The Ultimate X-Wing Pilot Thread

These coveralls - which I bought in black for my tie fighter pilot, but also come in orange - come in lots of larger sizes. This place has the lowest price I could find, $30 shipped. I am 6' 2" but thin, and I bought a 42 long.

I prefer starting with coveralls rather than a flightsuit, because you pretty much only have to ADD stuff to a coverall rather than take stuff off like a flightsuit. And generally new flightsuits are more expensive than coveralls if price is a concern. Just realize that unless you buy two matching coveralls, finding fabric to match for alterations can be difficult.

http://www.sullivanuniforms.com/Mer...Product_Code=CT10&Category_Code=coveralls+sub

Good luck!

Rick

Thanks for the info. I'll have to measure my chest as I think I may be pushing 50" and that is the largest it comes in the long.

Hey, has anyone seen the "costumebay" X-Wing flightsuits on ebay? Just noticed those listed last night.
I was wondering if anyone had one, or had opinions about thier accuracy. I'd like to update my homemade Dickie's flightsuit at some point.

EDITED REVIEW:

OK, I just received my Costume Bay X-wing flightsuit and vest today. No time to take pix yet, but here's my quick review:

As I have mentioned previously, I am a slender 6' 2" and was apprehensive that the flightsuit - offered only in M and L - would be short, so I bought L. Overall it fits me pretty well. In fact, the sleeves are even a bit too long (maybe it will shrink if laundered?). The legs could have been longer, but since you're wearing boots and leg flares, no big deal. I don't think a heavy-set person would have much room. If you have an athletic build, the shoulders might be a bit narrow, but a skinny guy like me is OK. (For comparison purposes, I normally wear a 42 L in a suit, and have a 33" waist.)

The fabric is substantial - more robust than I expected, and thicker in fact than the air force style flightsuit I recently ordered for my GB uniform from an army/navy place. I expect it is a cotton/poly blend, altho' the CB auction description says cotton.

The details of the suit are surprisingly good - the tab on the collar, for example - but they missed the bottom set of pockets on the front of the legs. These are usually partially stuffed into your boots or covered with leg flares, so again, no big deal. The left sleeve upper pocket IS divided into separate segments - it's not one big pocket like I wrote earlier. Still, that pocket could be wider. The other flap pockets all have velcro closures on them - a nice touch. The front zipper is orange to match the fabric, and is 2-way, an unexpected detail which is very nice. The comm pad pocket seems like it should work OK (I am making my own comm pad, so I can fudge the size to work with the pocket), although it may be a bit low on the sleeve and get into trouble with the gauntlet gloves.

The vest is pretty lame. The fabric is a nice weight, but the details are WAY off. No buckles or fasteners anywhere. The side straps are really one long continuous strap that velcros together on one side. That strap is much too long for me to pull the vest close around me - there was almost a foot left past the velcro, which meant I couldn't fasten it. (BTW, the vest has a tag inside marked XL. Huh?) The shoulder straps are just strips of fabric, no detailing. The front and back do have different patterns of tucks - it's on backwards in the CB auction photo. The tucks are not lined with anything - no tubing or cording, so they pretty much lay flat. You could insert something on your own.

The quality of the sewing is really quite good. Neat stitching, adequately reinforced seams, nice finishing, seam allowances well-trimmed, etc. It is well made. And it arrived promptly and well-packaged (I paid for expedited shipping).

So overall, the flightsuit is quite acceptable for a slender person, but the vest is sort of on the border of badness. The service and communication was good, the shipping fast, and the price reasonable. There is room for improvement, but as many folks here have observed on other CB items, for the price it's hard to beat. I was pleasantly surprised.

Rick

PS - I'll try to get pix at some point.

Last edited:
The front zipper is orange to match the fabric, and is 2-way, an unexpected detail which is very nice.
:)

The comm pad pocket seems like it should work OK (I am making my own comm pad, so I can fudge the size to work with the pocket)
I am also making a comm pad and I am thinking about making casts available later. For this reason, may I ask, how big is the pocket? Inside and the size of the square hole?
Btw. Is the comm pad pocket closed with velcro?

Now that I am at my workspace and tried my tie fighter pilot comm pad in it, the CB flightsuit comm pad pocket is a bit spacious for it. I took the dimensions for my tie comm pad from postings on omegawing - don't know how gospel those are. My comm pad's base dimensions are 3.5"W x 4"H, and the raised inner portion is 2.5"W x 2.75"H. That makes it small for the CB comm pad pocket, whose window is 2.75"W x 3.25"H. The outer edges of the pocket are 5.75" square. The base for the comm pad would have to be 5" square to be held securely in the CB flightsuit pocket without velcro or something holding it in. BTW, the comm pad pocket IS high enough on the sleeve not to conflict with my gloves.

My comm pad is made of craft foam - an idea I had on my own, then found out was old news over at omegawing! IMO, it's essential that the comm pad have a slight curve to it so it conforms to your arm a bit. I was going to vacuuform one, but the foam was MUCH faster, lighter, and CHEA-EA-EA-EAP! :)

Rick

Rick,
Thanks for the review! Hope to see some pics soon. The pics on their auctions are sort of middle distance, and not good for detail.
Do the collar/wrist tabs come to points? Not that the wrist tabs would matter too much if you're wearing gloves.
Is the vest a separate piece? It's not permanently attached to the flightsuit in any way is it?

My original reply: "Yes, the collar and cuffs have pointed tabs. :)"

My bad. Only the collar does. Tabs on sleeve are squared off.

The vest is a completely separate piece.

R

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, but as promised, here are the pics of my flight suit and vest that were made for me by my seamstress; Arlen.
all_dressed_x-wing_vest.jpg

all_dressed_x-wing_suit.jpg

And here is me!
me_xwing_01.jpg

me_xwing_02.jpg

If you have any questions, please direct them to Arlen at arlen@alldressed.net

Here are a few pics of mine,

normal_LX07_097.jpg

That is me on the right side of the pic with the blue Helmet, I didn't realize my chestbox was hanging so low, so I raised it.

normal_LX07_055.jpg

I love the sweet paintjob I did on the helmet, not to mention the weathering/damage, if you look at the insignias they look a lil either worn, or burnt, I will post a pic later of a lil better detail of the insignias.

Here are the helm pics

DSCI0075.jpg

DSCI0076.jpg

Now the one that has white on the insignia is not painted that way, I had done something that made red parts of it come off, and it was actually an accident doing it but came out actually cool in my opinion. The other one looks bubbled and burnt, same thing that did that to the other side only had diff effects. Lol!

Awesome looking gear guys... Here's my converted flightsuit:

19.jpg

I'm right near you Brin 71, so there is the possibility I may run into you at some point at a local event...
Yes Saxter... Krash is everywhere! :lol

Orange.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back