The Steve Zissou Costume Thread

Crazybug00

Hey all, starting up this thread with the purpose of collecting all found items from the Life Aquatic. A large amount we know was custom built for the film, but there are some gems you can find out there.

The Watch: Vostok Amphibia

The Shoes: Adidas Roms (the ones in the movie are custom, Adidas made a replica a few years back)

The Hat: Custom, although the Liquid Skateboards replica is pretty on the mark.

Sunglasses: I've been lead to believe that these are either AO pilots or Randolph Engineering Aviators. I'd love any help on identifying these guys cause I am stumped.

Thank you all for taking a look, any and all posts are appreciated. Cheers!

My Vostok watch should be arriving sometime soon:) As you mentioned, I bought the LQD Skateboards beanie too. Also arriving sometime soon I’d imagine.

For the sunglasses, I think you’d could go either way. As for screen accurate, I’m not sure.

One item he wears really alludes me, though. When in his tux, Steve wears a green, circular lapel pin. I’m guessing it’s an explorers club type thing as Hennessy wears one too. Just one of those small things I’m obsessing over, lol.

Excited to see what you come up with (y)

Last edited:
There used to be an older thread with good Zissou info but I can't seem to find it.

I believe the Vostok Amphibia had a rubber replacement watchband on it.

I think the AO Pilots are the closest. I went with silver frames and brown lenses.

The holster I used for mine was an "Uncle Mike's Kydex Tactical Holster with Thumb Break." I don't remember if this was an exact match, or just close.

Tomorrow I will post a pic of the "Zissou Society Junior Member" ring I made.

There used to be an older thread with good Zissou info but I can't seem to find it.

I believe the Vostok Amphibia had a rubber replacement watchband on it.

I think the AO Pilots are the closest. I went with silver frames and brown lenses.

The holster I used for mine was an "Uncle Mike's Kydex Tactical Holster with Thumb Break." I don't remember if this was an exact match, or just close.

Tomorrow I will post a pic of the "Zissou Society Junior Member" ring I made.
Great stuff my friend. The Amphibia I linked up top has a rubber band almost identical to the one in the film. It'll be great to see the AO's as I ordered Randolph's instead, based on the image below which isn't quite as heavily touched up :). Can't wait to see the ring. Keep up the good work, I'm really thankful! Cheers

Attachments

• tumblr_nctr2vKWVj1rce5tlo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_nctr2vKWVj1rce5tlo1_1280.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 338
Here's the ring I made. I used a 60's era tin ring from a gumball machine. I couldn't tell exactly what was on the sides but I went with some small dolphins that seemed appropriate. Also, I printed the image on glow-in-the-dark paper because it seemed like something it would have.

IMG_20200707_111548.jpgIMG_20200707_111952.jpg

Nice watches and Ring! - I have loved Life Aquatic ever since it came out, and have watched so many times :lol:

I thought I saw a thread about the Team Zissou costumes/outfits, but I can't seem to find it. Has the RPF deleted a bunch of old threads or is there an archive somewhere?

( I love the RPF btw, just to make sure! - I was just a little disappointed that my old profile was closed as I had been dormant for a while)

I’m not sure, dreadnought. I think this thread may be it. Please do post here if you plan to make an outfit.

It’d imagine it would be easier for others if we all post to this one thread.

I sort of gave up on my outfit but I do still have all my LA props:)

870141B2-47A9-4105-AA12-2D56A70A03CC.jpeg

Thanks, @Mechanized - and lovely collection :D That ring is spectacular.

I'll never forget seeing the film back in 2005, and obsessing about the costumes. I have since sailed quite a bit, always bringing a trusty red beanie (just as much a homage to Mr. Cousteau as Mr. Zissou).

But yes, the costume alludes a lot of people. I made a bit of a breakthrough a few years back concerning the coth/fabric. It actually gets to me how many companies have made replicas using plain cotton. From a real sailor and a movie buff, I can tell you they weren't plain cotton :D

But let's see what a 16 year time gap can bring :)

Was watching this again over the holidays..has anyone ever ID’d the medals he wears when in his tux?

Attachments

• BF3CF729-7597-4EE3-929A-B2F04F727503.png
    BF3CF729-7597-4EE3-929A-B2F04F727503.png
    254.7 KB · Views: 186
Just saw that adidas "brought back" these shoes back in November. I find it a bit of a shame it was only a lightly inspired version.

Attachments

• 262-1548442908.jpeg
    262-1548442908.jpeg
    580.8 KB · Views: 184

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back