The "Slave 1"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's stupid to change it, but at the same time who gives a ****? While I agree it was unnecessary and pseudo-woke, anyone truly upset about it needs to calm down. I didn't give the name change a single thought after it was announced.

EXACTLY!

And changing the name "Star Wars" to the much more exciting, "Space Movie," is abso-frigging-lutely knocking it out of the ballpark!

EXACTLY!

And changing the name "Star Wars" to the much more exciting, "Space Movie," is abso-frigging-lutely knocking it out of the ballpark!
"Space Movie". Lol.
Now I want to make a t-shirt that says "Space Movie" in the Star Wars font.

Reactions: JPH
***LEGO*** decided not to put a word on a product package. Not Disney. Lego.

That's it.

Last month, it was speculated whether Lucasfilm and Disney are currently moving away from “Slave I” as a name for Boba Fett’s vessel. At the time, such theories were based on merchandising as Lego had unveiled a Slave I set labeled “Boba Fett’s Starship,” omitting its official name. However, some fans pointed out that this is common, and many Star Wars Lego sets have been referred to as simply belonging to various characters. Rumors continued to allege that future merchandise wouldn’t include Slave I’s name, but it was unclear if that meant Boba’s ride would also be renamed within the Star Wars universe.

Last month, it was speculated whether Lucasfilm and Disney are currently moving away from “Slave I” as a name for Boba Fett’s vessel. At the time, such theories were based on merchandising as Lego had unveiled a Slave I set labeled “Boba Fett’s Starship,” omitting its official name. However, some fans pointed out that this is common, and many Star Wars Lego sets have been referred to as simply belonging to various characters. Rumors continued to allege that future merchandise wouldn’t include Slave I’s name, but it was unclear if that meant Boba’s ride would also be renamed within the Star Wars universe.

Most people aren't even aware it had a name. The first ship you see in the very first movie, most people don't know that's the Tantive-IV. I'm sure Lego was just shooting for the widest possible audience, not making a political statement.

I guess, keep up the "Slave-1" watch and see if it's truly been purged everywhere. Disney hasn't said jack have they? Or are these companies just taking it upon themselves?

Disney refuses to release anything Slave leia because of sexism

Disney changes slave 1 because.. yeah..

BUT disney says it’s ok for the first order to give a some what nazi salute to a wacky politically agenda driven general Hux.. all he was missing was the mustache

doesnt make a drop of sense to me..
A lot of people still jump on the "Slave Leia" issue and claim Disney won't allow anything related to that incarnation of the character to be released, yet no one can actually point to where Disney has refused allow another piece of Slave Leia Merch to be made. There was a rumor that circulated in like 2015, but it was just that, a Rumor that was propagated on sites like "ScreenCrush" and "WeGotThisCovered," but as far as I know was never actually backed up, substantiated, or proven. The most people can find is a location news station affiliate story about a dad complaining about explaining the Black Series figure to his daughter after she saw it in a store and a quote from Comic Artist J Scott Campbell claiming that Marvel had no plans to feature "the look" in any future publications or promotional materials or the on going Star Wars comics.

In Reality there have been multiple items depicting Leia in her "slave" outfit since Disney acquired LFL, including a LEGO mini-fig and a $350 pewter figurine from SideShow in 2019. It wasn't called "Slave Leia," just "Princess Leia" but it exists in direct contradiction to this belief that Disney will never allow anyone to make Merch with her in the Metal Bikini outfit again.

Here is an Art Print currently up for pre-order sales by SideShow, depicting her in the Metal Bikini:

And here are even more officially licensed items depicting Leia in the "Metal Bikini" up for Pre-Order on Entertainment Earth:

She's even shown in that outfit, strangling Jabba, in her "Galaxy of Adventures" Official short:

So, Disney still seems fine to allow LFL to license Merch that depicts her in this outfit. They may have a strong preference to drop the "Slave" from her description on packaging, and they may have a preference for licensees to use other versions of her over that one, but it is a fallacy to say that they intend to never let Her be depicted in that outfit ever again or release any merch depicting her in that outfit.

Last edited:
The ship's name change has become necessary as the character has gotten washed clean over the years. Like having Greedo shooting at Han Solo first. Boba Fett is basically a good guy in the 21st century.

What do you all think of the name change to "Boba Fetts starship"?
I think I don't care.

No, wait. I'm certain I don't care. I mean, I'm not personally offended by the name, but I get why a business trying to sell toys to kids would say "er....maybe we don't try to sell stuff called 'slave'." Also...

I now realise it has been a while since I have watched the original films is the ship ever named?
...It is not ever actually named in the films. The name of the ship came from Kenner's marketing department, as far as I know, and the hardcore fans just hung on to it.

Go ahead and rename it to "Boba Fett's Firespray-31".
That reminds me... Remember when Hux was an important character for 2 hours in the first movie?

View attachment 1484695

How do you imagine fans would react if Tarkin got a beatdown from the Emperor in ESB for failing to protect the Death Star? And then in ROTJ, he helped the rebels and was promptly murdered by Moff Jerjerrod?
1. Hux looks like he's about to take a massive dump in that screen-cap.

2. Yeah, I remember when there was a threat of a genuine power struggle between Hux and Kylo Ren. That would've been interesting, if someone who was more interested in telling stories rather than crafting moments and building rollercoasters was in charge.
A lot of people still jump on the "Slave Leia" issue and claim Disney won't allow anything related to that incarnation of the character to be released, yet no can actually point to where Disney has refused allow another piece of Slave Leia Merch to be made. There was a rumor that circulated in like 2015, but it was just that, a Rumor that was propagated on sites like "ScreenCrush" and "WeGotThisCovered," but as far as I know was never actually backed up, substantiated, or proven. The most people can find is a location news station affiliate story about a dad complaining about explaining the Black Series figure to his daughter after she saw it in a store and a quote from Comic Artist J Scott Campbell claiming that Marvel had no plans to feature "the look" in any future publications or promotional materials or the on going Star Wars comics.

In Reality there have been multiple items depicting Leia in her "slave" outfit since Disney acquired LFL, including a LEGO mini-fig and a $350 pewter figurine from SideShow in 2019. It wasn't called "Slave Leia," just "Princess Leia" but it exists in direct contradiction to this belief that Disney will never allow anyone to make Merch with her in the Metal Bikini outfit again.

Here is an Art Print currently up for pre-order sales by SideShow, depicting her in the Metal Bikini:

And here are even more officially licensed items depicting Leia in the "Metal Bikini" up for Pre-Order on Entertainment Earth:

She's even shown in that outfit, strangling Jabba, in her "Galaxy of Adventures" Official short:

So, Disney still seems fine to allow LFL to license Merch that depicts her in this outfit. They may have a strong preference to drop the "Slave" from her description on packaging, and they may have a preference for licensees to use other versions of her over that one, but it is a fallacy to say that they intend to never let Her be depicted in that outfit ever again or release any merch depicting her in that outfit.
As a side note: "ScreenCrush" and "WeGotThisCovered" should mostly change their names to "SpeculativeBulls**t."

Slave. 1 worked when he was a bad guy. Now he’s at worst an anti-hero. Every moment of him was “Squee” worthy, but when he donned the armor and OWNED those storm troopers i had a Fett.gasm.
At least they didn’t name it Shippy McShip-ship, or Involuntary unpaid laborer One

Disney hasn't said jack have they? Or are these companies just taking it upon themselves?

It has been confirmed to be a new directive from Disney. JediNews had posted this exchange:
Michael Lee Stockwell (LEGO Star Wars Lead Designer): We’re not calling it Slave I any more. This is Boba Fett’s Starship.

James Burns (JediNews): OK, why are we dropping the Slave I name?

Jens Kronvold Frederiksen (LEGO Star Wars Design Director): Everybody is. It’s probably not something which has been announced publicly but it is just something that Disney doesn’t want to use any more.

As to why Disney wants to call it "Boba Fett's Starship" is anyone's guess, but I agree with 0neiros that the upgrade of Boba Fett from villain to antihero is the most plausible explanation.

As far as I am concerned, they haven't actually changed the name of the ship. They have just chosen not to say it on toy packaging. That's not the same thing. I'll save my outrage until I see an actual retcon.

Last edited:
Is it actually changed?
Is it not just how the model kits & toys are sold?

It’s still called Slave 1 on the SWdot-com database

I think they’ve just dropped the name for merchandise

We will just have to wait & see if books & comics drop mentioning it

J

The LEGO Bad Batch set lists their ship as the "Bad Batch Attack Shuttle" whereas in the show it is called the Havoc Marauder...

IS THIS CENSORSHIP??? ARE THEY RUINING THE FRANCHISE????

...It is not ever actually named in the films. The name of the ship came from Kenner's marketing department, as far as I know, and the hardcore fans just hung on to it.
I'm wondering if the name actually might have originated at ILM, during the design and build phase of the miniature. They had to refer to it somehow. And Han's ship had a name, so...

I'd have to check, but I believe it's called Slave 1 in the ESB Sketchbook.

I'm wondering if the name actually might have originated at ILM, during the design and build phase of the miniature. They had to refer to it somehow. And Han's ship had a name, so...

I'd have to check, but I believe it's called Slave 1 in the ESB Sketchbook.

The chapter title says Slave 1, but the sketches say 'Boba Fett's Ship'

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 20.18.51.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 20.19.04.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 20.19.13.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 20.19.23.png
Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 20.19.45.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 20.32.18.png

J

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back