possible get away from the comic more. It is a show based on a comic. It should be MORE similar to the comic. It's not an accident that the comic has been going on for so long. It has to be over 10 years now.

If they wanted to do a show INSPIRED by the comic, they could have done it without the same characters and the same title. But that would have been a different show.

The comic actually moves at a decently brisk pace. That's why, in my opinion, they stray from it. I think the comic can support, maybe, a 13-episode season. Actually, right around when Negan shows up, it seems to me that the comic would actually only be able to support about a 10 episode season. And maybe not even that. The panels have gotten bigger, they do more big splash pages, etc. It looks great, but it cuts down on actual material for the show runners to use. That said, the comic actually is reasonably well paced.

The show, on the other hand, drags interminably in between big events in the comic. You really get the sense, if you read the comic, that the show runners intentionally try to make mountains out of molehill storylines.

Examples: the Hunters/Terminus and the Wolves.

In the comics, these characters are threats for, what, one? Two issues at most?

In the show, they get half a season devoted to them.

In the comics, there's no detour to the hospital where Beth died. In the show, well, again, half a friggin' season devoted to it.

Really, though, I think the big issue facing the show is that it's no longer fresh and cool. The novelty of the zombie apocalypse setting has worn off. Which means that what must propel the show now is quality writing and a good story. And too often with this show, it feels like the writers are just kinda flailing about without a clear sense of direction. Or, it's that they may know what happens at point A and point D, but they have no idea what the hell to do for points B and C in between, and just kinda fill the gap with...uh...whatever.

I was rewatching the season finale, and I noticed something. Now, I know people said that Rick and Company's attack on Negan's group was a bad idea, but by the way it seems, Negan was already look for them before they did it. He even says, "I was going to kill you guys for killing my guys, and then you kill more of my guys." So, even if they hadn't agreed to take on Negan for Hilltop, Negan and his group were looking for them for killing the group that stopped Sasha, Abraham and Daryl on the highway. That means that Negan and his group would have found Alexandra eventually and would have killed some of them as retaliation anyway. So, Rick and Company's assault on Negan's group at the satellite building wouldn't have made much of a different anyway.

IIRC, that's pretty much how it went down in the comic. They make the agreement with Hilltop, encounter and kill the small group of Saviours on the road, then pretty much run straight into Negan and Lucille while taking Glenn & Maggie to Hilltop.

I was rewatching the season finale, and I noticed something. Now, I know people said that Rick and Company's attack on Negan's group was a bad idea, but by the way it seems, Negan was already look for them before they did it. He even says, "I was going to kill you guys for killing my guys, and then you kill more of my guys." So, even if they hadn't agreed to take on Negan for Hilltop, Negan and his group were looking for them for killing the group that stopped Sasha, Abraham and Daryl on the highway. That means that Negan and his group would have found Alexandra eventually and would have killed some of them as retaliation anyway. So, Rick and Company's assault on Negan's group at the satellite building wouldn't have made much of a different anyway.

i totally missed that, good catch!

IIRC, that's pretty much how it went down in the comic. They make the agreement with Hilltop, encounter and kill the small group of Saviours on the road, then pretty much run straight into Negan and Lucille while taking Glenn & Maggie to Hilltop.

In the show, they flipped it around. First Negan's group encounters some of Rick's group (in this case, Daryl, Sasha and Abraham), and they are killed. Then later Rick and them make the deal with Hilltop, which lead to the death of the group at the satellite station, making it be two groups of Negan's men killed: the small group on the road and the group at the satellite station. And by doing so, Negan's comment of "you kill some of my men, I sent men out to find you and kill some of you, and you kill more of my men" gives more of an explanation of his motivation, and tells us that Negan and his group would have found Alexandra eventually due to looking because of the group that Daryl, Sasha and Abraham took out.

i totally missed that, good catch!

Well, I missed it the first time myself. The only reason why I came across it a second time is because I've been doing rewatches of various TV shows with a guy I know in Canada (originally, it started off as rewatching Battlestar Galactica and Caprica, but then moved onto rewatching other shows like Babylon 5, Farscape, Dark Matter, Killjoys and, most recently, Continuum. We've also rewatched all WD episodes up to Season 5 and FTWD to the end of Season 1, and we will be getting into Season 6 of WTD soon), and I've been recording the episodes of Season 6 off the DVR onto DVD. So, if it hadn't been for that, I never would have caught it myself.

13323753_1032886103455957_4949969104024147205_o.jpg

Well, as I have said on the other thread, I had never watched this show up until recently, nor ever read the comics. I completely binge watched all six seasons over the course of about 4 or 5 weeks, usually two to three episodes a day. I came away with the feeling of "Wow, this is the best show ever!!" However after reading this thread, I'm beginning to wonder if maybe I jumped the gun a little.

Oh, I don't think there is any doubt that it is a good show, but all this talk of filler and padding has me thinking. Now that I think about it, yes, there were several episodes where I was just thinking "Can we just please get on with it?!"..However, since I always had the next episode readily available, I never really stopped to think about any episodes actually being bad or lazy. I just went straight thru and on to the next episode and kept going, as if it was just one really long movie. Unlike longtime fans, I never had the burden of having to wait a week to find out what happened next, nor did it ever really give me time to reflect on any particular -possibly dull or bad- episode. I just churned through it all like eating potato chips.... and LOVED it!!! But now I'm wondering if I liked it as much as I thought I did (if that makes any sense)

Now that I am done with season 6 and find myself chomping at the bit in anticipation, knowing I've got to wait over another month to find out what happens next, it is driving me nuts!! I almost wish now that I had waited a few more years (or however long) until the show is over and then started the binge watch. This exact thing happened with me with Game of Thrones this past summer--never watched it before--binge watched it all in a few weeks, and am now jonesing badly for more.

Do you think this show works better as a binge watch? I'm kind of getting where binge watching is really the only way I want to watch stuff. I just simply don't want to wait weeks, months, and years to get the whole story!

Anyone else to discuss the pros and cons of whether binge watching is better or worse? Or how some shows (maybe like TWD) might work better that way instead of episodic?

binge watching is the best way to watch in my opinion. NetFlix has got the message loud and clear and look at their success. if a show on regular tv isn't paced well enough, fans these days get jaded at having to wait weeks/months for a show to come back from either a cliff hanger, or, poorly paced show before a season break.

even TWD, i'll watch it live but not pay all that much attention to it, especially with all the commercials they shove down your throat. however, i do record it, and i'll re-watch it 2more times before the next show is on blowing past all of the commercials.

i prefer to watch it recorded and if i REALLY wanted to, i could record the entire season (or half the season) and wait to watch it all back to back.

streaming has really written the new book and i think, it's one of the things that pissed alot of fans off with the cliff hanger. had this all been uploaded, it'd be moot because people would be finding out about the Negan vicitm before others vs. everyone finding out at the same time. none of the binge shows seem to impact the mass of fans of shows from spoilers and stuff, so, to me, i prefer having all of the content available and i control my own pace.... like, 3shows a night or whatever.

you strike up a conversation with someone say at work, 'hey, did you catch that episode of blah blah', "no, i'm watching it tonight, any good" 'yeah! wait till you see it'

next day, "omg, you were so right about that episode... let's talk about it..."

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back